British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Help !. We have PR but cannot find work here. Any help / advice please? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-we-have-pr-but-cannot-find-work-here-any-help-advice-please-640088/)

emma23 Nov 10th 2009 11:23 pm

Help !. We have PR but cannot find work here. Any help / advice please?

Hi everyone - I moved to NZ with my other half at the end of Sept this year, I'm only 23 and we thought we would come over and have an adventure - we obtained our visa's and here we are. So far what we thought would be a fun time has turned into one of stress. I was under a big illusion, I can't blame it on being young and naive - but now I wished I had really researched the situation over here before rushing over. We are slowly running out of money, have no jobs and no amount of nice scenery is helping as we can't afford to go anywhere and look around! Do I stick it out and hope a job comes along (I've applied for so many and not heard a thing) or do we cut our losses and go whilst we still have a bit of savings left? Wonder if anyone else is feeling the same.

Thanks for any advice. (",)

Genesis Nov 11th 2009 12:03 am

Re: This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

Originally Posted by emma23 (Post 8088731)
Hi everyone - I moved to NZ with my other half at the end of Sept this year, I'm only 23 and we thought we would come over and have an adventure - we obtained our visa's and here we are. So far what we thought would be a fun time has turned into one of stress. I was under a big illusion, I can't blame it on being young and naive - but now I wished I had really researched the situation over here before rushing over. We are slowly running out of money, have no jobs and no amount of nice scenery is helping as we can't afford to go anywhere and look around! Do I stick it out and hope a job comes along (I've applied for so many and not heard a thing) or do we cut our losses and go whilst we still have a bit of savings left? Wonder if anyone else is feeling the same.

Hi E, sorry to hear things are bad for you. One imagines if there are no jobs for you in Auk there are unlikely to be jobs for you elsewhere in NZ. You have to ask your self 'why did I leave my previous country?' will you feel stck and frustrated if you return or would going home be cool. If the former you should stick it out to your last cent and fly home on your credit card.

Have you considered getting a 'tiding' over job rather than your profession? I have done loads of less paid jobs when others were scarce. Are you happy in Auk/NZ? What did you expect when you came?

Being skint is shite. Being skint in another country adds to the dimension of said shite. How much do you have left? Do you really want to stay here?

Look forward to your reply. Good luck.

PS Some one in Palmy did the sandwhich board job to get a job..if you want to stay here that's what I would do and do it in Auk's main street..and get the local TV and papers to see if they will do a story on your efforts...it got lots of attention down here!!!!

BEVS Nov 11th 2009 12:58 am

Originally Posted by emma23 (Post 8088731)

What visas are you on?

What work have you been looking at?

emma23 Nov 11th 2009 2:13 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8088882)
What visas are you on?

What work have you been looking at?

We are both on perm residency visa's. I am a qualified secretary and hairdresser.

emma23 Nov 11th 2009 2:15 am

Hi Genesis, I am a qualified secretary and a hairdresser, I have applied for jobs in retail, supermarkets, housekeeping, cleaning - I've tried the lot! Apparently so far all the rejections I have got from jobs where I have applied for my profession is because I am too experienced and too over qualified! Surely that's a good thing! I would love to go back home, but I am sticking it out for the sake of my other half. I think we will stay for the summer then think about going home! And I will think twice again before saying my goodbye's and wasting my money leaving home!

TeamEmbo Nov 11th 2009 2:17 am

Is there nowhere in Auckland that rents a chair? I know of three salons local to me - doesn't help you mind as I'm just north of Christchurch. Though why not head down this way and see how you fair?

And the South island is sooooo much nicer (running for cover now)

emma23 Nov 11th 2009 2:20 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 8088989)
Is there nowhere in Auckland that rents a chair? I know of three salons local to me - doesn't help you mind as I'm just north of Christchurch. Though why not head down this way and see how you fair?

And the South island is sooooo much nicer (running for cover now)

I've looked into everything - have not stumbled across anywhere advertising to rent a chair at the moment and the trouble is I'm recently qualified so would need more of a junior role, all I've seen advertised so far is for senior hairdressers. Hopefully something will come up, if not it may be an idea to venture South! Thanks for your help though

TeamEmbo Nov 11th 2009 2:30 am

Maybe don't wait for advertisements - I don't know about Auckland but what sometimes works best down here is to just go knock on doors. Just walk in any/every salon and ask. Have you signed on with a temp agency for typing/secretarial work? Sometimes hospitals and larger organisations have bank admin staff you could sign on with and get a foot in the door that way.

I'm a qualified medical secretary. The role I used to do in the UK just doesn't exist here so I've started working from home.

Jan n Neil Nov 11th 2009 3:11 am

There's a theory here that in NZ 70% of jobs available are not advertised - I'd go with the knocking on doors theory, it's how Neil got his job.

Jan

Wiz'n'Ton Nov 11th 2009 3:41 am

Re: Help !. We have PR but cannot find work here. Any help / advice please?

Hi there, and sorry to hear that you've had no joy yet. I 100% agree with the 'knocking on doors' idea - just find an area with lots of businesses, put your shoulders back, a bright smile on your face, and go in to each and every one. Ask who deals with staffing/ recruiting in the company, and when told ask if they have 2 minutes to see you. Give them a copy of your CV and a brief covering letter whilst you tell them about yourself in a quick, pre-practiced 60 second run down. Shake their hand, take their business card and leave with a smile

If you don't get to meet the decision maker, then get their name and telephone number, leave your CV, then follow it up with a phone call later that day or the next day.

DON'T just give your CV to a receptionist - they will add it to the pile of people who have done exactly that.

Do this all day, every day, and within a week you will have work - I guarantee it. It may not be the work you were looking for, but someone will know someone who is looking for someone and you can build on it from there.

Good luck, and go for it!

BEVS Nov 11th 2009 3:43 am

..and on that theme, it might be an idea to let us know what your partner does. You never know what can turn up, so use every avenue you can.

george toni Nov 11th 2009 5:00 am

yep what does your partner do?

Get out of Auckland and head to the south Island, houses cheaper lifestyle more laid back!

without a doubt do the door knock thing.I before I set up on my own got EVERY job that way, its a kiwi thing as is never advertising the wage for a job here.

Another thing is just dont put down all your qualies for all jobs tailor it down or up for the job you want. Heck they dont know you from a hole in the wall so just go with the flow!

good luck and get that coach south!

george

mickey_d Nov 11th 2009 5:13 am

Try this place:thumbup:
http://maps.aa.co.nz/browse/retail+%...ke+road/fringe

MOSO Nov 11th 2009 6:38 am

Just a thought, but how about setting up a mobile hairdressing business - going to people's own houses. Advertise in the local supermarkets, libraries, try school newsletters, door drop leaflets - offer discounts to ex-pats, oaps, free lollies to the kids- anything you can think of really. If you've got a skill that's always in demand go for it. NZ is full of who you know, so word of mouth could work to your advantage. I think like anything it'll be a tough slog to begin with but it might be worth a try...

cally49 Nov 11th 2009 7:20 am

Originally Posted by emma23 (Post 8088995)
I've looked into everything - have not stumbled across anywhere advertising to rent a chair at the moment and the trouble is I'm recently qualified so would need more of a junior role, all I've seen advertised so far is for senior hairdressers. Hopefully something will come up, if not it may be an idea to venture South! Thanks for your help though

Hi there i wondered if you have contacted Rodney Wayne Salons they have stores all over NZ if you google them it will come up with an email contact. Also try the job section on Trademe www.trademe.co.nz
Good Luck
Cally:)