British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Hey- glad to be here! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hey-glad-here-662965/)

jennifer45 Apr 7th 2010 9:04 am

Hey- glad to be here!

HI all-
still feeling the after shock -
Strange in itself as I've been in many near death accidents in my life.
But today- after all the hype of the ever increasing death toll on our NZ roads, I experienced first hand one of the reasons.
The mindless, total crass stupidity of some youngsters, who are allowed behind the wheel of a car.
Travelling from Richmond towards Wakefield following a white van 80 kph speed zone. The van indicates to turn right and moves towards the centre of the road, slowing down. We move to the left to undertake - at the same time, some mindless yobs in a fast car coming towards us, doing well in excess of 80, overtake a car also coming towards us.
It was going to be a head on collision with the van! He had nowhere to go!
We swerved onto the grass and he swerved with us- the yobs flew by, laughing their heads off! 4 vehicles could have been involved in a multiple- more if the following ones didn't have their wits about them.
I only went in to post a DVD iMovie of my son's wedding, which I'd been making over 3 days. Something to leave him eh?

The exchange rate fluctuations, reduced pensions etc etc- paled into insignificance. All those damned operations and rebuilds to be wiped out by mindless morons, who have never really learnt anything about road usage or driving with consideration for other road users.
How many times have you been behind a driving school car?
I've never seen one here.

Dewb09 Apr 7th 2010 9:09 am

Re: Hey- glad to be here!

Originally Posted by jennifer45 (Post 8478320)
HI all-
still feeling the after shock -
Strange in itself as I've been in many near death accidents in my life.
But today- after all the hype of the ever increasing death toll on our NZ roads, I experienced first hand one of the reasons.
The mindless, total crass stupidity of some youngsters, who are allowed behind the wheel of a car.
Travelling from Richmond towards Wakefield following a white van 80 kph speed zone. The van indicates to turn right and moves towards the centre of the road, slowing down. We move to the left to undertake - at the same time, some mindless yobs in a fast car coming towards us, doing well in excess of 80, overtake a car also coming towards us.
It was going to be a head on collision with the van! He had nowhere to go!
We swerved onto the grass and he swerved with us- the yobs flew by, laughing their heads off! 4 vehicles could have been involved in a multiple- more if the following ones didn't have their wits about them.
I only went in to post a DVD iMovie of my son's wedding, which I'd been making over 3 days. Something to leave him eh?

The exchange rate fluctuations, reduced pensions etc etc- paled into insignificance. All those damned operations and rebuilds to be wiped out by mindless morons, who have never really learnt anything about road usage or driving with consideration for other road users.
How many times have you been behind a driving school car?
I've never seen one here.

OMG :eek: :scaredhair: that is just so awful. Glad you are ok if not very shaken. Well done for your quick thinking, probably saved a few lives there. Sadly these idiot do not learn or care. It will take a death of one of their peers to maybe just get through.

Glad your ok though

Dewb

Genesis Apr 7th 2010 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Dewb09 (Post 8478335)
OMG :eek: :scaredhair: that is just so awful. Glad you are ok if not very shaken. Well done for your quick thinking, probably saved a few lives there. Sadly these idiot do not learn or care. It will take a death of one of their peers to maybe just get through.

Glad your ok though

Dewb

Sorry to hear that..must have been awful. Some one I know lost their MiL on vacation from the UK a few weeks back..... overtaking. 2 killed on the desert rd as a result of car overtaking lorry over easter. I never ever overtake unless its a tractor or the like. I am not that important that I need to be anywhere quickly. Am I one of the few who have on the top of their list when driving 'arrive alive'??? I do not do phones in any manner when driving..again I am not that important to be answering a cell when driving. Personally I think anyone who does is an absolute arse. I have forbidden Kate to use her 'hands free' kit in her work car. I have also banned her eating carrots at 100kph!!!!! Alas all the driving she has done she's gone kiwi feral. Driving needs and warrants 100% concentration. I will not talk to anyone in my car when crossing a cross road or doing any other hazardous intersection.

Him and Me Apr 7th 2010 10:32 am

it's just a crazy ass rule allowing kids to drive....i don't know a 15 yr old mature enough to have such a responsibilty:ohmy:

We've seen some really really stupid drivers overtaking on some really really dangerous roads....take the banks penisula for example....we were driving back from a day at Akaroa monday and some idiot drove way to close in the dark then over took on a narrow straight with a bend at the end with no view of what was on coming....which by the grace of god was nothing. We had our to young kids in the car and i was furious some a**ehole took such a risk with our lives:frown::frown:

The law really needs to change over here, and your right i've NEVER seen a learner car like you did back in the UK

Genesis Apr 7th 2010 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Him and Me (Post 8478512)
it's just a crazy ass rule allowing kids to drive....i don't know a 15 yr old mature enough to have such a responsibilty:ohmy:

We've seen some really really stupid drivers overtaking on some really really dangerous roads....take the banks penisula for example....we were driving back from a day at Akaroa monday and some idiot drove way to close in the dark then over took on a narrow straight with a bend at the end with no view of what was on coming....which by the grace of god was nothing. We had our to young kids in the car and i was furious some a**ehole took such a risk with our lives:frown::frown:

The law really needs to change over here, and your right i've NEVER seen a learner car like you did back in the UK

The general driving standards and road craft in NZ are grade A shite. Its one good reason to leave the country.

jennifer45 Apr 7th 2010 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8478519)
The general driving standards and road craft in NZ are grade A shite. Its one good reason to leave the country.

Of choice rather than smoke or a wooden box!

Whose the bright spark in government, whose agreed to longer bigger lorries.
I despair.:cry_smile:

mcuddy1 Apr 7th 2010 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8478519)

One of the reasons I am off home is this kind of shit. Parked o/s Chch hospital today. In the car I have just sold, and a woman parks in front she does not manage to park straight the first time. Then reverses into my car with the kids in. At the time I waved my arms to stop but alas she didn't look.

Lost the plot and asked the stupid b**tch what she was doing , She just looked at me funny, now if this was a bloke and my kids weren't there I would have resorted to physical violence. CHCh driving is so Crap you cannot believe it.

Am Loolah Apr 7th 2010 11:33 am

Ummmm - my 17.5 year old who now has her full license had driving lessons with an instructor.

My 15 year old who just got her learners is having driving lessons with an instructor - it can happen ...

Genesis Apr 7th 2010 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8478613)
Ummmm - my 17.5 year old who now has her full license had driving lessons with an instructor.

My 15 year old who just got her learners is having driving lessons with an instructor - it can happen ...

5 dead in the last 24hrs. Both centre line crossings. In one 2 brit tourists dead in Southland. In the other near Dannevirke one 2 year old and her dad and another elderly person in the 2nd car dead. What utterly appalling stats aye. If I could I would leave tomorrow the way I feel just now about these BASTARD roads and the feckless twats that ply them. Rant over. I will seeth elsewhere.

Jan n Neil Apr 7th 2010 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by mcuddy1 (Post 8478609)
One of the reasons I am off home is this kind of shit. Parked o/s Chch hospital today. In the car I have just sold, and a woman parks in front she does not manage to park straight the first time. Then reverses into my car with the kids in. At the time I waved my arms to stop but alas she didn't look.

Lost the plot and asked the stupid b**tch what she was doing , She just looked at me funny, now if this was a bloke and my kids weren't there I would have resorted to physical violence. CHCh driving is so Crap you cannot believe it.

Bully :(

simonsi Apr 7th 2010 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by mcuddy1 (Post 8478609)
CHCh driving is so Crap you cannot believe it.

Bet Saudi Arabia at the end of Ramadan gives it a run - all the locals sleep and sugar deprived on top of the usual "poor" driving standards :eek: brought whole new meaning to the phrase "defensive driving"...