Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help understanding PR process and taxes for partnership visa.

Help understanding PR process and taxes for partnership visa.

Old May 5th 2022, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

SailingStef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help understanding PR process and taxes for partnership visa.

Hello,
Thanks for accepting me into this group. I'd like to tell you about me.
I am British and have been married to a Brit/Kiwi for a really long time. He left NZ when he was a teenager and lived in UK since then.
We left UK on a sailing boat to go to NZ quite a few years ago, and due to us moving very slowly and multiple obstacles on the way we are still only in Panama, about halfway. Still some obstacles to overcome before we can settle in NZ, but I have been wondering about applying for permanent residency for me in the meantime, so that it is ready when we need it. He obviously has the right to return as he has a current NZ passport.
A long long time ago we bought a house in NZ and rented it out, something for us to live in when we got there. This has obviously worked out really well. We don't get much income from it, so we are not really rich. We both pay NZ tax on our income from the property as non-resident tax payers,and have done for >10 years

This is my understanding of the choices, please correct my interpretation or add an opinion as you wish.
A) I could wait until we sail into NZ to apply for PR, but then we would have to stay there for more than 6 months of the year for 2 years and I think it would be a 2 stage process for residency. After 6 months I would be tax resident and that would have complications for my small pension in UK (not got it yet) and small income there.
B) We apply for my PR now, with my husband still as an expat, who has not set foot in NZ within the last 5 years. When I last looked, this appeared to be a kind of fast track to PR with an open ended arrival date in NZ. When we finally decide to enact it and stay in NZ we would have 4 year tax leniancy to get our affairs sorted.
Other things to consider:
During the pandemic we were stuck in Panama for more than a year, which was totally legal and within the terms of a tourist visa. On the PR form I have to answer - list any countries you have lived in for more than a year since you turned 17. Any opinion on that 'lived in' term?. Can I interpret that has having the right to remain as a non-tourist, ie we didn't live in Panama, we were just tourists visiting? For example on the health section it asks, any country you have lived in or visited for more than 3 month in the last 5 years - which is distinctly different. It makes a difference to the police check required from Panama which is not easy I can tell you. It has to be done in person in the central city or pay a lawyer a shed load of money to do it from abroad - so there is some sense in getting this police check here in person, in case I need it, though I know it only is valid for 6 months (even if I have subsequently left Panama and never returned)
Also;
It seems I can't tell what health check I need until I have submitted a PR form online. So I can't book it or plan for it. I don't foresee any problems with the results -just there is only one place in Panama to get it done and it's not where I am located.

Well I have more questions, but that is enough for now. Please feel free to comment, advise, criticise or state your opinion. I'm feeling quite alone in this process, and could do with some encouragement. TIA.
Steph