Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

View Poll Results: Do you agree with what Buzzy said about successful emigrants?
Yes, Buzzy, you have hit the nail on the head.
69.23%
No, I think the opposite.
30.77%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:12 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

OK, my own personal theory.

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?

"People who complain a lot about the UK are less likely to be successful migrants to another country, as these people are predisposed to complaining and will complain no matter where they are. Conversely, people who are positive about the UK are more likely to be positive about a country they emigrate to, and are likely to have a better migration experience."

Fingers on buzzers - all vote NOW!

Buzzy
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:45 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

There's nothing in the middle, can't you have a 'somtimes' button! Some people moan about bloody everything! I moan about the UK and I love it here! Isn't it more to do with your outlook on immigrating, like not expecting NZ to be utopia free from crime and traffic and how you view the UK doesn't or rather shouldn't come in to it.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Suicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to all
Default Re: Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

Originally Posted by Littletoe View Post
There's nothing in the middle, can't you have a 'somtimes' button! Some people moan about bloody everything! I moan about the UK and I love it here! Isn't it more to do with your outlook on immigrating, like not expecting NZ to be utopia free from crime and traffic and how you view the UK doesn't or rather shouldn't come in to it.

If Buzzy--Bee is right 90% of the people, who have posted threads on this site, have no chance.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

I agree, , but I think it is more to do with people seeing positives or negatives in every situation.

...and this is a generalisation but it goes a bit like this....

They moan about everything in the UK
Come here with unreal expectations that NZ will never match up to, then can only see the negatives about the country and the negatives take over there lives...

Go home realise everything wasn't so bad and live happily ever after....

...can you spot these type of people on here????
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:12 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I agree! I've always thought that people who don't hate where they've come from are less likely to be disappointed when/if they find their new country is not Utopia. It's not that they don't moan, it's that they've got the ability to get past 'stuff'.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't BB disprove his own hypothesis? He seemed relentlessly whingey about NZ, but quite positive about UK and Aus.

BB - sorry if I'm confusing you with anyone else.

Separate question - are those with alliterative aliases less likely to succeed and be happy in a new country? We had Turkey Tickler, Mum o Monty, Secret Squirrel, Burt Badger, Buzzy Bee, all seem either unhappy in NZ or have gone back home to UK.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:45 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

:
Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi View Post
Doesn't BB disprove his own hypothesis? He seemed relentlessly whingey about NZ, but quite positive about UK and Aus.

Separate question - are those with alliterative aliases less likely to succeed and be happy in a new country? We had Turkey Tickler, Mum o Monty, Secret Squirrel, Burt Badger, Buzzy Bee, all seem either unhappy in NZ or have gone back home to UK.

Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Littletoe...middle of the road. I complained about the UK and can easily identify what I don't like about the UK. No it's not Utopia here but for me it's much better than the UK so we as a family have settled well.
Debbie
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Squidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really niceSquidge is just really nice

Sorry to dissapoint your theory, I LOVED where I lived in the UK, ie the Cotswolds, enjoyed my job and our lifestyle. The reason for moving you may ask, my hubby decided he would like to come home, after being here 18 months I am still homesick and thinking about returning to the UK.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 11:14 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

"Other" for me! Not everyone is at one end of the spectrum or the other.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littletoe View Post
I agree - we need a middle - sometimes button. Everybody has a whinge now & then, it's human nature.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:07 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Here's my theory about what makes migration more likely to be successful....

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi View Post

No, you're right, it's me. BUT actually I am proving my own theory, as when I emigrated to NZ (1990's) I complained a lot about the UK before I went.

Now I am emigrating to Oz, but I like the UK too right now.

Buzzy
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

OK this is interesting.

I asked the same question in the Australia and Canada forums.

Both Australia and Canada have returned an exact 50/50 split of opinion. 90% of New Zealand emigrants, however, agree with my theory.

hmmmm.......

Buzzy