Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help !. We have PR but cannot find work here. Any help / advice please?

Help !. We have PR but cannot find work here. Any help / advice please?

Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:33 am
Just Joined

emma23 is a jewel in the roughemma23 is a jewel in the roughemma23 is a jewel in the roughemma23 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Help !. We have PR but cannot find work here. Any help / advice please?

Hi

Thank you to everyone who has replied - I will definitely print off some more CV's and hand them out. My other half is qualified in Biology and has worked in hospital labs - but again, can't seem to get that work here at the moment! But we may have found him a job in a bar! I just keep thinking I'm only young and this should be a fun adventure for us, but it is very stressful and I think I may be going grey!!!!!

Thanks again for everyones advice! Really helpful and good to know there are some nice helpful people out there (can't say I have bumped into that many since arriving)
Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help !. We have PR but cannot find work here. Any help / advice please?

Problem with Labs in Auckland at the mo is a HUGE contracting debacle.

saying that my friend worked as a med technologist at Auckland hospital and was really well paid

At least it's summer...you can go with seasonal work...think about house sitting or volunteering somewhere with accomodation. You don't need to worry about a visa thank heavens

How about seeing a bit of the country while fruit picking?
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:14 am
Just Joined

emma23 is a jewel in the roughemma23 is a jewel in the roughemma23 is a jewel in the roughemma23 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Problem with Labs in Auckland at the mo is a HUGE contracting debacle.

saying that my friend worked as a med technologist at Auckland hospital and was really well paid

At least it's summer...you can go with seasonal work...think about house sitting or volunteering somewhere with accomodation. You don't need to worry about a visa thank heavens

How about seeing a bit of the country while fruit picking?
Hello - fruit picking is definitely an option for us. Any ideas on how to apply for something like that? We're quite prepared to travel somewhere else if it means us getting some work and having fun whilst doing it. Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:37 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Hi E, sorry I can't offer any advice as we're not there but you are vocalising my worst nightmare scenario and I really hope things take a turn for the better for you Can't begin to imagine how frightening your situation is, hopefully something good will turn up very soon, keep us posted!
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

http://www.wwoof.org/ - not your field, but this is an organisation where you work on farm/orchard short term (anything from a few days to months) - you only get your keep but would save money till something came up (people without visas can do it too). Good luck
Old Nov 11th 2009, 5:29 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Can you please move to the South island and set up a window cleaning service? Yes I know that's nothing to do with hairdressing or biology but can't find one locally and with so many windows in houses to allow sun to heat homes you'd probably make a fortune. BTW the town I live in isn't massive but I think at last count we have 11 hair salons and I know at least 1 does rent a chair. I think a home hairdressing service is an excellent idea - especially out of Auckland and somewhere more rural especially for busy mums and elderly.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emma23
Hello - fruit picking is definitely an option for us. Any ideas on how to apply for something like that? We're quite prepared to travel somewhere else if it means us getting some work and having fun whilst doing it. Thanks for your help!
In Hawkes Bay.....

http://www.workinnz.co.nz/mr_apple/
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Sounds like the way to go for now. Give yourselves a breather. Get out into NZ and have some fun !

Thawley Orchard is now hiring staff but not to start until mid Feb and then through to mid June. (click the link Emma)

It's at the Top of the South Island near to Nelson. This is a sunshine area which fills up with young people enjoying the lifestyle and weather.

Phone 03 5402 888
email [email protected]

They want packing, grading, shed hands - no experience necessary.

I'll keep my eyes out for similar in this area.

Meanwhile Woofing is a good way to go.

Sometimes Mapua Holiday Park takes Woofers. You do work in exchange for a pitch on the park.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:03 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

If you're not fussy then I reckon the fruit picking is a great way to go - lots of young folks do it, there's usually cheap accomodation near by, and it's a great way to have a laugh and feel a bit footloose before settling down somewhere.

Plus you'll see plenty of NZ! Go into all the backpacking places - they have loads of flyers up looking for casual and seasonal workers and I'm sure that'll be a good place to start. Once you are in 'the network' then groups travel toether to the various harvests (asparagus/ cherries/ stone fruits/ apples etc).

If that's not for you, then come on down to sunny ChCh where I just saw this advertised:

http://seek.co.nz/users/apply/index....22&cid=jobmail

Old Nov 12th 2009, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

LucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud of

If you managed to get PR then one of you must have had enough points from qualifications or experience? Though I know there are job sectors where NZImmigration think there is a skills shortage but people still can't easily get a job!

You might want to talk to the Auckland Regional Migrant Services www.arms-mrc.org.nz. They do free seminars on job hunting in NZ and whilst they are more geared to migrants with cultural/language differences I found them very helpful. Much of what they say has already been mentioned, jobs aren't advertised, go for the personal approach not e-mail etc.

Just done a quick scan of Seek in Wellington (where I live) and the only secretarial jobs are for Legal secretaries, I suspect this is a terminlogy issue as there are lots under PA/EA so try searching under those too.

You need also to be registered with every agency that deals with office staff and make sure you go and meet them - don't just register on the phone. Agencies work slightly differently here to in the UK, appointments come with a sort of guarantee, so they need to have confidence in you.

Fruit picking or similar summer jobs are a way of keeping your heads above the water for a while but you won't earn enough to save or be in a position to job hunt at the same time so after the season you will be in exactly the same situation you are in now.

I would go for more urban based short-term solutions like bar or shop work so you can continue to job hunt.

Good luck, don't give up - it's a fabulous place and the people are friendly and helpful
Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LucyS
If you managed to get PR then one of you must have had enough points from qualifications or experience? Though I know there are job sectors where NZImmigration think there is a skills shortage but people still can't easily get a job!

You might want to talk to the Auckland Regional Migrant Services www.arms-mrc.org.nz. They do free seminars on job hunting in NZ and whilst they are more geared to migrants with cultural/language differences I found them very helpful. Much of what they say has already been mentioned, jobs aren't advertised, go for the personal approach not e-mail etc.

Just done a quick scan of Seek in Wellington (where I live) and the only secretarial jobs are for Legal secretaries, I suspect this is a terminlogy issue as there are lots under PA/EA so try searching under those too.

You need also to be registered with every agency that deals with office staff and make sure you go and meet them - don't just register on the phone. Agencies work slightly differently here to in the UK, appointments come with a sort of guarantee, so they need to have confidence in you.

Fruit picking or similar summer jobs are a way of keeping your heads above the water for a while but you won't earn enough to save or be in a position to job hunt at the same time so after the season you will be in exactly the same situation you are in now.

I would go for more urban based short-term solutions like bar or shop work so you can continue to job hunt.

Good luck, don't give up - it's a fabulous place and the people are friendly and helpful
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Hi Lucy,we got our permanent residency through Shaun's side of the family obtaining there's a few years ago. So I managed to get sponsored by them. We are now looking for some reasonable accomodation so if anyone has some suggestions on that I would be grateful. Going to Work and Income tomorrow for an appointment so I'm hopeful they may be able to help with a job! TeamEmbo as for window cleaning - what a great idea! I should look into how to get something like that started! If money was no object I would open up a pasty shop being from Cornwall and all!!!!! (",)
Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:37 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

proper 'ansom pasties?!

Ok, that's that sorted then - you move to south island. OH does window cleaning, you get money to start pasty business and make your fortune. Sweet.

Anything else we can help with?
Old Nov 13th 2009, 12:30 am
Just Joined

sary is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Emma,
I know you aren't a student but www.sjs.co.nz has loads of temp work available on the site which you can search by location.
Bon courage
Old Nov 13th 2009, 5:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
proper 'ansom pasties?!

Ok, that's that sorted then - you move to south island. OH does window cleaning, you get money to start pasty business and make your fortune. Sweet.

Anything else we can help with?
proper job! yep pasty business is the way forward!!!!!
Old Nov 13th 2009, 5:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sary
Hi Emma,
I know you aren't a student but www.sjs.co.nz has loads of temp work available on the site which you can search by location.
Bon courage
Thank you Sary, I will take a look at the link you sent.

Cheers

Em

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.