British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Help! Where to live?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-where-live-525781/)

Ninnykins Mar 31st 2008 3:04 pm

Help! Where to live?!

Hi all
Having made the decision not to stay on the North Shore, (thanks for all your helpful and honest advice regarding the commute to Manukau City), we're now trying to get an idea of where is good to stay in Auckland City and Manukau City. Our eldest daughter Daisy will be due to start kindergarten in December so if anyone can give us general advice on living in these areas that we like the look of and info on kindergartens that would be great, thanks. Meadowbank, Ellerslie, Glendowie, Mount Eden and Three Kings. :)

Nerine Apr 1st 2008 12:32 am

Re: Help! Where to live?!

Hi, no replies yet?

We discounted much of the city because we wanted a bit of greenery around us and because it's a bit pricey to be in town(more so if a 'good' school zone where people were often paying ridiculous prices) Manukau should be cheaper though, hope someone can help you out.

Batty Apr 1st 2008 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Ninnykins (Post 6137152)
Hi all
Having made the decision not to stay on the North Shore, (thanks for all your helpful and honest advice regarding the commute to Manukau City), we're now trying to get an idea of where is good to stay in Auckland City and Manukau City. Our eldest daughter Daisy will be due to start kindergarten in December so if anyone can give us general advice on living in these areas that we like the look of and info on kindergartens that would be great, thanks. Meadowbank, Ellerslie, Glendowie, Mount Eden and Three Kings. :)

Hi there. In order of 'niceness/expensiveness' I'd say Glendowie, Ellerslie/Mount Eden, Meadowbank and I don't know Three Kings at all so that'd give you an idea of which place is the most desirable for families. If you want to PM me your email address I'll send you some stats on the areas from the QVRP website. I'll ask about kindergartens for you as well.

Does that help? :D

Ninnykins Apr 1st 2008 7:41 pm

That's brilliant, will do, thanks so much! People keep telling me that some parts of Manukau are a bit rough? If that is the case, where are the places to be avoided? Bearing in mind, I'm originally from Pontefract, West Yorkshire so I know rough! It can't possibly be that bad!:eek:

CCGM.IN.NZ Apr 1st 2008 7:49 pm

Hi, cant help with areas you're interested in as we live further east, in the Howick area. As far as less desireable areas in Manukau, probably Otara and maybe Papatoetoe are the two places that spring to mind, IMHO. Good luck :thumbup:

Ninnykins Apr 1st 2008 7:53 pm

Howick was on the list too, it looks nice. How do you rate it?

CCGM.IN.NZ Apr 1st 2008 7:57 pm

We love it here! Its quite heavily populated here so not for everyone. My two teenagers go to an excellent school, we have a couple of good shopping malls within a short drive, lots of beaches and bush walks too. Ferry service to the city and to Waiheke. We have all we need here:thumbup:

Ninnykins Apr 1st 2008 8:10 pm

Sounds good! I'll look into it. I guess there's plenty to do there with young kids? I don't drive, which I'm told is going to be a bit of a problem in Auckland, is Howick easy to get around without a car?

Batty Apr 1st 2008 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ninnykins (Post 6144299)
Sounds good! I'll look into it. I guess there's plenty to do there with young kids? I don't drive, which I'm told is going to be a bit of a problem in Auckland, is Howick easy to get around without a car?

:D I don't drive either! And it IS a bit of a problem, especially 'cos my husband works every second weekend so isn't around to ferry me if I want to go somewhere :) The buses on the North Shore are quite good and there's a train service South and West - it's not an insurmountable problem but will be a nuisance I imagine with children having to get to extra-curricular stuff and things like that. If you're like the majority of people who come here you'll find yourself wanting to try something new so maybe... driving??? Or, once you see the drivers in Auckland..... maybe not :lol: I'll email you the stats now.

garryhg Apr 2nd 2008 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Ninnykins (Post 6144299)

Hi Ninnykins....Come and join the Scots in Cockle Bay/Howick. Howick has a small centre, but as has been said Botany/Pakuranga & Sylvia Park are not to far. Also down in Cockle Bay we are right next to the beach. There is a regular bus service to Downtown which passes by the shopping centres above....

Ninnykins Apr 2nd 2008 7:23 am

Cockle Bay looks lovely and just sounds like somewhere you'd love to live! What are the schools like there? My eldest is only 2 and youngest 8 months so schools aren't a major concern just yet but we don't want to move the kids around more than we have to so we'd like to try and get the right area for us with the first attempt!:lol:

garryhg Apr 2nd 2008 7:33 am

We have 2 kids 7 & 14. The youngest goes to Cockle Bay Primary & it's just the best! He's developed so much since coming here. The teachers are so involved and they respect the kids as they do the teachers.
The older one is at Howick College, and despite what people say about this school, she really enjoys it & this is a long way of for you yet.

If you do head out this way for a look, give us a shout for a coffee....

Ninnykins Apr 2nd 2008 8:03 am

I've just been looking at some lovely properties for sale in Cockle Bay so I might just take you up on that offer! Gaawd, think my head is going to explode with all these decisions to make! Just want to get over there now and get on with it, feel like we're in limbo at the moment! :blink:

CCGM.IN.NZ Apr 2nd 2008 8:24 am

Hi again, sorry had to rush off to work this morning! Jackie answered the question anyway, thanks Jackie:thumbup:. Might be a good idea initially for you to rent a property. At least that way you will be able to take your time, check out the area and make sure you like it before commiting yourself to a mortgage. There's usually plenty of rentals to choose from in this area, trade me is a good place to check em out http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-property/index.htm. Areas include Bucklands Beach, Eastern Beach, Howick, Cockle Bay, Melons Bay, Farm Cove, Half Moon Bay. Further south, away from the coast are Botany and the newer housing estates of Dannemora and Flat Bush. Happy hunting!

Ninnykins Apr 2nd 2008 9:24 am

Not a problem, thanks so much, will check out that website and thank you for the advice! I'm not really a fan of the new build areas like Dannemora and Flat Bush, but Cockle Bay I love and Beachlands, although people have told me Beachlands is a bit isolated, would you agree?