Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help with washing machine please!

Help with washing machine please!

Old Sep 8th 2010, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of
Default Help with washing machine please!

Normally I would just get my Dad/brother/random man in the street to fit a washing machine, but since noone seems to walk past my house, I have had to attempt to fit the washing machine...

I have taken the bolts out etc.. The washing machine turns on and everything, but it just won't fill with water, which is obviously a problem.
There is a tap, which I attached my inlet hose to (get me- using technical terms!) but if I keep it running all the time won't that make a flood?? Do I need something else? (Don't say a non-blond brain!!)

Thanks!!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

witty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nice
Default Re: Help with washing machine please!

No it wont flood my dear. Keep it on all the time, it'll be cool.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 5:51 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Does it not have two inlet hoses (hot and cold), as witty says, keep it (or them) turned on....else it won´t fill
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:33 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Ours is cold fill only, it's left on all the time, and make sure you don't have a valve on the pipes which has been turned to shut.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

Thanks!! It's turned on now and I am happy to report not flooding!!

I had visions of flooding and then an electrical fire, finally ending with explosions and worst of all, no clean washing!!

Thanks everyone!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Pointer is on a distinguished road

we have noticed that NZ machines tend to be top loaders but front loaders are working their way into houses. to that end we intend bringing our front loading machine from the UK, I assume that the hose fittings in NZ are the same as UK?

is this the case, would hate to ship a tin box and a lump of concrete for no reason.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:12 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pointer
we have noticed that NZ machines tend to be top loaders but front loaders are working their way into houses. to that end we intend bringing our front loading machine from the UK, I assume that the hose fittings in NZ are the same as UK?

is this the case, would hate to ship a tin box and a lump of concrete for no reason.
Just curious why you don't like top loaders? One advantage of a top loader is you can still throw in that sock you dropped on the floor once the cycle has started, which you can't do with a front loader. Just wondering.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We have a front loader. You'll find you can only get a cold feed quite often but that doesn't detract from the energy savings nor the cleaning efficiency of the machine.

Front loaders can also have a delay ( rather like the dish washing machines) which allows the cycle to be suspended to include the missing stinky - male - sock.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Just curious why you don't like top loaders? One advantage of a top loader is you can still throw in that sock you dropped on the floor once the cycle has started, which you can't do with a front loader. Just wondering.
Yep, that's definite advantage of a top loader, but are there any others besides having stack more variety of washing powders to choose from. I certainly prefer the front loader, I'm sure they are more energy efficient too.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
We have a front loader. You'll find you can only get a cold feed quite often but that doesn't detract from the energy savings nor the cleaning efficiency of the machine.

Front loaders can also have a delay ( rather like the dish washing machines) which allows the cycle to be suspended to include the missing stinky - male - sock.
True re: cold feed, when I replaced mine in the UK a few months before coiming to NZ I couldn't find one that ran off hot & cold feeds.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

banshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud ofbanshigirl has much to be proud of

I brought mine with me because I ahd read that toploaders ruin clothes!

I cannot say I know that as I have never used one!

But had no problem with mine. Touch wood!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Pointer is on a distinguished road

prefer front loader as I like watching my washing go round while hand washing the sock that escaped
Old Sep 8th 2010, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

gaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nice

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
True re: cold feed, when I replaced mine in the UK a few months before coiming to NZ I couldn't find one that ran off hot & cold feeds.
Washing Machines live longer with Calgon!!! They all pretty much have heating elements nowadays, so only have one feed - cold. Get yourself a magnetic drive washing machine(no drive motor/belts etc). Nice and quiet.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

My washing machine was working brilliantly, then just as I started the second load, the electricity to the laundry room stopped...
Not sure how to fix that one.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of

We had a top loader to start with, and it DID ruin our clothes. We had Christie bath towels that over time got ripped to shreds:curse: and the top loader didn't wash nearly as well either.

There are some advantages - speed of cycle, possibly easier to load, easier/cheaper to get powder, but the negatives far outweigh the positives. I would never ever again have a top loader....absolute pooh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.