British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   HGV Class 1 Driver in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hgv-class-1-driver-nz-502592/)

Nerine Jan 2nd 2008 8:56 pm

Re: HGV Class 1 Driver in NZ

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5729488)
We tried Oz but the gates were shut for 457 Temp visas for truck drivers.

We are now heading for NZ. We have sold the house, living with parents and coming out with not alot really. Oh yeah.....and 3 kids in tow.

Phil01....OMG. I am worried now. You seemed so happy before. Best wishes to you though.

That's a great shame, are there any other visas you could've applied for?

Good luck to you, hope it goes well.

Maz Jan 3rd 2008 5:57 am

Phil, I love how you two both have such tremendous attitudes about this all! Please don't leave this forum!!! :( :( :(

kato33 Jan 3rd 2008 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5732660)
Phil, I love how you two both have such tremendous attitudes about this all! Please don't leave this forum!!! :( :( :(

Hear hear........so say I!

kato33 Jan 3rd 2008 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5731013)
That's a great shame, are there any other visas you could've applied for?

Good luck to you, hope it goes well.

Don't seem to be. I fell in love with all I read and researched on Bunbury WA. I could of called that "home" I think, but won't be going from NZ.

karonious Jan 3rd 2008 8:12 am

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 5730748)
Hi Nici,

no don't be worried, we had a great time and don't regret a minute of it.

We just prefer what the UK has to offer in terms of money, housing, infrastructure and being back with family. That goes for having lived in Oz, Germany and travelled round a tiny bit of the US! None of them are home!

And guys...we don't see that it didn't work out! We went there, got jobs, fitted in, got residency and have chosen to go back to the UK for a few reasons...partly family and partly because we miss what we had in the UK, but it did work out we just realised we didn't actually want to be there. Like I said before Nici just an adventure!

So go there get the best jobs you can, get your residency and then if you choose to stay great...but you will then have the choice...which is fab! We know we can come back if we want...right now we don't think we will but ya never know!!

What a great post. So sorry to hear that it just isn't the future you thought it would be. But you sound as positive as you can be given the circumstances. Hope the future works out to be all you want it to be.
Karma.
Karen

kato33 Jan 3rd 2008 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 5732916)
What a great post. So sorry to hear that it just isn't the future you thought it would be. But you sound as positive as you can be given the circumstances. Hope the future works out to be all you want it to be.
Karma.
Karen

I must admit to worrying alittle over the original post, but as usual, Phil01 put me straight back at ease again.

Its not for everyone, but it does feel right for us at this moment in time. If it goes t*ts up, then we will move on to pastures new.

But as for you Karonious......your not getting away that easily so expect a visit.

angpaul Jan 4th 2008 2:21 am

Originally Posted by markraynes (Post 5723265)
first of all Happy New Year to you guys. Hope you having a good one.

Hi guys.

me and missus have been thinking for long time bout living in NZ. Im a class 1 driver and wanted to be in contact with HGV Drivings living there so we can talk bout it and wat its like.
Got lots of Questions.

>I want a driving job where you come home every night, like a normal job. Ive heard lots jobs are where drive for weeks then go home. No good.

> Wats wages like

> Wheres best place to go

> Wats living like and how expensive it is. Like Fuel, HOuse Prices (rent/buy) etc

> How long the process takes to move, find house find schools get job etc

Be grateful for advice.

Thanks

Hi Mark
I'm a truck driver in NZ recently emigrated from the UK.It is still early days for me only been here 3 months.I drive log trucks in nelson and get home everyday.Start at 5am and always finish about 4.no nights out.started on $17.50 moving to $18.50 after 3months service.It is diffrent to the uk but it all depends on what you want from nz.we do alot on the weekends ie going to the beach having bbq.PM me.contact me .will tell you more
Cheers
Paul

Maz Jan 4th 2008 9:48 am

Haven't seen you post before, Paul, so welcome to the forum! :) Have some karma. :)

kato33 Jan 4th 2008 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by angpaul (Post 5736684)
Hi Mark
I'm a truck driver in NZ recently emigrated from the UK.It is still early days for me only been here 3 months.I drive log trucks in nelson and get home everyday.Start at 5am and always finish about 4.no nights out.started on $17.50 moving to $18.50 after 3months service.It is diffrent to the uk but it all depends on what you want from nz.we do alot on the weekends ie going to the beach having bbq.PM me.contact me .will tell you more
Cheers
Paul

I will need loads of questions answered when the OH gets off his back side and tells me what to ask :p

Hope things are going great for you guys. My OH work offer is for the hours of 4pm to 6am everyday. We are not looking forward to that too much but will see how it runs once we get there.

angpaul Jan 4th 2008 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5738498)
I will need loads of questions answered when the OH gets off his back side and tells me what to ask :p

Hope things are going great for you guys. My OH work offer is for the hours of 4pm to 6am everyday. We are not looking forward to that too much but will see how it runs once we get there.

fire away.i was watching this forum before we emigrated.if i remember correctly i think you won that bbc program.dont be shy to ask whatever you need to know.quite shocked abot phils decision as he gave me loads of info.
cheers
paul

Marika 38 Jan 5th 2008 2:34 am

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 5730748)
Hi Nici,

no don't be worried, we had a great time and don't regret a minute of it.

We just prefer what the UK has to offer in terms of money, housing, infrastructure and being back with family. That goes for having lived in Oz, Germany and travelled round a tiny bit of the US! None of them are home!

And guys...we don't see that it didn't work out! We went there, got jobs, fitted in, got residency and have chosen to go back to the UK for a few reasons...partly family and partly because we miss what we had in the UK, but it did work out we just realised we didn't actually want to be there. Like I said before Nici just an adventure!

So go there get the best jobs you can, get your residency and then if you choose to stay great...but you will then have the choice...which is fab! We know we can come back if we want...right now we don't think we will but ya never know!!

Hi Phil and Debbie,
am not going to say sorry it hasn't worked for you, as i understand what you mean by saying it has worked, you have just chosen to go back to u.k, and good luck to you all, your house in Yorkshire sounds great. I know you have enjoyed your time here in NZ, I hope we do too, we have so far. You have given great advice, and will continue to do so.

My advice to the other truckers coming over is that, they do seem to like to meet you, but, if you can do it from U.K, thats brilliant as you get your visa before coming over, will save you money aswell, as not such a long wait in this country before starting earning, (spending savings), having said that, we have had great time, looking around lots of places, couple of little breaks away, before OH starts work on Mon.
I'll be able to tell you more about what his job entails the next few weeks, but its a day job, quite good money, no nights out,(thats what they have said anyway,), good training, so we hope it will work out o.k, we can only give it a go.
As Phil has said, we just have to do it and experience it, if its what you really want to do, we would kick ourselves if we don't grab the opportunities as they come along.
Marika

phil01 Jan 5th 2008 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Marika 38 (Post 5741617)
Hi Phil and Debbie,
am not going to say sorry it hasn't worked for you, as i understand what you mean by saying it has worked, you have just chosen to go back to u.k, and good luck to you all, your house in Yorkshire sounds great. I know you have enjoyed your time here in NZ, I hope we do too, we have so far. You have given great advice, and will continue to do so.

My advice to the other truckers coming over is that, they do seem to like to meet you, but, if you can do it from U.K, thats brilliant as you get your visa before coming over, will save you money aswell, as not such a long wait in this country before starting earning, (spending savings), having said that, we have had great time, looking around lots of places, couple of little breaks away, before OH starts work on Mon.
I'll be able to tell you more about what his job entails the next few weeks, but its a day job, quite good money, no nights out,(thats what they have said anyway,), good training, so we hope it will work out o.k, we can only give it a go.
As Phil has said, we just have to do it and experience it, if its what you really want to do, we would kick ourselves if we don't grab the opportunities as they come along.
Marika

Hi Marika,
good to hear you are all settling in...enjoying the summer time no doubt. It's been really hot up here for a couple of weeks now and we've both been off work so very much enjoying the break.

Good luck to Tim in his new job. I'm sure you will continue to love it over here BOP is a stunning place to live.

Keep us updated on how you are all getting on.

Debbie

kato33 Jan 7th 2008 8:38 am

Originally Posted by angpaul (Post 5739785)
fire away.i was watching this forum before we emigrated.if i remember correctly i think you won that bbc program.dont be shy to ask whatever you need to know.quite shocked abot phils decision as he gave me loads of info.
cheers
paul

We were interviewed, but came across rubbish. Just as well really, Roger reckons they would of bleeped most of it out because of me.

Nici

markraynes Jan 7th 2008 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5751145)
We were interviewed, but came across rubbish. Just as well really, Roger reckons they would of bleeped most of it out because of me.

Nici

sorry guys but can u set your own thread up please.

kato33 Jan 7th 2008 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by markraynes (Post 5752460)
sorry guys but can u set your own thread up please.

oki doke