British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   HELP required. Looking to move to New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-required-looking-move-new-zealand-910963/)

Singh is King Mar 27th 2018 8:43 am

HELP required. Looking to move to New Zealand

Hi Forum members. I am new here however i have already posted this on the Australia forum but wanted some advice for New Zealand. I am 46, married and 2 boys and family dog. Looking to move however is there an age restriction on the visa types I can apply for?
Australia is 45 but not sure on New Zealand.
Looking to see first if applying for a visa or some sort is feasible before looking for jobs.
Currently an IT Service Desk Analyst for a major bank (past 6 years), and previously spent 10+ years in Business Travel.
Any advice appreciated. Thx

Bo-Jangles Mar 27th 2018 10:23 am

Re: HELP required. Looking to move to New Zealand

Have a look at points indicator to see how you fare with age, skills and qualifications:

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ator-smc-28aug

You need you 160+ points to be in with any kind of chance of being selected; which may mean that you require a job offer to gain enough points.

Singh is King Mar 27th 2018 11:17 am

@Bo-Jangles. Thanks for replying. You mentioned requiring a job offer to increase points or for a better chance.
Is it better to apply from UK and mention to potential employers that I am in the process of applying for Visa?
Of course I will use the points calculator first to see how I stand.
But wanted to check that if I do have enough points or am slightly below the 160 mark then can I still start to look and apply from UK?

escapedtonz Mar 27th 2018 7:44 pm

It is unlikely you'll be able to get near the 160 points or over unless you have a written skilled job offer from an NZ employer.
Unless you have :-
(a) An NZ skilled job offer, OR
(b) A sufficient period of NZ work experience, OR
(c) A sufficient period of NZ qualifying study experience
you WILL NOT be approved for Resident Visa via Skilled Migrant Category. The best you could hope for would be a job search visa for the principal applicant only.

Your only other option then is to get a job offer and then apply for a type of temporary work visa and hope that this may lead to a more permanent visa in the future.

All up, as of August 2017 the majority of would be migrants need a written skilled job offer to get themselves and their immediate family (partners and dependents) to NZ to live and work.

If you have any less than 160 points on the EOI, there is absolutely no point submitting EOI as it will not be selected.

Singh is King Mar 29th 2018 9:24 am

When I click on the link for the points calculator it takes you to the relevant page/site and shows minimum points 100. Do I still need 160 or above for a better chance or let's say I had 130 or 140, would this still give me the same chance or less?

escapedtonz Mar 29th 2018 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Singh is King (Post 12472424)
When I click on the link for the points calculator it takes you to the relevant page/site and shows minimum points 100. Do I still need 160 or above for a better chance or let's say I had 130 or 140, would this still give me the same chance or less?

The minimum points to be eligible to submit EOI is 100. That threshold has never changed, however the threshold for EOI selection is 160 or over.
ANY score less than 160 WILL NOT be selected irrespective of the score you have or how the score is made up. Since 12 October 2016 Immigration went to automatic EOI selections of 160 points or over and this rule is still in force. All EOI's with less than this score will remain in the pool for 6 months then will be removed with loss of fee and no refund.

BEVS Mar 30th 2018 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Singh is King (Post 12472424)
Do I still need 160 or above for a better chance

160 for a chance.

or let's say I had 130 or 140, would this still give me the same chance or less?
No chance.

Singh is King Mar 30th 2018 5:01 am

Just to confirm. The fees for the EOI and actual visa, is that regardless of how many people people on the application i.e for example my family of 4 or is the charge per person?

escapedtonz Mar 30th 2018 8:18 am

Nope.
The fees for Resident Visa via SMC is per application NOT per applicant.
There is one fee for EOI submission, one fee for the ITA formal application stage and then assuming you get so far one final levy fee when you submit passports for the visa stickers. These fees cover all persons on the application.
On top of this there will also be courier fees to get your important documents to and from Immigration NZ office wherever that may be.
Also, there are fees associated with the ITA application but aren't payable to Immigration - eg NZQA qualification assessment if required, IPENZ assessment if needed, any other professional registration process as required, Medicals, Police Reports, National Security Check if required plus all costs to have your important documents notorized by a JP/Solicitor/Magistrate etc.