Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Here at last... and it's never stopped raining!

Here at last... and it's never stopped raining!

Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Flatcap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Here at last... and it's never stopped raining!

Hi Mary Rose,

We went through an Immigration Consultant in Auckland, and they've been excellent. OK, it costs more to do it that way, but my husband has medical history and they're expert at getting problem cases through. If we'd have tried filling out all the forms ourselves, we'd probably still be revising them or already had a quick, blunt 'No' from Immigration.

As for the route; you should be able to get in on family grounds shouldn't you??

We came in on 2-year work visa's and hubby was lucky enough to get a job offer straight away, so our EOI went in straight after and we were invited to apply within 3 weeks. We're just waiting now and enjoying the sun.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lindsay loo
Hi

Did your container arrive? Ours went on 22nd December, no problems except not much left in the house to cook with, etc! We went with PSS and they were great.

We will be arriving on Jan 25th so look forward to bumping into you in Castor Bay or maybe Milford shopping centre! Coffee club does yummy pancakes!

Hope u had a good Christmas in the sunshine,

Lindsay x

Hi Lindsay,

Hah, ours arrived on the 22nd December!! (and now I have 6 pans :-) )

You'll be getting all excited now I imagine... not long to go. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the company that PSS use at this end, as we nearly booked them, but they'd ommited to say that they also offer a fully bonded service until I'd told them I'd gone for Crown. (that's brilliant by the way, the MAAF guy pops his head in the garage, has a quick poke around, then says 'sweet' and off he goes. All the stuff I was worried that I might get confiscated for fumigation was passed without so much as a blink).

Anyhow, the Crown fellas from Leeds were fantastic, I couldn't fault them. The team in Auckland though were another story - polite, but not very careful the way they carried stuff into the house. One bevelled glass floor mirror took two men to carry it to the van in the UK, it's soooo heavy. It comes off the van at this end and one fella carries it into the house on his back! Needless to say it got banged on something on the way down the path and took a corner off..... blub, blub.. I only bought it two weeks before we left as well :-(

We're all settled now though, although we've only un-packed about a third of our stuff 'cos this rental we're in expires in April, so we'll be off again!
What steet are you going to in Castor Bay? We're on Beach Road just up from Milford marina.

Anyhows.... good luck with the flight, and try not to cry biucket loads when you say your final goodbyes (have tears in my eyes just typing this and remembering). Drop me a line when you get here and we'll deffo meet up.

Philippa
p.s are you also bringing a dog perchance??
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Lindsay...... You've arrived!!!!

Yay!!!....

Welcome to New Zealand

Hopefully, it's a lovely sunny day today (am writing this on rainy Friday night, after a coupla G&T's so's you can pick it up after you arrive).

Drop me a line when you're over the jet lag and we'll meet up for a coffee and a chat. The hubby will be back in Europe by then, so I'll be young free and single, and what's more.... I'll have wheelz!

Philippa
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice

Hi

Glad your stuff arrived ok, shame about the mirror! Just 2 days left to go for us! Very tearful!

The dog is indeed coming, she flies out on 28th. Actually I am just waiting for her to poop so I can take it up to the vet for final tests!! Lovely. Its raining so of course she doesnt want to go out!

We will be a bit further up off Beach Road, down Peter Terrace, so not far at all. I will be in touch next week, we land Tuesday morning. I just want to get on the plane although I've still got heaps of stuff to do.

look forward to meeting up, Lindsay x
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice

Not quite! Leaving on Sunday!, but will be there very soon. Thanks for the meassage. My hubby not coming strainght away, so we'll have a great time!!

See you soon!

Lindsay x x
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Lindsay,

Gosh, I don't think I'll ever forget those last couple of days. It's awfull.

Good luck with everything and give me a call after you've settled in with your daughter. My number is 410 4711

Hope you manage to get some sleep on the flight. I usually don't sleep a wink and get terrible jet lag. This time though, I was soooo cream crackered after all the final rushing about that I was exhausted. I managed to keep awake for the Heathrow to LA leg, then fell asleep on the second leg and slept for 8 hours The jet lag was hardly noticable for once.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the weather improves for ya, cos it's been cooler with showers for mostof this week
Old Jan 24th 2010, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

drcallycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there flatcap - I also hail from Yorkshire - Leeds to be precise and I arrived mid-Nov when there was a fair bit of rain. I was not impressed. But since then its been really warm and I'm loving it. My husband and I are renting in Mission Bay which is really lively and close to the beach. He has not found work yet so its a bit of a struggle but I'm sure something will come up. We should meet up for Yorkshire night out!!! There seems to be a few of us. Hope you are settling in anyway. Cheers, Clare & Jim
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:24 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by drcallycat
[F]Hi there flatcap - I also hail from Yorkshire - Leeds to be precise and I arrived mid-Nov when there was a fair bit of rain. I was not impressed. But since then its been really warm and I'm loving it. My husband and I are renting in Mission Bay which is really lively and close to the beach. He has not found work yet so its a bit of a struggle but I'm sure something will come up. We should meet up for Yorkshire night out!!! There seems to be a few of us. Hope you are settling in anyway. Cheers, Clare & Jim [/FONT]
Hi shame you are not in Christchurch I also lived in Leeds and went to West Park lived just off St Lane. Nice to have a Yorkshire night out was back in Leeds last year as my Dad passed away. Have to say I could not wait to get back to NZ hope you get sorted with work good luck..
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by drcallycat
Hi there flatcap - I also hail from Yorkshire - Leeds to be precise and I arrived mid-Nov when there was a fair bit of rain. I was not impressed. But since then its been really warm and I'm loving it. My husband and I are renting in Mission Bay which is really lively and close to the beach. He has not found work yet so its a bit of a struggle but I'm sure something will come up. We should meet up for Yorkshire night out!!! There seems to be a few of us. Hope you are settling in anyway. Cheers, Clare & Jim

Hi Clare and Jim,
Sounds like you arrived the week after me.... and yes - it was dreadful weather, especially when all your winter shoes and wellies are still on the container...LOL
We're a fair way from you, (up in the North Shore Bays) and finding it a bit of a struggle too, what with all the stuff you need to sign up to when you arrive, (and the cost of renting ) I've not even had a sniff of a job vacancy yet.

Good look though, I hear the job market tends to pick up late March/early April, so it might be worth jumping in a campervan for a couple of months and having a proper Kiwi summer cruising round the islands
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by harrogate girl
Hi shame you are not in Christchurch I also lived in Leeds and went to West Park lived just off St Lane. Nice to have a Yorkshire night out was back in Leeds last year as my Dad passed away. Have to say I could not wait to get back to NZ hope you get sorted with work good luck..
So you're not really a Harrogate Girl then??
I'm from good old Ripon (LOVE that place, but I know you Harrogate lot like to take the mick, cos we're not quite so posh!).

How does Christchurch compare - It reminded me a bit too much of the UK. Is it a good place to live? (Am already planning ahead for when the daughter leaves Uni in around ....oooh, let's see - 7 years time () )