British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   HGV Drivers/PSV Drivers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hgv-drivers-psv-drivers-595391/)

dlparry Mar 4th 2009 12:27 pm

HGV Drivers/PSV Drivers

Hi, I am currently looking at Hastings as a possible place to live (i do have another thread re that on here). Not sure if I am looking in the right place. My husband will be looking for a job as a HGV Driver, preferably, or a PSV Driver. Where would you recommend is the best location? I really do not want to live in a big city or the suburbs of one if it can be helped.

jd426 Mar 5th 2009 3:42 am

Re: HGV Drivers/PSV Drivers

Originally Posted by dlparry (Post 7344561)
Hi, I am currently looking at Hastings as a possible place to live (i do have another thread re that on here). Not sure if I am looking in the right place. My husband will be looking for a job as a HGV Driver, preferably, or a PSV Driver. Where would you recommend is the best location? I really do not want to live in a big city or the suburbs of one if it can be helped.

Hastings and Hawkes Bay is as good as anywhere, just depends what you want.

Regards the trucking industry here. It isn't run on a professional, safety first basis as it is in Europe.

Your husband will probably think he's moved back to the dark ages. They run on logbooks, dodgy in the extreme, but alright if you don't mind working about 120 hrs. a week (most use about 3 logbooks at the same time!) and don't think he'll be getting good overtime because they don't pay it except at the flat rate.

Have you noticed that fully freighted 46 ton KW about an inch off your back bumper while your doing 110km/h??? Thats because they don't have speed limiters either and the majority suffer from "engine driver mentality" meaning the only place for the throttle pedal is through the floor and only girls back off!

I suppose what I'm saying is that put production ahead of road safety. An approach to the job which, frankly, makes my blood run cold.

Perhaps I'm painting too black a picture of it. He might be alright on one of the bigger firms, IF he can get a job. They do prefer their own...

I did 30 yrs. in road transport transport in the UK and was a truck mechanic, class one driver and haulier (qualified CPC holder) so hopefully I know what I'm on about.

angpaul Mar 5th 2009 3:52 am

Originally Posted by jd426 (Post 7346790)
Hastings and Hawkes Bay is as good as anywhere, just depends what you want.

Regards the trucking industry here. It isn't run on a professional, safety first basis as it is in Europe.

Your husband will probably think he's moved back to the dark ages. They run on logbooks, dodgy in the extreme, but alright if you don't mind working about 120 hrs. a week (most use about 3 logbooks at the same time!) and don't think he'll be getting good overtime because they don't pay it except at the flat rate.

Have you noticed that fully freighted 46 ton KW about an inch off your back bumper while your doing 110km/h??? Thats because they don't have speed limiters either and the majority suffer from "engine driver mentality" meaning the only place for the throttle pedal is through the floor and only girls back off!

I suppose what I'm saying is that put production ahead of road safety. An approach to the job which, frankly, makes my blood run cold.

Perhaps I'm painting too black a picture of it. He might be alright on one of the bigger firms, IF he can get a job. They do prefer their own...

I did 30 yrs. in road transport transport in the UK and was a truck mechanic, class one driver and haulier (qualified CPC holder) so hopefully I know what I'm on about.

Hi
Sorry to disagree with you on some respects.I'm a log truck driver in nelson and run 1 log book and do about 60 hours a week including 2 half hour breaks for which I'm paid.We have driving trainer who goes out with all new drivers joining the firm and our company are quite strict on speeding.I suppose it all depends on who you work for.
cheers
paul

welshwales Mar 5th 2009 5:11 am

And now for my 2 penny worth.
We do get time and a half after ten hours and all day saturday.
We only run one log book.
We have more than half hour breaks and never go over our hours.
And if you want to stay in the yard and kick stones round to get the hours in, then they never say anything.
Choose who you work for and you will be fine. If you are happy doing long hours behind the wheel without any breaks and getting chased round then i am sure you will find work no problem.

Good Luck..

dlparry Mar 6th 2009 5:52 am

thanks for the info

TurnersNZ Mar 6th 2009 8:38 am

I noticed no one covered the part of the question about the PSV part.

In New Zealand anyone can apply for a Passenger Licence or what we call and Endorsement. However you are restricted to the class of Driving Licence you have and the Type of Passenger endorsement. There is NO actual Passenger Licence as such like you were used to in the UK.

Basically there is two types endorsement a Small and Large. Small is up to 13seats and Large is over 13 seats which is where the HT (HGV) normally is required.

Its a crazy system based on the weight of the vehicles as to what you can drive and the application process is to easy in my view.

It consists of a Theory open course book for Passenger services which focuses more on the Taxi side of things, Log Book Theory a medical (conducted every five years there after), Police Check (takes up to 3 months to complete) and Practical Driving Test conducted believe it or not in a Car:blink:

Once you complete that you can drive a Bus/Coach provided you have that class of licence.

When I came from the UK I converted to an NZ Car Licence and because of the weight limits in the UK enabling to Drive up to 7.5 tonnes was able to convert to a Class 2 in NZ allowing me to drive up to 15 tonnes and also applied for the Class 4 Learners which means I can any rigid vehicle over 18 tonnes with a Fully Licenced person with me.:blink:

Here I am now driving a 50 seater Bus the only test to prove my ability was a Car Test :eek: Before anyone wants to take a swipe at Bus Drivers I dont drive in any citys:rofl: but I also drive a Fire Appliance in my spare time :sneaky:

So thats the explanation why Bus drivers in the main centres are so crap:thumbdown: actually probably why NZ HT licences are not recognised by the DVLA;)

Not that easy though! Because you either renew your endorsement every year or 5 Years at a cost of up to $100 per year:thumbdown:

The Logbook system for Commercial Drivers is a joke and IMO has got worse with the changes just over a year ago.

As for wages they are not that good probably under $15 for city or school bus runs! I work Tourist Charters so my wages are much higher but in all fairness if you can get a job Driving HGVs then give the Buses a miss.

Hope that helps more info available here http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/

dlparry Mar 7th 2009 7:21 am

thanks turmernz

jd426 Mar 10th 2009 4:33 am

Originally Posted by TurnersNZ (Post 7350836)
I noticed no one covered the part of the question about the PSV part.

In New Zealand anyone can apply for a Passenger Licence or what we call and Endorsement. However you are restricted to the class of Driving Licence you have and the Type of Passenger endorsement. There is NO actual Passenger Licence as such like you were used to in the UK.

Basically there is two types endorsement a Small and Large. Small is up to 13seats and Large is over 13 seats which is where the HT (HGV) normally is required.

Its a crazy system based on the weight of the vehicles as to what you can drive and the application process is to easy in my view.

It consists of a Theory open course book for Passenger services which focuses more on the Taxi side of things, Log Book Theory a medical (conducted every five years there after), Police Check (takes up to 3 months to complete) and Practical Driving Test conducted believe it or not in a Car:blink:

Once you complete that you can drive a Bus/Coach provided you have that class of licence.

When I came from the UK I converted to an NZ Car Licence and because of the weight limits in the UK enabling to Drive up to 7.5 tonnes was able to convert to a Class 2 in NZ allowing me to drive up to 15 tonnes and also applied for the Class 4 Learners which means I can any rigid vehicle over 18 tonnes with a Fully Licenced person with me.:blink:

Here I am now driving a 50 seater Bus the only test to prove my ability was a Car Test :eek: Before anyone wants to take a swipe at Bus Drivers I dont drive in any citys:rofl: but I also drive a Fire Appliance in my spare time :sneaky:

So thats the explanation why Bus drivers in the main centres are so crap:thumbdown: actually probably why NZ HT licences are not recognised by the DVLA;)

Not that easy though! Because you either renew your endorsement every year or 5 Years at a cost of up to $100 per year:thumbdown:

The Logbook system for Commercial Drivers is a joke and IMO has got worse with the changes just over a year ago.

As for wages they are not that good probably under $15 for city or school bus runs! I work Tourist Charters so my wages are much higher but in all fairness if you can get a job Driving HGVs then give the Buses a miss.

Hope that helps more info available here http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/

Sounds about what I'd suspected all along judging by the antics of some of the coach "drovers" I've seen around. Needless to say, I won't be partaking of a coach tour in the near future!

TurnersNZ Mar 10th 2009 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by jd426 (Post 7362315)
Sounds about what I'd suspected all along judging by the antics of some of the coach "drovers" I've seen around. Needless to say, I won't be partaking of a coach tour in the near future!

Unless the driver has European Experiance :rofl:

jd426 Mar 10th 2009 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by TurnersNZ (Post 7364915)
Unless the driver has European Experiance :rofl:

But of course!