Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

HELP WANT CAN WE TAKE/NOT TAKE??????

HELP WANT CAN WE TAKE/NOT TAKE??????

Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:20 pm
** My Beautiful Angel **

mum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant future
Smile HELP WANT CAN WE TAKE/NOT TAKE??????

Hello All
Can anyone help us with advice on what's best to take to NZ.
Were about to sort out stuff we have here in Cyprus and what we have in storage in the UK. So two house holds of probable crap , so can anyone tell us what's a good idea to take ie white goods, furniture, garden stuff (toys and patio furniture, do we have to sterilise them?), etc. Also beds we all need new ones best to buy before we go or when were there? I've heard beds are different size so what about bedding? I've also heard you need to clean all shoes is this true !!!!
All help with these questions would be very appreciated, they sound silly but as a mum of 3 little people i like to be organised.
Thanks a lot
Jackie
Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP WANT CAN WE TAKE/NOT TAKE??????

Take everything you can seems to be the advice on here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541152

I know that you cannot take rattan and that any outdoor stuff including shoes and bikes must be totally free from any organic matter. Check here to see what is on the accepted and not lists

http://www.maf.govt.nz/mafnet/index.htm

or failing that I am sure that there must be something on NZIS website

Hope this helps

Phyllis
Old Jun 12th 2008, 7:50 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Hiya,

I asked the very same question a week or so ago.. the post is here >>
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=541152

I was advised to take EVERYTHING!!! haha

So i am planning to take everything i can. We are planning to get a 20 ft container and pack it full lol

Anyway, good luck....

C xxx

Oops.... phone went when i started this post so i left the window open for a while and now Phyllis has said the same lol
Anywho.... take what ever you can.

xxxx

Last edited by Yummy_Mummy; Jun 12th 2008 at 7:59 pm. Reason: Oops.... phone went while writing this, so had to amend it lol
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:50 pm
** My Beautiful Angel **

mum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant future

Hi everyone
Thanks for the links that's fab.
Your write i will take as much as we can wedge in the container
Will check out the other items, can't leave behind my shoe collection
More info if anyone has it will be great, two houses of stuff is so daunting, will have to do some selling me thinks!!!
Thanks
Jackie
Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:53 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

haha

Well funny you should say that!!!! We are currently doing a huge clear out and going to sell what we dont need on ebay... gets rid of it, plus gets extra cash to go towards the cost of the visa

No point in taking stuff that doesnt fit, or you are NEVER going to need lol

Anyway, good luck,
C xxx
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:00 pm
** My Beautiful Angel **

Hi Yummy-Mummy
I'm listing madly on Ebay now.
Great, were going to Christchurch to in the New Year. Maybe well see you there
Think we may need to do car boots to Ha Ha.
Jackie
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:31 pm
Chocoholic

Originally Posted by mum-dad-3-little people
Hi Yummy-Mummy
I'm listing madly on Ebay now.
Great, were going to Christchurch to in the New Year. Maybe well see you there
Think we may need to do car boots to Ha Ha.
Jackie
Haha yeah,

Isnt it amazing the amount of crap you find lol

I have 3 piles at the moment... Junk (no-one would pay anything for this... in fact we would have to pay them to take it!)

The charity pile (not good enough to sell but too good to bin!)

And the Sell pile... (someone else could use this!!)

Even my youngest daughter said that she wants to sell her Toy pony, Butterscotch lol So it will be going too lol

Kinda fun eh?
Well enjoy your clear out.... lets hope u make a fortune lol

C xxx

P.S. There are loads of nice ppl in christchurch... would be great to meet people there... i guess it makes settling easier too!!
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yup. Bring everything you can. If you need new beds , then buy them there before you come. You will have more choice . Make sure you unpack them from their new wrappings.
For outdoor stuff, you should scrub with jeyes fluid and perhaps water blast them. Scrub them shiny new.

Make a list of what you have scrubbed and what you feel MAF may be interested in
i.e. bikes; outdoor walking boots; garden furniture etc
and keep it ready for the MAF inspection.

We brought in all sorts and everything was just fine.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 9:43 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by weeje
I know that you cannot take rattan and that any outdoor stuff including shoes and bikes must be totally free from any organic matter. Check here to see what is on the accepted and not lists

We brought 5 pieces of rattan, declared it and had no problem, I was told it depends on which country it was manufactured in.

Garden, outdoor, bikes, tools etc Wash everything in Jeyes fluid then spray the packaging before it's sealed with neat Jeyes. All they did with ours was partially open the packages for inspection then reseal - obvious as bubble wrap hardly disturbed.
Pauline

Bed sizes only appear to differ in the fact that UK goes, single, double, king, queen NZ is single, double, queen, king.

Label as used household goods.

Hope this helps
Pauline

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 13th 2008 at 9:45 am.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 9:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Likewise. We brought in wooden artefact's ; work tools ; garden stuff; cane; outdoor furniture and equipment.

We just followed the recommendations to Jeyes fluid everything.

Our fees this end were = nil.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Where can you get Jeyes fluid from?
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teebrown
B & Q sell it in litre tins for around £8 or you can buy it online.

Phyllis
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

newt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant future

We have Jeyes Fluid here, along with pushbutton phones, and joined-up writing, and petrol, and the Internet, and electricity.

There are also shops which sell furniture. And beer. And all manner of other things.

Don't bring marijuana, though. Customs get cross about it, and besides, the local stuff is much better (or so I'm told).
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:42 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by teebrown
In our area you could buy Jeyes Fluid in a number of places:-
Local hardware shop
B&Q
Focus
Even ASDA sold it, it is a common product, it's one of those products that if you have never used you don't know it exists.

If you bring Christmas decorations, make sure they pack them together and label box artificial Christmas Decorations. Pickfords spread our around 8 boxes and it cost a packet to have them inspected, we only had 1 when put together.

Hope this helps
Pauline
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:59 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mum-dad-3-little people
Hello All
Can anyone help us with advice on what's best to take to NZ.
Were about to sort out stuff we have here in Cyprus and what we have in storage in the UK. So two house holds of probable crap , so can anyone tell us what's a good idea to take ie white goods, furniture, garden stuff (toys and patio furniture, do we have to sterilise them?), etc. Also beds we all need new ones best to buy before we go or when were there? I've heard beds are different size so what about bedding? I've also heard you need to clean all shoes is this true !!!!
All help with these questions would be very appreciated, they sound silly but as a mum of 3 little people i like to be organised.
Thanks a lot
Jackie
I absolutely echo what everyone else has said, we used Dettol not Jeyes, same principal!!

Bear in mind most newer houses here have built in wardrobes, we ended up with 7 spares! But easily got rid of on TradeMe. We have also ended up with 4 dishwashers ... don't ask ... and I'm not including the kids in that! Most houses include the dishwasher on the chattels list, but not the fridge/freezer. And usually they favour the American style 2 drawer dishwashers which I think are fab.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.