British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   HGV Class 1 Driver (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hgv-class-1-driver-585994/)

jojo3 Jan 21st 2009 10:39 am

HGV Class 1 Driver

Hi

My husband is looking for visa to WTR. He is 48 yrs old!

We have emailed haulage companies (who are accredited) enquiring about vacant positions with their companies over the next few months. No replies. Therefore, he rang mcdowalls who explained to him that they are not on the accredited list, and that they do not offer $55k to drivers. My husband rang linfox who too apparently are not on the accredited list. The personnel manager explained that before they lost their accreditation, the drivers were expected to work over a 40 hour week - upto 55 hrs! Also, after a 3 year temp. visa you could then apply for residency. However linfox said they may or may not keep you on after this period if you did not gain enough points! What is this about? I realise that if the application is going through an EOI, one needs a certain amount of points, but as my husband's qualification is not on this list this would not be an avenue to pursue.

We are really getting fed up! Why are these major companies losing their accreditation? How can one gain WTR is 30% have been wiped out? Is it worth contacting an immigration bureau to help? If so, could anybody recommend decent ones.

Cheers
Jo:(:huh:

p9atp Jan 24th 2009 7:39 am

Re: HGV Class 1 Driver

Originally Posted by jojo3 (Post 7195549)
Hi

My husband is looking for visa to WTR. He is 48 yrs old!

We have emailed haulage companies (who are accredited) enquiring about vacant positions with their companies over the next few months. No replies. Therefore, he rang mcdowalls who explained to him that they are not on the accredited list, and that they do not offer $55k to drivers. My husband rang linfox who too apparently are not on the accredited list. The personnel manager explained that before they lost their accreditation, the drivers were expected to work over a 40 hour week - upto 55 hrs! Also, after a 3 year temp. visa you could then apply for residency. However linfox said they may or may not keep you on after this period if you did not gain enough points! What is this about? I realise that if the application is going through an EOI, one needs a certain amount of points, but as my husband's qualification is not on this list this would not be an avenue to pursue.

We are really getting fed up! Why are these major companies losing their accreditation? How can one gain WTR is 30% have been wiped out? Is it worth contacting an immigration bureau to help? If so, could anybody recommend decent ones.

Cheers
Jo:(:huh:

Hi Jo

Not been on here for a while and I am alarmed to read that you have contacted Mcdowalls regarding a job, this is my husbands future employer!!! and we have paperwork stating that they are accredited. Just wondering who did you speak to from the firm and when exactly was this???

A very worried Tricia x

angpaul Jan 24th 2009 8:30 am

Originally Posted by p9atp (Post 7207257)
Hi Jo

Not been on here for a while and I am alarmed to read that you have contacted Mcdowalls regarding a job, this is my husbands future employer!!! and we have paperwork stating that they are accredited. Just wondering who did you speak to from the firm and when exactly was this???

A very worried Tricia x

Hi
As far as I have heard from reliable sources McDowells are no longer accredited.
Cheers
Paul

p9atp Jan 24th 2009 9:01 am

Originally Posted by angpaul (Post 7207342)
Hi
As far as I have heard from reliable sources McDowells are no longer accredited.
Cheers
Paul

Hi Paul,

Can you explain why/how they are no longer accredited?? Will this affect our working visa application ?? My hubby has a job offer letter on company headed paper to send off with our visa applications, we have paid for our medicals and our police checks just waiting for our blood test results to come back then I will be forwarding all the paperwork to London!!

My hubby has just finished nightshift so he's still in bed but this will be the first thing I tell him when he gets up..

This is our worst nightmare..so glad we ain't sold the house yet or car just incase it all falls through!!

An anxious Trish:confused::mad:

angpaul Jan 25th 2009 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by p9atp (Post 7207394)
Hi Paul,

Can you explain why/how they are no longer accredited?? Will this affect our working visa application ?? My hubby has a job offer letter on company headed paper to send off with our visa applications, we have paid for our medicals and our police checks just waiting for our blood test results to come back then I will be forwarding all the paperwork to London!!

My hubby has just finished nightshift so he's still in bed but this will be the first thing I tell him when he gets up..

This is our worst nightmare..so glad we ain't sold the house yet or car just incase it all falls through!!

An anxious Trish:confused::mad:

Hi Trish
I sent you a PM .Did you get it.
Cheers
Paul

4kiwi4 Jan 26th 2009 1:29 am

McDowall freight are DEFINITELY not accredited any longer, my hubby works for them at the moment, so I know it to be true. Good luck anyway, :thumbsup:

jojo3 Jan 26th 2009 9:41 am

Originally Posted by p9atp (Post 7207257)
Hi Jo

A very worried Tricia x

Hi Trish

My husband actually spoke to the Transport Manager just last week. He was originally from Skipton, North Yorkshire!

He explained that they had only recently lost their accreditation. He also told us that it would be very difficult to earn 55k working just 40 hrs a week. There are plenty of jobs available - however not on that pay scale!

So sorry for bad news!

Jo