British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Help with Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-visa-368413/)

Daz,Tam & Jake Apr 19th 2006 5:16 am

Help with Visa

Hi All

I am looking for some advice for a mate of mine, he has been offered a job in NZ to start on the 15th of May. Does anybody know if it is possible to have a Visa all sorted to be able to start work on that date, also what Visa would be required. He seems to be going round in circles, he is a Fitter/Turner, which is on NZ's wanted list.

Any advice would be appreciated as he is driving me mad with all his worrying :D

Thanks Daz

beaudixon Apr 19th 2006 9:00 am

Re: Help with Visa

Originally Posted by Daz,Tam & Jake
Hi All

I am looking for some advice for a mate of mine, he has been offered a job in NZ to start on the 15th of May. Does anybody know if it is possible to have a Visa all sorted to be able to start work on that date, also what Visa would be required. He seems to be going round in circles, he is a Fitter/Turner, which is on NZ's wanted list.

Any advice would be appreciated as he is driving me mad with all his worrying :D

Thanks Daz

Hi, don't think he'll be in luck for 15 May!!!
For a work visa, once you have all the papers, you can go to London and get it issued same day - i understand. BUT!!! the police report takes 40 days, plus you need medical/x-ray by approved medical panel drs.
If you're able to apply for residency you need to lodge EOI the wait to be drawn from the pool - but you still need meds & police reports - and it would be quicker probably to go out on work visa and apply for residency once there. However meds are only valid for 3mths and police reports 6mths so you would have to have these done again in NZ.
Thanks all i know, someone else may know a shortcut - if they do i'd like to know!!!
Neil

Daz,Tam & Jake Apr 19th 2006 9:08 am

Originally Posted by beaudixon
Hi, don't think he'll be in luck for 15 May!!!
For a work visa, once you have all the papers, you can go to London and get it issued same day - i understand. BUT!!! the police report takes 40 days, plus you need medical/x-ray by approved medical panel drs.
If you're able to apply for residency you need to lodge EOI the wait to be drawn from the pool - but you still need meds & police reports - and it would be quicker probably to go out on work visa and apply for residency once there. However meds are only valid for 3mths and police reports 6mths so you would have to have these done again in NZ.
Thanks all i know, someone else may know a shortcut - if they do i'd like to know!!!
Neil

Thanks Neil, he has already lodged with EQI and been put in the pool, also he has sent off for the police checks. Looks like he needs to sort the Meds out now.

Thanks for the advice, it about sums it up, I will pass it on.

Take care, Daz

Stu75 Apr 19th 2006 4:14 pm

Would going out on a Working Holiday Visa not be an option ? It gets him out there and then he can get residency sorted out when he's there. As far as I know for a 12mnth holiday visa no medicals or police checks are required.

brackley Apr 19th 2006 4:22 pm

book medicals before you get the paperwork returned from your eoi as there is often a waiting list also could he delay going for a month or 2 so everything :D is sorted. i'm sure his employer in nz would be understanding. also, get him to contact nz immigration as they are helpful and bend over backwards. our visas took 5 months and that was without a job offer. the big hold up for us was having to wait to have our medicals done as they were very busy. please tell him he has to have xray done first as he has to take it to the medical with him.. good luck

Bryher Apr 30th 2006 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Daz,Tam & Jake
Hi All

Thanks Daz

Hi Daz

My husband was offered a job (carpenter) and had to be out in nz within a few weeks - he applied for a Work Permit (no police checks or medical) valid for up to 2yrs - it came in 5days! So he could go out and start work. We THEN applied for Permanent Residence.

Hope this helps.

Daz,Tam & Jake Apr 30th 2006 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bryher
Hi Daz

My husband was offered a job (carpenter) and had to be out in nz within a few weeks - he applied for a Work Permit (no police checks or medical) valid for up to 2yrs - it came in 5days! So he could go out and start work. We THEN applied for Permanent Residence.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Thanks for that, I will pass it on.

Take care Daz