British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hey Littletoe, you out there girl? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hey-littletoe-you-out-there-girl-485527/)

Maz Oct 5th 2007 5:14 pm

Hey Littletoe, you out there girl?

How's the move going / gone? You in the Wellington area yet? :thumbup: Update please! :)

danny.f Oct 5th 2007 7:44 pm

Re: Hey Littletoe, you out there girl?

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5390497)
How's the move going / gone? You in the Wellington area yet? :thumbup: Update please! :)

I'm sure she's been here a while. Might be mixed up....slightly.....again.

Rustie Oct 5th 2007 10:45 pm

Hi Maz, She is down in Wellington now and i know she's had limited access to the internet but hopefully it'll be sorted soon and she'll come on and update everyone.

It very much sounds like they've made the right move to Welly! xx:thumbup:

Littletoe Oct 6th 2007 8:09 am

Hello my darlings

Yes, here I am in Welly. Only have dial up at the moment, so my access is a little limited because its so damn tedious!

I LOVE WELLY!!! Maz you were right to fall in love with this place! Just beautiful. We've found a new home which we take over on the 15 October. Every weekend we spend exploring. The girls' love the parks and beaches. People are so friendly and helpful. Even in the rain Welly is beautiful. Its got the rugged scenery and a lot less people! There's actually GREEN in amongst the houses!

I pop on here occasionally to see where everyone is at, but I'm mostly checking the blogs!

Been busy job hunting this week, so am I completely knackered and finding it hard to string a sentance together, its not the booze, I swear!

No looking back that's for sure!

Nanny arrives in T_14 days, so looking forward to having some spare time. Be keen to meet for drinkies for anyone that can stand a loudmouth, terrible drunk!! Looking forward to SUMMER AND THE BBQs YAY!!!!

Thanks for asking after me and thinking of me:wub:

Littletoe Oct 6th 2007 8:20 am

Thought I might share some lovely Welly info for people!

Public transport is excellent I believe - I'm still sticking to my car though!
House renting is much cheaper here, you can get a lot more for your money.
Jobs are being snapped up left right and centre. But skilled migrants are HARD to find, so if you're still in Blighty and see an advert don't let 'only people legally entitled to work in NZ have the right to apply.' Inside info tells me that employers will bend over backwards to employ the right person.
There are few 'rough' suburbs around here, even one's that aren't as 'attractive' as others can make for an excellent purchase. We're watching the house market right now as we mull over our options, house prices are coming down and will continue to drop.
For renting, property management companies sell themselves on not charging a letting fee, but we've found they charge excessive rental rates, and in fact real estate agents charge more realistic rent and are more prepared to negotiate. Also, most places say they won't accept pets, but I think only one house stood by that. Others were prepared to reason with us on the basis that we were actually good tennants and our dog wouldn't rip the place to shreds.
Word of mouth on anything is gold dust. Wellingtonians will offer their opinion on anything from places to live, restuarants, doctors, kennels, etc. They do tend to stick together on things like that, so its worth asking around for anything you're considering.:thumbsup:

Hope there's something helpful in there for someone!

Maz Oct 6th 2007 2:52 pm

Nikki!!! :wub: So happy to see you again chica! Could you please pop me a PM with your contact details again? We arrive in less than a week, we're stoked! :D :D :D

Yep Welly is gorgeous isn't it? I'll bet you're pleased to be out of the humid summer in AKL as well... I know after this summer in Chicago I won't miss that dripping feeling down your back as soon as you step outside!

11ThousandMilesFromHome Oct 7th 2007 11:05 pm

Hey Nikki
Lovely to read that you're loving it in welly, hope the job hunting goes well. Keep us posted won't you
Luv Mandie.H