Reload this Page >

Help us find a location :) ???

Help us find a location :) ???

Old Feb 8th 2016, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Ashleymcxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help us find a location :) ???

Hi

My partner and I are seriously thinking about making the move from Glasgow to NZ to work and have been doing some research online as to where the best location would be for us to live but don't seem to be getting anywhere further forward! I will be qualifying as a mental health nurse later this year and he is a joiner to trade with 15 years experience. We had been looking at the north island as it seems the weather is better there .. is this the case? Any help or advice anyone can give us would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 8th 2016 at 8:35 pm. Reason: No edit. Tech blip so need to apprive post.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help us find a location :) ???

I know where there's going to be some joinery jobs going very soon here in Dunedin.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 8:53 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The weather isn't better on the North Island to the South Island. It very much depends on actually location as NZ is a myriad of micro climates.

Nelson and Tasman Bays on the South Island for instance has enviable weather . Better than Wellington or humid Auckland.

It will be more about where the work is.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I know where there's going to be some joinery jobs going very soon here in Dunedin.
Just looked up Dunedin online looks beautiful!

That's promising! Do you know the average rate of pay for an experienced joiner there at all?

Thanks for your reply 😀
Old Feb 8th 2016, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
The weather isn't better on the North Island to the South Island. It very much depends on actually location as NZ is a myriad of micro climates.

Nelson and Tasman Bays on the South Island for instance has enviable weather . Better than Wellington or humid Auckland.

It will be more about where the work is.
Ah I see! We'll definitely keep our options open then and research the different islands 😀.

We know a few people who have moved to Christchurch and were thinking maybe this would be a good option but we really need to look into where the job opportunities are for both of us.

Bit worried now though as I've read that I may need to have 2 years post registration experience to join New Zealand's nursing council which is a pain as we were keen to make the move ASAP 😩.

Thanks for your input!
Old Feb 9th 2016, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I'm a Mental Health nurse who moved over in 2013 via Timaru in the South Island and now happily settled in Christchurch.

You are right in saying you will need the two years experience in order to be able to join the NZNC - I think you should view this as a benefit and not a drawback as it gives you time to make a firm and well reasoned decision with all the costs and benefits weighed up and save a good amount of money too as the more money the merrier. Are you qualifying with the degree because the council also requires level 7 and above (degree and up) qualifications.

If at all possible I suggest a trip out here to look around. I am highly biased but I completely love the South Island. There are fewer people here but Christchurch is a reasonably large city (400-450,000 people) and has pretty much everything you need short of high end shopping. We have a rainshadow effect from the Southern Alps and so blue skies and sunny days are more normal than not (though yes we do get crappy weather sometimes).

Happy to answer any questions you might have about nursing. Hit me up with a PM.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashleymcxx
Just looked up Dunedin online looks beautiful! That's promising! Do you know the average rate of pay for an experienced joiner there at all? Thanks for your reply 😀
$20 - $25 an hour I would reckon working for a company, so around $47k per year.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 1:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Ashleymcxx
Just looked up Dunedin online looks beautiful!

That's promising! Do you know the average rate of pay for an experienced joiner there at all?

Thanks for your reply 😀
As Barnsleymatt states. It could be around $25. However once he was an NZ experienced joiner he could earn around $28 or so if employed.

Joiners here are also builders as many of the house builds are wood frame.

He could have a read about licensing

and he could aim to become an NZ master builder

A nurse and a builder? You should do really well in NZ.