British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   He's gone and.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/hes-gone-644907/)

blackburn lass Dec 15th 2009 2:14 pm

He's gone and....

Got a job.

3 and a half months he's been there looking for work as a bar manager (on the ISSL) with 10 experience, had loads of interviews, second interviews, spent a small fortune, I'm nearly having a nervous break down, child and dog have practically forgot him, got to the point were we decided he should just come home and then a friend he has met there offers him a job, 3 weeks before xmas. It is not as a bar manager, it's in a timber/builder yard therefore not on the needed list. So we have had to decide whether he comes home because he will be extremely lucky to get a work permit or to stay there apply and see if he gets one.

He is staying and we need to keep everything crossed, I'm not holding out much hope, but he wants to try.
If he doesn't get a permit he will have to come home and that will be the end of it.
I knew that him going away would be hard but OMG!

Please keep:fingerscrossed:

Dawn X

MnB Dec 15th 2009 2:42 pm

Re: He's gone and....

Originally Posted by blackburn lass (Post 8174656)
Got a job.

3 and a half months he's been there looking for work as a bar manager (on the ISSL) with 10 experience, had loads of interviews, second interviews, spent a small fortune, I'm nearly having a nervous break down, child and dog have practically forgot him, got to the point were we decided he should just come home and then a friend he has met there offers him a job, 3 weeks before xmas. It is not as a bar manager, it's in a timber/builder yard therefore not on the needed list. So we have had to decide whether he comes home because he will be extremely lucky to get a work permit or to stay there apply and see if he gets one.

He is staying and we need to keep everything crossed, I'm not holding out much hope, but he wants to try.
If he doesn't get a permit he will have to come home and that will be the end of it.
I knew that him going away would be hard but OMG!

Please keep:fingerscrossed:

Dawn X

Oh Dawn it must be so difficult for you!! Will keep everything crossed for you that it all works out and your family is back together again soon.
Good news about the job tho....it does seem to be a case of 'who you know' at the moment and hopefully he will get WTR to start ...at least then you can join him. Sheer determination has got you this far .... keep your chin up and best wishes for Christmas & New Year.
B x

Numptyhead Dec 15th 2009 4:22 pm

Hi Dawn, good to read your update but sad for you also. I know its hard for you right now but I just want you to know we have been here for just over a month and its lovely and all that we went through, to get here, has been worth it. It was the right decision for us.

I love the UK but I hope we never have to go back to live there. ;)

bevissa65 Dec 15th 2009 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Numptyhead (Post 8174984)
Hi Dawn, good to read your update but sad for you also. I know its hard for you right now but I just want you to know we have been here for just over a month and its lovely and all that we went through, to get here, has been worth it. It was the right decision for us.

I love the UK but I hope we never have to go back to live there. ;)

Ditto, good luck to you and the rest of your family. I hope you are all together over here soon. :fingerscrossed: Bevissa

Justcol Dec 15th 2009 7:18 pm

Where abouts is he looking?
The TAB in cambridge are building a large extension and offered the job of bar manager
to a guy i work with. He turned it down as he has other plans. i dont know if they have filled it yet.
I've got no further details but Just it might be a heads up that might help.

Psychopandy Dec 15th 2009 8:54 pm

Hi Dawn, sorry to hear you are still all alone.

Hopefully a bit of light at the end of the tunnel though eh :fingerscrossed: hang on in there and if its meant to happen, it will.

Take care and keep us updated x

Psycho x

BEVS Dec 16th 2009 4:23 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8175439)
The TAB in cambridge are building a large extension and offered the job of bar manager
to a guy i work with. He turned it down as he has other plans. i dont know if they have filled it yet.

Good one :thumbup: Blackburn Lass and Mr Blackburn lass need a bit of luck. 'Specially at this time of year. I'm gonna PM this post over to her.

You got some contact details at all mates? Mr Blackburn Lass could get straight on that blower and then plane if needs be.

Dawn. I'm sorry to read that it's not been happening for you both. :fingerscrossed: something turns up.

Justcol Dec 16th 2009 5:42 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8176400)
Good one :thumbup: Blackburn Lass and Mr Blackburn lass need a bit of luck. 'Specially at this time of year. I'm gonna PM this post over to her.

No need, i've been in touch this morning and sent her a whole load of contacts.
one for EVERY TAB in the country. I just hope it helps.

I lived in Rossendale for 15 years before coming to nz so its the least i could
do for a fellow Lancastrian:thumbup:

BEVS Dec 16th 2009 6:31 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8176494)

:thumbsup:

blackburn lass Dec 16th 2009 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8175439)

Silly question but whats the TAB?:confused:

Dawn X

blackburn lass Dec 16th 2009 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by blackburn lass (Post 8177297)
Silly question but whats the TAB?:confused:

Dawn X

I've just found TAB on the net, I'm struggling to find the contact details, which branch was it?

Thanks Dawn

Oh yeh thanks to everyone for your support:thumbsup:

Justcol Dec 16th 2009 7:49 pm

I've checked the link and its not showing the cambridge TAB
I'll find some contact details and get back to you.
The TAB is like a betting shop, you said OH had worked for Ladbrookes
so i thought it might help.
Some are stand alone places and some are attached to bars, clubs
or race tracks.

strawbie Dec 16th 2009 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8176494)

Hey, I work over in Rossendale!! Not for too much longer i hope though!!:rofl: Good luck Blackburn Lass!! :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Justcol Dec 17th 2009 5:49 am

Originally Posted by strawbie (Post 8178183)
Hey, I work over in Rossendale!! Not for too much longer i hope

Where do you work, its nice to here from back home

strawbie Dec 17th 2009 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8179085)
Where do you work, its nice to here from back home

based in Bacup but all over to Haslingden n Crawshawbooth, etc! if this snow continues may not be going in!! :thumbsup: