British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Help please with Midwifery registration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-please-midwifery-registration-508277/)

Tapuhi Jan 22nd 2008 5:36 pm

Help please with Midwifery registration

Kia ora!

I am a midwife in England and am starting the process of putting in my EOI. Whilst researching the ins and outs, I visited the Midwifery Council of New Zealand with regards to registration in New Zealand, I have just found out i will have to complete a "Self Assessment against Competencies for Registration"- its a 10 page document!! OMG!!

I thought they were short of midwives and they wanted us, just looking at the booklet is enough to make you consider staying in the UK or even trying Australia!!!

I want to move to New Zealand so i need help please. Has anyone out there completed the registration document and successfully got registration. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Tapuhi

11ThousandMilesFromHome Jan 22nd 2008 6:19 pm

Re: Help please with Midwifery registration

Hey, yes i've completed the self assessment and got NZ midwifery registration.

the only thing i can say is to do the self assessment a bit at a time and take your time. Get a friend to look over it for you and see if you can add bit to it.

it's really not that bad once you've got started

good luck and i'm sure it'll be ok:thumbsup:

mallard Jan 23rd 2008 9:28 pm

Hi to both of you. I too am a midwife and have an interview in April with a healthcare recruitment company who are currently placing newly qualified graduate midwives in NZ (moi!). They have told me that I have to register with the NZ board of Midwives asap.
I was wondering Mandie if you have any idea of the pay scales for midwifery I would be really interested to know. I have just been reading about the cost of living in NZ on another thread and its scary I have to say.
And Tapuhi, do you have a job to go to?

Kind regards
Mallard

Tapuhi Jan 26th 2008 5:58 pm

Hi Mallard

Nice to find like minded people.

No at the mo i don't have a job lined up. I only qualified in feb last year and due to being unable to get a job didn't start work till august. But now with experience and competancies under my belt i will start to talk to people.

Where did you train? Are you working at the mo or have you been unable to get jobs? Sorry loads of questions.

What area of NZ are you looking at? We are aiming for Bay of Plenty.

If you do a search on google for a document titled "DISTRICT HEALTH BOARDS / NZNO NURSING and MIDWIFERY MULTI-EMPLOYER COLLECTIVE AGREEMENT" it has all the info you need with regards to pay and conditions. Salaries start around $42800 for a new grad.

Hope thats helpful to you.

Pm me if we can share other info.

Tapuhi