Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Here we go again - aaaaagh!

Here we go again - aaaaagh!

Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here we go again - aaaaagh!

Hi all

After 2 years in the planning to move to Oz and being granted a visa 10 months after lodging I'm now starting to hear more and more about New Zealand and wondering if in fact that is where we should be heading. We are thinking of moving to Melbourne (and did a reccie there last year and really liked it). However, the more research I'm doing lately, the more disillusioned I'm becoming. By that I mean that it suddenly doesn't seem so very different to the UK. I've watched the crime rate increase, more and more posters are saying that there is a huge increase in things like graffiti, litter etc in areas where we went that seemed fine to us.

We've got 2 kids (4 and 7) and like everyone else are looking for a better life for them and us and somewhere where they can stay kids just a little bit longer. OH is in structural/civil engineering and was able to get the visa as it was on the critical skills list.

I saw so many of these 'Hi, I'm new here' type threads on the Oz forum (mine was one of them a year ago) that it seems weird to be posting one again. I have done a huge amount of research on Oz to the extent of narrowing in on area where we fancy living. The part we were looking at however is currently suffering 45 degrees, has massive bush fires and is suffering quite severe water restrictions - something I guess doesn't happen too often in
New Zealand. Must admit the whole research thing is a bit daunting!

Can anyone tell me if the visa we have for Oz count in any way towards obtaining one in NZ or is it complete re-start. If so, what sort of cost and timescale are we looking at? Also, has anyone moved here from Oz and if so, why?

Any observations, comments, experiences would be very much appreciated.

Just read this and realised what a flippin rambling post this is!

Cheers
Old Jan 30th 2009, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

ROADYS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Here we go again - aaaaagh!

Not a rambling post at all, don't know about the visa situation but been living here in NZ for 5 & abit yrs now so if we can help with any other info? Best mate lives in Melb and loves it, we have visited and only saw the touristy stuff, had a ball!!!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Your concern is well founded.

There are plenty of issues with living in NZ - crime, culture, remoteness, work, finances, housing quality all have to be carefully weighed up.

Some people will rave about NZ, others detest it with a passion because it aint the place it appears when on holiday. Or because it doesnt offer anything better or even comparable to where they have come from.

You really need to work out what you are going to do when you get here.

Do your research on the internet for peoples views of what they find when they get to NZ
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:11 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Browner_
Your concern is well founded.

There are plenty of issues with living in NZ - crime, culture, remoteness, work, finances, housing quality all have to be carefully weighed up.

Some people will rave about NZ, others detest it with a passion because it aint the place it appears when on holiday. Or because it doesnt offer anything better or even comparable to where they have come from.

You really need to work out what you are going to do when you get here.

Do your research on the internet for peoples views of what they find when they get to NZ
Yep and Bad Driving, Boredom. everything so far away, Crap Clothes Shops, and Sheep , as you can tell im getting fed up with living here
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
Hi all

After 2 years in the planning to move to Oz and being granted a visa 10 months after lodging I'm now starting to hear more and more about New Zealand and wondering if in fact that is where we should be heading. We are thinking of moving to Melbourne (and did a reccie there last year and really liked it). However, the more research I'm doing lately, the more disillusioned I'm becoming. By that I mean that it suddenly doesn't seem so very different to the UK. I've watched the crime rate increase, more and more posters are saying that there is a huge increase in things like graffiti, litter etc in areas where we went that seemed fine to us.

We've got 2 kids (4 and 7) and like everyone else are looking for a better life for them and us and somewhere where they can stay kids just a little bit longer. OH is in structural/civil engineering and was able to get the visa as it was on the critical skills list.

I saw so many of these 'Hi, I'm new here' type threads on the Oz forum (mine was one of them a year ago) that it seems weird to be posting one again. I have done a huge amount of research on Oz to the extent of narrowing in on area where we fancy living. The part we were looking at however is currently suffering 45 degrees, has massive bush fires and is suffering quite severe water restrictions - something I guess doesn't happen too often in
New Zealand. Must admit the whole research thing is a bit daunting!

Can anyone tell me if the visa we have for Oz count in any way towards obtaining one in NZ or is it complete re-start. If so, what sort of cost and timescale are we looking at? Also, has anyone moved here from Oz and if so, why?

Any observations, comments, experiences would be very much appreciated.

Just read this and realised what a flippin rambling post this is!

Cheers
Oh yes and another thing, If you feel like you have retired and dont want excitement in your life anymore then come to New Zealand
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

A lot would depend on where you chose to live in NZ, and the way you look at life, we are in Wellington, i certainly dont feel like i have Retired, the social life here is very hectic and we find plenty to do. Admittedly we do mix with other Ex Pats and this has helped us to integrate well.

As for crime, well its certainly no worse than where we came from, in fact i would say less crime here, as for things like noisy boy racers, only hear them if i go in to Welly CBD and even then there is only a few.

Only you can decide whats best for you, you will hear lots of different points of view on here, good and bad for NZ. Good Luck whatever you decide
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon
A lot would depend on where you chose to live in NZ, and the way you look at life, we are in Wellington, i certainly dont feel like i have Retired, the social life here is very hectic and we find plenty to do. Admittedly we do mix with other Ex Pats and this has helped us to integrate well.

As for crime, well its certainly no worse than where we came from, in fact i would say less crime here, as for things like noisy boy racers, only hear them if i go in to Welly CBD and even then there is only a few.

Only you can decide whats best for you, you will hear lots of different points of view on here, good and bad for NZ. Good Luck whatever you decide
Well I expect Wellington is more exiting than were I live.

and agree its the way you look at life, but at the moment cant see another way! but feeling on a downer so just felt like being miserable about New Zealand
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon

Totally agree. NZ is full of shite AND good stuff..if it suits you you're made. We love our lives here, we are NEVER bored and enjoy life to the full. I have never had such a good social life with endless stuff to do..and that's in Palmy.

We mix with the odd expat but have never made a 'b line' for them.

Life to a degree is what you make of it. Your mindset too will have an effect of your life here. Your world is created by your thoughts. Shite in shite out.

Having said all that fully apperecite why many dislike NZ. It cannot be all things for all people. There is much I dislike about NZ..its just that for now the good out weighs the bad.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:43 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Totally agree. NZ is full of shite AND good stuff..if it suits you you're made. We love our lives here, we are NEVER bored and enjoy life to the full. I have never had such a good social life with endless stuff to do..and that's in Palmy.

We mix with the odd expat but have never made a 'b line' for them.

Life to a degree is what you make of it. Your mindset too will have an effect of your life here. Your world is created by your thoughts. Shite in shite out.

Having said all that fully apperecite why many dislike NZ. It cannot be all things for all people. There is much I dislike about NZ..its just that for now the good out weighs the bad.
Dom, will you stop calling me an odd expat. I'm perfectly normal. Wibble.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

Hi Lorrielou

I can really sympathise with your situation - we are doing completely the reverse !!! Researched NZ and been (twice now) to do a reccie, loved the place, its beautiful however i am starting to have reservations and wonder whether it is OZ we should be heading to............ my main reasons:

- cost of living in NZ is comparable to UK however the wages are lower so therefore makes it expensive living.

- from the research that I have done I am concerned that the education system is very hit and miss and wonder whether I am doing the right thing for my kids .

- long term for my kids I feel OZ may provide better, broader opportunities.

- it seems soooo many people end up doing the hop to OZ eventually anyway and I am wondering why ??????

These are only my personal concerns and I would love to hear comments you guys that actually live there may have. Reasons to go to NZ however are equally comparable and whilst it is the lifestyle we are attracted by - at the end of the day we somehow have to earn the pennies to sustain it , and I guess my idea is not to be working even more than we have to at the moment!!!

Truly confused at the mo
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

We did spend time in OZ as we initially were heading there, i thought there was more opportunities for us there, but after spending time out there i decided it wasn't for us. The heat was too much for me, and i became paranoid by the spiders and bugs to the point that i couldn't go to sleep, having to check things like slippers and shoes before you put them on. Cockroaches were mahooooosive and there seemed to be loads of them. Also we found the Aussies a lot less friendly towards the Brits, but i think the wages are higher and if things like the bugs don't annoy you, then there are probably more opportunities in Aus.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:16 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Oh yes and another thing, If you feel like you have retired and dont want excitement in your life anymore then come to New Zealand
I have to disagree with that. I have done so much more here and have a better social life than I did in the UK and so do my kids...
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

ohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really niceohnojo is just really nice

I would think that NZ is an easier country to live in comfort wise as we don't get the extremes of weather and environment. It must be really hard going about your everyday working life in temps of over 40 degrees on a regular basis, plus all the issues over water shortages and bush fires we we don't get to such an extent.

Entertainment wise NZ can be as boring or as exciting as you want it to be, the same as any country.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:19 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I've just hopped the ditch form NZ- Oz and thought I could offer a couple of points.

1- afaik, with Oz PR you can just head on over to NZ- but go via Oz to validate. You can't do the opposite with NZ PR- you need NZ citizenship to do that, but Oz PR I believe you just get NZ residence permit at the border.

2- temperature extremes. bugs etc- temp extremes depend on where you settle. Melbourne is doing stonking hot atm but it's making the news because it's not usually so hot there- they often do have a hot bit somewhere in the summer but not usually so severe or prolonged. Darwin, otoh ....
I'm in NSW, a couple of hours north of Sydney- I am not a lover of over 30 temps and yet I'm doing fine in this "hot" summer (Australians are telling me this *is* hot- not just me, lol!). If you're not an outdoor worker than coping with a few hot weeks is fine- you're trading it, if I'm honest, for several months of feeling cold in the UK and even NZ (depending on your house over there). Bugs- same again- Tassie, Melbourne don't get as many bugs as Queensland, NT etc but also you do get savvy to it and adjust. It only takes a second to bang out your shoes left over night on the deck before putting them on so it's hardly a deal breaker! You can get your house sprayed annually and you're at more risk from road death and injury than shark, spider and snake put together

3- the graffiti/crime thing. If avoiding such things is your chief aim in emigrating can I suggest Havelock North in Hawkes Bay? the flip side is you miss out on cultural variety and live somewhere your kids will plan to leave from age 11 .... but it is a wonderful, quiet laid back lifestyle in HN! Just be sure that's what you really want.

4- send johnokiwi a pm- he's done engineering of some sort (not quite certain what) both side of the ditch and might be able to offer you some insight into the pay and career progression differences. For us, reliant on a nurses income I am surprised (and saddened for NZ) to say we are literally thousands better off- look at salary packaging and family assistance- a no-brainer pay and career wise for our family.

HTH, good luck wherever you choose
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much all for taking the time to respond. You've provided me with some interesting thoughts and it confirms just how much research we need to do. It's a fair point about the kids wanting to bugger off aged 11 (given half the chance they'd do it here though too in fairness!) and it's easy to think of what is good for the family at a given time, but thinking long-term you've got to think of 10 years down the line I guess. We all just want to keep our kids in dungerees and barefoot until they hit adulthood and shield them from the crap that is life, but obviously it's just not possible. It's just a case of trying to find somewhere that is just that bit less crappier than other places. Sounds like you're really down in the dumps love30stm - hope things start looking up for you. If it's any help, it's not much chirpier here as the press is so negative and everyone just seems to be moaning about everything. The snow, whilst beautiful is rapidly becoming a pain in the #### as when it's not slippery as hell, its slush and of course public transport has all but ground to halt in some parts of the UK!
Thanks Bourbon-biscuit for your thoughts I will have a look at Hawkes Bay and also if we proceed any further, we will contact johnokiwi.
Once again, thanks all
Lorraine