British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Help for a Vegetarian (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-vegetarian-524229/)

Kags1694 Mar 25th 2008 7:52 am

Help for a Vegetarian

Hi hope someone can help, I am a Vegetarian, I have noticed while we have been on holiday on the north Island for the past two weeks, one week to go, that none of the supermarkets I have been in seem to cater for Veg’s the UK I purchase a lot of Quorn products.

I am very concerned that I am going to struggle when we hopefully move over later in the year.

Is there any other Vegetarians in the same boat?

Regards
Karen

Maz Mar 25th 2008 7:55 am

Re: Help for a Vegetarian

Originally Posted by Kags1694 (Post 6107486)
Hi hope someone can help, I am a Vegetarian, I have noticed while we have been on holiday on the north Island for the past two weeks, one week to go, that none of the supermarkets I have been in seem to cater for Veg’s the UK I purchase a lot of Quorn products.

I am very concerned that I am going to struggle when we hopefully move over later in the year.

Is there any other Vegetarians in the same boat?

Regards
Karen

I used to be vegetarian and enjoy veggie food very much. Haven't been on the lookout for Quorn but I don't think you'll be badly off. :thumbup: In every cafe I've seen veggie quiches, veggie samosas, etc. OK I just ate, but now I'm hungry again. :D

MattH Mar 25th 2008 8:49 am

My wife is veggie and struggled quite a bit tbh; Quorn is not imported into NZ, although you can buy stuff like tofu pretty easily (still tastes crap though!) - you'll be ok if you like fish though :)

TeamEmbo Mar 25th 2008 9:01 am

Haven't seen any Quorn or anything similar down this way either. I've seen vegge grills and such and plenty of tofu, humus, cous cous etc. and there's plenty of choice with fresh fruit and veg. Somewhere I have a really yummy recipe for chick pea burgers. If I can find it I'll pm it to you if you want?

sarahw Mar 25th 2008 6:42 pm

My OH is veggie and it took some getting used to being veggie in NZ. You'll get used to cooking more meals from scratch - obviously better for you and cheaper. Dining out can be more problematic depending on how strict you are e.g. rennet in cheese etc but we usually find something on the menu can be adapted or just ask the chef what he can make for us.

It takes time but it's not impossible. Good luck!

Kiwiprincess Mar 25th 2008 8:13 pm

No quorn. Supermarkets generally do, at least in wellington, have a meat substitute range but tbh it is pretty rubbish. Sawdust dipped in spices would have a nicer consistency :)

Eating out - not sure. Again, my view is clouded by the fact that I live in Wellington (ie more restaurants than, say, Westport) and because I work with a disproportionate number of veges (not to mention, vegan, vegan gluten free, vegan culture free etc etc) and I have to admit that it was a very rare occasion when I couldn't find a restaurant to suit the vege eaters. Sometimes we did have to specify 'no cheese' (it is easier apparently than trying to explain?) but thats about it.

Not to mention the fact that veges are plentiful. Especially if you grow your own :)

Lincolnshire Lass Mar 25th 2008 9:37 pm

I have a teenage daughter who is vegetarian and find it very difficult to obtain ingredients although I live in the south of the South Island which maybe dosn't help.You can not even buy a pizza without every different type of meat that you can think of on it!! I do alot of cooking from scratch. All I can say is bring a good cookery book with you and keep your fingers crossed that you can buy the ingredients!!

Kiwiprincess Mar 25th 2008 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Lincolnshire Lass (Post 6110820)
I have a teenage daughter who is vegetarian and find it very difficult to obtain ingredients although I live in the south of the South Island which maybe dosn't help.You can not even buy a pizza without every different type of meat that you can think of on it!! I do alot of cooking from scratch. All I can say is bring a good cookery book with you and keep your fingers crossed that you can buy the ingredients!!

Actually I definitely agree with that regarding the pizza. I hate the taste of processed meat so prefer, if i am getting packaged frozen pizza to have a vegetarian pizza. Very difficult!

dlmckay Mar 25th 2008 11:39 pm

No quorn here - but yes, tofu is abundant. You'll have to start baking/cooking from scratch because the labelling ain't so hot on the ol' animal fats either.

Maz Mar 26th 2008 12:46 am

Higher Taste on Customhouse Quay (Wellington) is a vegetarian/vegan restaurant run by the Hare Krishnas. It's a fave of mine when I have a spare $7.50 or $9.50. I pop down there and gorge myself on as much curry as I can fit on my plate. :D

Karen, how strict are you?

crap coffee Mar 26th 2008 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 6107499)
I used to be vegetarian and enjoy veggie food very much. Haven't been on the lookout for Quorn but I don't think you'll be badly off. :thumbup: In every cafe I've seen veggie quiches, veggie samosas, etc. OK I just ate, but now I'm hungry again. :D

why? I miss (gross) wishbone vegetarian sarnie (red peppers + humus) for my lunch today? (I dislike humus! :curse:)

when I get back to Welly, I will grab some for my breakfast on the way to my office (just around the next corner...Pastoral House ...:rofl: there are loads of cafes around which is good) and stealthily eat ...:eek: :p

I never manage to have breaky before going to work in the morning and I usually pick it up on the way to work. ....am too lazy...

luvwelly Mar 26th 2008 11:32 am

I'm not vegetarian but do like veggy food....a lot of it seems to be pumpkin and goats cheese based. Frozen pizzas - forget it - all got rubbishy low quality ham on them. I buy the bases and put own toppings on or go to Hell (Pizza chain) where they do have veggie options (I think).

Loads of fish so not such a problem for eating out so long as you like fish - they tend to do it well with excellent vegetable accompaniments too.

There's a vegetarian cafe in New Town on the high street which I stumbled into unwittingly one weekend.