Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Here at last... and it's never stopped raining!

Here at last... and it's never stopped raining!

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Flatcap is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Here at last... and it's never stopped raining!

Hi Everyone!

We've made it at last... yay!!!!

After a coupla years in the planning, and many many pounds lighter, we're finally here and living in Castor Bay. I wanted to say a big 'Yorkshire Hello' to all you other lucky folks who also left Blighty with one almighty sigh of relief.

We left North Yorkshire around three weeks ago now..... and are feeling very much at home, seeing as it's never stopped raining since we arrived!

Hoping to gleen as much info as poss from all the 'New Kiwis' on this forum about all that mind-blowing stuff like Health Insurance and Life Insurance for non-residents. ... I don't know where to start :-(

Anyhow, if anyone's living nearby, we'd love to hear from yous.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Here at last... and it's never stopped raining!

Hi,

We arrived just over a month ago and have had a few days of sunshine but we keep being promised great things for the summer!!!!
Cant help with the health insurance as the company I am working for supply health insurance via southern cross for myself and my husband.

Good Luck I hope the sun comes out soon for you x
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Flatcap
Hi Everyone!

After a coupla years in the planning, and many many pounds lighter, we're finally here and living in Castor Bay. I wanted to say a big 'Yorkshire Hello' to all you other lucky folks who also left Blighty with one almighty sigh of relief.

We left North Yorkshire around three weeks ago now..... and are feeling very much at home, seeing as it's never stopped raining since we arrived!

Hoping to gleen as much info as poss from all the 'New Kiwis' on this forum about all that mind-blowing stuff like Health Insurance and Life Insurance for non-residents. ... I don't know where to start :-(

Greetings from a fellow Yorkshireman. Well, actually technically I'm from Cheshire, although if you drill down far enough there is also an argument that I'm actually a scouser but.... after marrying a Barnsley Lass and living in South Yorkshire for over 10 years, I do now consider myself to be one of the tribe!

I know what you mean about the rain. We've been here since September and although we have had some fantastic weather, for a short while we were living in a tent (myself, the wife, our 4yr old and our 2yr old) - during which time there was heavy snow only a few miles away (and although the snow did miss us it did get bloody cold) and days and days of rain!!

A challenge, but an adventure all the same!

Looked back on fondly now of course!

Not sure about Health Insurance, other than to say that we had (still have) BUPA back in the UK and I've been told to speak to their international team about getting the plan updated to cover us whilst we're here... don't have any further info on that whatsoever at this point though... it's one of the many things have been pushed to the back by many other things!

If you're ever in the Masterton area give us a shout and we'll let you know if we're heading up your way!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

hello and welcome to England mkII aka rainy NZ
not a lot to ad to add at this point except that when you take
out Health insurance double check exactly what you are covered for.
not all poilcies cover you for everything and some will only pay for
cheaper treatments or medications and not the best available ie,more expensive.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

aahr, thanks for those nice welcomes!

I don't mind the rain really, us Yorkshire folk are used to it - but still, I don't think I could've done the whole tent thing - brave, very brave!!

Well, I saw our container float past the window this morning at 9am, and have just received an email from crown saying that it won't be delivered until 22nd December at the earliest! At this point, I'm sorry to say I turned into Victor Meldrew ..... can't understand why it takes 3 weeks to clear customs when we paid for a fully bonded service?????

I also managed to do a bit of research into Health insurance last night - it seems that all you can get as a non-resident is Accura's Smartstay/Smartstay Plus plan, which costs between $209 and $177 a month, depending whether you plump for a nil or $500 excess. They also exclude any previous conditions - so what with hubby having a dodgy ticker, can't see the point of having it really.

Our Bupa automatically expired when we left the UK, so asked the International office for a quote for the Medical Plus policy. Have to say, I had to sit down for that one - nearly four thousand pounds a year to cover just the two of us. Think I'd rather buy a car

Might concentrate on Life Assurnace for the time being - but this seems to have the same barriers for non-residents. Don't Kiwi's like us or somethink?
Old Dec 4th 2009, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to retain existing UK life assurance policies.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 9:29 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Not in NZ but wanted to welcome you to the forum Really hope the weather clears up soon but change is good and living in a country where we have almost 360 days of sun, I miss some rain Good luck with everything!
Old Dec 5th 2009, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice

Hi

My daughter and her boyfirend live in Castor Bay and have been there for 6 months. Good news is we have just been granted PR and are coming out in January. We will be living all together in Castor Bay, so will have to look you up in the New Year!! Hope your container is released soon, we are just arranging for our stuff to go at this end!

Best wishes, Lindsay
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Yay!!!!!, it's stopped raining!!!!

We've had 50cm in 48 hours!

The sun's come out now, and the place looks Toadally different

Bet you're really excited now Lindsay Christmas is just going to be in the way for you guys now I imagine - oh dear... and all those tearful goodbyes you'll be having for the next few weeks - the're soooo hard to do.

Who's your furniture going with?

After getting all excited about seeing ours float past the window on Friday, it turns out that our container missed the ship leaving Sydney and is now not due in until this Friday - hence the 22nd December delivery.
Ho Hum....another 2 weeks for us on blow-ups beds then

That's been the absolute hardest thing to cope with since arriving - living in a house with no furniture LOL! We've just gone one chair and two blow up beds (0h, and from the dog's bed!), but it's the same for everyone who comes over of course. At least you'll be able to stay with your sister till your stuff arrives.

Keepin touch anyhow ......... will be off sunbathin now
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

do you need a chair...I have an armchair that my hubby is pestering me to get rid of...it's dead comfy and free to a good home...you just need to pick it ip from Blockhouse Bay
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and welcome by the way!

And watch the sun!
It's super fierce so avoid between 11 - 4. Ideally anyway. And if not ...decent sun lotion and always a hat.

I had never ever gone even slightly pink in the UK but can burn here easily in 45 mins if I don't have a hat on
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
You should be able to retain existing UK life assurance policies.

Quite right. Our daughter has just received a special bonus from Aviva for something she had forgotten about. At one stage she thinks she opted out of serps ands its something to do with that. Anyway she got a cheque for £800 and of course immediately banked it.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 3:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by pricklykina

I had never ever gone even slightly pink in the UK
You are joking .
I lived there for 50 years and gained a tan most years without meaning or trying to. Husband , being more fair skinned , was given to sunburn if he wasn't careful.
Mind you. Saying that. The sun is not fun here. Burn time is in seconds ,because of the lack of ozone I believe. Sunnies, sunscreen, hats and cover up. No lazing in the sun on the beach here. Run for the shade . Summer is here.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice
Cool Re: Here at last... and it's never stopped raining!

Hi

Did your container arrive? Ours went on 22nd December, no problems except not much left in the house to cook with, etc! We went with PSS and they were great.

We will be arriving on Jan 25th so look forward to bumping into you in Castor Bay or maybe Milford shopping centre! Coffee club does yummy pancakes!

Hope u had a good Christmas in the sunshine,

Lindsay x
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

maryrose is an unknown quantity at this point

i am so envious at least you are there
how can you adivse me on how to get a visa
i have family in 'auckland and desparately want to go back there

are you working there with a visa?

Originally Posted by Flatcap
Hi Everyone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.