Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help please .Where to live in Wellington?

Help please .Where to live in Wellington?

Old Aug 13th 2007, 8:55 am
big dave

Dave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the rough
Default Help please .Where to live in Wellington?

Hi all.
I am starting a job in Wellington in 2 weeks and will be arriving on 15th August. Initially I am staying at a lodge close to the CBD. Now my dilemma is that when the wife and kids come over in about 6 weeks I would , obviously, like to be in a rented house so they have somewhere to live as I don't fancy a divorce at the moment. So where to live? I don't know the good areas or the ones to avoid.
We would preferably like to be close to good schools, we have two boys 12 and 6, and shops close by would be handy. I will be working in the CBD so public transport that could get me there for a 7am start would be good until we get sorted with a car. Have seen a couple of properties in Stokes Valley. Whats it like there?
Tall order I know but heres hoping.

Cheers

Dave
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please .Where to live in Wellington?

Hi there,

Donna F & Wilma & co both live in Papakowhai & have 3 kids each. Both have kids going to the local school. We all love where we live, there kids are all happy & thriving. If you want to meet up I'll show you around our area - it's beautiful, close to the sea, easy access into the city. Most importantly we have a good local pub.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:21 am
big dave

Dave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the roughDave-G is a jewel in the rough

Hey Boopy.

Donnaf and her hubby pm'd a couple of days ago and offered to meet me for a coffee and a chat when I have been in Welly for a few days. It's really nice of them as I don't know anyone in Wellington (obviously). I think I may take them up on their offer and pick their brains about schooling and such. Any help would be welcome as it's going to be a bit of a mine field for us. The people on this site are soooooo friendly
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:45 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Dave,

The question is whether you want to live in the city or not.

Stokes Valley (IMO) is a bit far out, try looking for rental in Wellington suburbs, from there you will get a good idea if you like the city or not.

Island Bay has some good schools, bus route and near the beach.

I was born and bred in Wellington so can help you more there, for a more tranquil life you could try out of Wellington and commute in by train, Traffic congestion can be annoying if living outside of Wellington.

If you met D&D on a weekend I'll come over and gatecrash. If they don't mind that is
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:56 am
big dave

Does everyone know each other on this site?
Or is it one person with lots if ID's?
Old Aug 13th 2007, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

rockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nice

You will be surpised at how many people there are in the area you want to live. I move out on the 23rd to start work on the 3rd sept in Lower Hutt.
And I found out that someone I worked with in the 80's, works in Upper Hutt, like they say small world.

Regards
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

In summer we meet up & have BBQ's. The lasses have boozy nights out together. You'll get to know the welly lot soon.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Dave,

If you met D&D on a weekend I'll come over and gatecrash. If they don't mind that is
I'll come and gate crash too with my lot!! Any excuse for a get together!!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:15 pm
big dave

looks like a get together is on the cards then folks?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:14 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

rockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nice

Me too.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

spackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rockape
Me too.
Count us in.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice

Stokes Vegas is ok, more of an up-and-coming area IMO, and there are some decidedly grotty streets (some are ok though) - it's quite cheap for the Hutt though. If you like the look of the Hutt, I would try the Western Hills (Korokoro, Maungaraki, Belmont etc etc) or the bottom bit of Upper Hutt (Silverstream, Pinehaven etc).

Guess you need to decide how far you want to commute - Stokes Vegas is a good 45 mins at least by car from the CBD at peak periods (40 mins by train) - plenty of other nice areas in the City itself or nearer (e.g. Tawa).
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Dudes-I feel a party coming on!! Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!1
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:32 am
big dave

Is it always like this when 'new blood' arrives? Shoud I be worried?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.