Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

help please!!! LONG and confusing!

help please!!! LONG and confusing!

Old Oct 6th 2006, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all
Default Re: help please!!! LONG and confusing!

Originally Posted by kwprwn
Hi there

Living in Henderson in west auckland which is probably a bit to far to commute to Mangere, so not sure on what areas that are nice around mangere, but I love auckland, have lived for 6 months over here now (so still fairly new by some standards) and it still makes me smile when I see the auckland skyline and the sky tower...I think its wonderful here, the traffic is quite bad in parts but probably no worse or better than london...i read somewere when i first got here that there are more cars per household here than in LA, which was quite a scary thought

Plus points to auckland...you are close to beaches, 4 hr drive to ski resorts in winter.

when we first got here I used to miss going to the pub at a weekend, as there is not the same sort of pub life here as in the uk...people tend to stay at home and drink

I love it here, we chose west auckland as hubby has all his family here

but I guess its depends on what you like as a person
The air pollution is Auckland is also one of the worst of Western cities also Traffic is bloomin awful - 2 lanes in and out of THE major city in NZ - however - pretty city - my Sister in Law lives there. I think its a got a great skyline, good social culture - but I am happy NOT to live there
Old Oct 7th 2006, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Makes us happy "Westies"
yes and the but of many jokes...but we put up with it
Old Oct 7th 2006, 4:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stacey19
The company has factories in Auckland,Christchurch and Australia and relocating after a few years won't be a problem..even to OZ!!!
You probably won't want to relocate until you have New Zealand citizenship. It's now FIVE years for that.

Will you be going to NZ on a permanent or temporary visa?
Old Oct 7th 2006, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You probably won't want to relocate until you have New Zealand citizenship. It's now FIVE years for that.

Will you be going to NZ on a permanent or temporary visa?
JAJ,

The company is massive,if they can sort out a work visa for here then they would be able to sort one out for Oz.

As you know they only need to stay here for 2 years after PR to get IRRV.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 5:38 am
Just Joined

bertifi is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: help please!!! LONG and confusing!

Hi we moved here in feb this year - i work in manukau - just along from Mangere - we live in Howick area which is nice enough but quite expensive. have a look on trademe for rental houses you will get the idea for price then in different areas. i am approx 20 minutes to manukau on a busy morning - depending if all the traffic lights - and there are lots - are green!
there are lots of nice areas around depends though what you are looking for.
good luck
Old Oct 7th 2006, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bertifi
Hi we moved here in feb this year - i work in manukau - just along from Mangere - we live in Howick area which is nice enough but quite expensive. have a look on trademe for rental houses you will get the idea for price then in different areas. i am approx 20 minutes to manukau on a busy morning - depending if all the traffic lights - and there are lots - are green!
there are lots of nice areas around depends though what you are looking for.
good luck
We lived in Howick, 59 Moore St. Have a look at the house for me and let me know what you think its worth now ?

Just wondering !
Old Oct 7th 2006, 5:54 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
JAJ,

The company is massive,if they can sort out a work visa for here then they would be able to sort one out for Oz.

As you know they only need to stay here for 2 years after PR to get IRRV.
What is IRRV, dont think I have heard that before???
Old Oct 7th 2006, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
What is IRRV, dont think I have heard that before???
Indefinite Returning Resident Visa, basically after 2 years with PR you go to your local NZIS and get another stamp/sticker. Cost us $100 for 3 of us, once you get this you can go out of NZ for as long as you want and can not be refused entry when you come back, if you come back !
Old Oct 7th 2006, 7:07 am
Just Joined

bertifi is an unknown quantity at this point

i will take a wee look at moore street - prices here are crazy just now though!
Old Oct 7th 2006, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bertifi
i will take a wee look at moore street - prices here are crazy just now though!
We sold it for $460K 2 years ago
Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Indefinite Returning Resident Visa, basically after 2 years with PR you go to your local NZIS and get another stamp/sticker. Cost us $100 for 3 of us, once you get this you can go out of NZ for as long as you want and can not be refused entry when you come back, if you come back !
It's still not the same as New Zealand citizenship.

No New Zealand passport (and no special rights in Australia), and no NZ citizenship by descent for overseas born children. Also, it would be quite feasible for the NZ government to retrospectively put a time limit on this "indefinite" visa - if they decided to do that, there would be absolutely nothing you could do about it.

PR can also be revoked if you ever get into trouble with the law.

IRRV is better than nothing, but in terms of long term security, it falls a long way short of New Zealand citizenship.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 11:28 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's still not the same as New Zealand citizenship.

No New Zealand passport (and no special rights in Australia), and no NZ citizenship by descent for overseas born children. Also, it would be quite feasible for the NZ government to retrospectively put a time limit on this "indefinite" visa - if they decided to do that, there would be absolutely nothing you could do about it.

PR can also be revoked if you ever get into trouble with the law.

IRRV is better than nothing, but in terms of long term security, it falls a long way short of New Zealand citizenship.
I'm applying for PR as married to a Kiwi - knew he was useful for something!! Just wondering if anyone knows how long from my living over there with him on a PR before or if at all I could apply for citizenship?

You're all going to tell me I can't ever now aren't you?!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 3:47 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I'm applying for PR as married to a Kiwi - knew he was useful for something!! Just wondering if anyone knows how long from my living over there with him on a PR before or if at all I could apply for citizenship?
It's now five years for citizenship (people who applied for PR before 21 Apr 05 may still apply after three years).

http://www.citizenship.govt.nz has details.

And importantly, has your Kiwi got British citizenship? If not, he ought to think about applying for naturalisation as that will ease any future return to the UK (or even extended vacations when the children are older, if they return).
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

To cut a long story short the OH has been offered a job in Christchurch, sydenham to be precise.
He was offered the job after speaking to several companies, all of whom were wanting him to step foot on NZ soil first and they would employ him no problems.
Now he has been offered another job (after the company requesting many references to check he can do what he says), and they are very impressed.
They are putting togther a "package" to beat the Christchurch offer....ONE PROBLEM THOUGH.......The company is in Auckland :scared: !!! I am probably being a soft shite over this but I don't like the sound of Auckland, the "big city life" doesnt really do it for me. HOWEVER (Oh it gets better )The company has factories in Auckland,Christchurch and Australia and relocating after a few years won't be a problem..even to OZ!!!
What do we do??? Is Auckland really that bad?? He would be working in Mangere ( I can see the grins on your faces now ..) what nice areas are around a half hour comute from Mangere??? And what is Auckland really like??

Any help would be appreciated

stacey xxxxxx :scared:
Hiya.... I'm not into big cities either so thats why we live here out at Beachlands.... its a largish village with a few sheltered beaches, a nice little parade of shops and a good community spirit. The more people I speak to the more I realise that people stay here for donkeys years. Its a pretty nice place to bring up children if you have any (or plan to )... the sea is very calm here as we are surrounded by islands.... the views here are lovely. Its close enough to Auckland to be able to get there in 20 minutes but far away to give you that seaside village feeling. Its not within half hour of Mangere though.... (might be with OH driving!! But certainly not with mine!).... my OH didnt want to commute so far into town but has got used to it now and loves living here. Its a popular village and hard to get a rental house in the summer months but easier in the winter. Prices at the moment seem to vary from high 300's for a 2 bedrrom bach up to well over a million plus.

Good luck with your decisions.... we like it here anyway and have lots of British friends who love it here too.

Cheers

SarahB
Old Oct 8th 2006, 11:35 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

To cut a long story short the OH has been offered a job in Christchurch, sydenham to be precise.
He was offered the job after speaking to several companies, all of whom were wanting him to step foot on NZ soil first and they would employ him no problems.
Now he has been offered another job (after the company requesting many references to check he can do what he says), and they are very impressed.
They are putting togther a "package" to beat the Christchurch offer....ONE PROBLEM THOUGH.......The company is in Auckland :scared: !!! I am probably being a soft shite over this but I don't like the sound of Auckland, the "big city life" doesnt really do it for me. HOWEVER (Oh it gets better )The company has factories in Auckland,Christchurch and Australia and relocating after a few years won't be a problem..even to OZ!!!
What do we do??? Is Auckland really that bad?? He would be working in Mangere ( I can see the grins on your faces now ..) what nice areas are around a half hour comute from Mangere??? And what is Auckland really like??

Any help would be appreciated

stacey xxxxxx :scared:
Hi Stacey

One Tree Hill, Greenlane, Remuera, Cornwall Park all very nice and very accessible too Mangere.

My advice - use the job to get your foot in the door - easier to pick and choose once your working over here and hey between Auckland/CH/Oz its a very small flight - most of us are spending a few trips a month back and forth over the tasman and cook strait.