British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   HGV Class 1 (uK) ~ Any use in NZ ?? HELP ! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hgv-class-1-uk-%7E-any-use-nz-help-590931/)

Debbie Cherry Feb 11th 2009 10:06 pm

HGV Class 1 (uK) ~ Any use in NZ ?? HELP !

Hi, this is my first visit and hope someone could help!

Me and my husband and 2 teenage daughters want to apply for New Zealand, my husband has his UK Class 1 HGV Licence and wandered if this would hold any strength in an application? I am looking to retrain as a nurse which I know would be much better but its going to be at least 4 years before we can take that further and ideally want to make a move before the girls get too old (they are now 11 and 12)...

I would really appreciate any help....:D

Thanks, Debbie

alanmacc Feb 11th 2009 10:39 pm

Re: HGV Class 1 (uK) ~ Any use in NZ ?? HELP !

Originally Posted by Debbie Cherry (Post 7276403)
Hi, this is my first visit and hope someone could help!

Me and my husband and 2 teenage daughters want to apply for New Zealand, my husband has his UK Class 1 HGV Licence and wandered if this would hold any strength in an application? I am looking to retrain as a nurse which I know would be much better but its going to be at least 4 years before we can take that further and ideally want to make a move before the girls get too old (they are now 11 and 12)...

I would really appreciate any help....:D

Thanks, Debbie

Hi and welcome

If he can get a job offer as an HGV driver that would speed up the whole process, there are plenty of driver jobs out there but you need to make sure they fit the criterea of the $55,000 salary whilst working std hours, this can be done.
But as a nurse you would have no problem in getting a job here, we used www.accent.net.nz to come here and found them really helpful.

Good Luck

Ian & Sharon Feb 13th 2009 2:10 am

To chnage a class 1 to a NZ class 5 is simple, go to the local AA and get the five question sheets (10 questions) remember the answer's its multiple choice anyway and just sit your class 5 test when you sit your car test, simple!:thumbsup:

Thats how I did it anyway!

angpaul Feb 13th 2009 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon (Post 7280390)
To chnage a class 1 to a NZ class 5 is simple, go to the local AA and get the five question sheets (10 questions) remember the answer's its multiple choice anyway and just sit your class 5 test when you sit your car test, simple!:thumbsup:

Thats how I did it anyway!

Hi Debs
This is how it works.Your OH needs to get an offer of employment then you can apply for a work visa.Usually this will be valid for 3 years then you reapply again every 3 years.You cannot get residency as a truck driver in NZ unless your husband obtains an offer of employment with an accredited company and earns $55000 p/a without exceeding 40 hours p/w.There are a few companies(not many) paying that sort of money.You might find that they will offer you that as a yearly salary saying 40 hours a week but you do more.
With the current situation it might be a little more difficult finding an job while you are still in the UK.We are not taking anymore drivers for the forseeable future but then logs rely on the export market which is not good for obvious reasons.general haulage seems to be doing ok I think and you cant go wrong with fuel tankers.Hope this helps
cheers
Paul

Ian & Sharon Feb 13th 2009 9:16 am

Paul,

Daft question!

When you answered that by highlighting me?

Just feeling a bit insecure with being trashed by Spain!

angpaul Feb 13th 2009 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon (Post 7281234)
Paul,

Daft question!

When you answered that by highlighting me?

Just feeling a bit insecure with being trashed by Spain!

Sorry not to sure what you mean Ian
Cheers
Paul