Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

HELP are New Zealand roads like this all the time ?

HELP are New Zealand roads like this all the time ?

Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: HELP are New Zealand roads like this all the time ?

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
I thought you might show up. one of the below.
Ah I see humour! negative humour! the Gods own country squad will have your guts for garters.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:53 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
I thought you might show up. one of the below.
Ah I see humour! negative humour! the Gods own country squad will have your guts for garters.
Well I'd hate to disappoint Why so down on me? I love where I live. I love my new life and the fact that my kids are so happy and settled and we finally have in our lives that work/life balance that was missing before. Why do I have to be put down in such a way just for saying so??????

But then maybe I'm just the kinda gal that looks for the good in everything and not let the negatives get me down
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:55 am
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Your comments make me fall off my chair with laughter (LOL). Take your rose tinted glasses off and look at the real picture or is your head stuck to far up where the the sun don't shine, you can't see anything. No bitchin just my observations.
Rose tinted glasses? And now we resort to insults as well My god one person is missing from this thread and most likely using an alias <snipped>

I am starting to wonder if this Tanya who has not posted since is part of that disruption. Well it worked now people are at each others throats.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 6th 2007 at 9:58 am. Reason: move on
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:25 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

A case of "forum rage perhaps" ?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:26 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by whitesand
Speed and small, country roads just don't go together.
Nothing a Bob Marley CD can't cure
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:29 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nerine
A case of "forum rage perhaps" ?
Hey, we live in New Zealand

No worries
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:31 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell
...now people are at each others throats.
not me

I everyone

Live and let live
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Campbells
Nothing a Bob Marley CD can't cure
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baron Silas Greenback
I will help them pack just to get rid of them.....

Some of the comments on this thread are hilarious, UK drivers more road aware... you are joking surely, road awareness is an individual trait not a national trait, you get idiots and annoying drivers in every country. I am starting to expect gross generalisations and scare mongering on this board, and its the same old people every time. Just shows some people emmigrate because they look forward to a new life.. and others emmigrate as they have run out of things to whinge about in their current country, so need a new country to bitch about.
You would not be saying that if you had ever driven in Dubai. It IS a national trait there and not an individual one.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Dolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really niceDolores is just really nice

Being a NZer...............I will admit that there are some really bad drivers here (the 'boy racers' completely do my head in and I wish more could be done to rein them in)................but really there are bad drivers in all countries of the world - we don't have a monopoly on that!! The other thing I would like to remind you of is the population of NZ (as if any of you have forgotten it) but compare the tax take on a population of 4 million compared to one of 60 million and that should give you a clue as to why the roads aren't up to the same standard as the roads in the UK!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:04 pm

That can be said for a lot of the infrastructure in NZ though can't it. The NZ government certainly takes more tax out of working people than the British one does, but then again it gives more back in benefits. Maybe that's why there's little money put aside for development?

It's worth noting though that NZ has been sitting on a tax revenue surplus for the last 8 years and its finally decided that its safe to start to spending some of it, hope they start with the roads hey
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:52 pm
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Nerine
It's worth noting though that NZ has been sitting on a tax revenue surplus for the last 8 years and its finally decided that its safe to start to spending some of it, hope they start with the roads hey
They already do! they put tarseal on the roads replacing the mainly gravel roads that existed throughout NZ up until a few years ago. Was not more than 15 years ago the main Napier Taupo highway was a gravel road.

You think some of the roads in Auckland are bad try the stretch of SH4 between Raetihi and Wanganui. Then tell me how much of the tax surplus will be left if that was upgraded but as was pointed out the UK has population of over 60 million and new zealand 4 million and also our Road Taxes are far lower than the UK. Dont take a maths genius to work out why the roads are not up to the standard of the UK.

Also considering the UK road structure was built on Roads built by the Romans over the the last Thousand years where New Zealand Roads are less than 100 years. Kind of think NZ is doing pretty well!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:10 pm

I wasn't really talking about the metalled roads but since you mentioned it....Some of the metalled roads around Auckland were/are scheduled to be tar sealed over a 10 year period, however many local authority maintained roads are not. Apparently there is some forumla that's used to decide on whether or not to seal a stretch of road, the cost of it is then shared between the council and Land Transport.

If a road's not sealed then the maintenance is usally dumping a load of loose stone on it every now off the back of a truck and then and plugging up the potholes. Quite similar to the maintenance of tar sealed when you think about it.

Love your comment about Roman Roads, does that include the M25?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Tanya64 will become famous soon enoughTanya64 will become famous soon enough

Oh my,

What a response, and variety of responses. As a new member, I get the impression that some of the responses seem to be almost political and are as if people are employed as New Zealand ambassadors to counter anything that is being discussed about the country that could be seen as negative.

Some of the members are plain rude with comments like, you know where the airport is. I guess that is a shining example of good parenting and discussion skills. Rather scary. It would seem that there are some high levels of paranoia too.

I really wish I had the time to respond to some of these replies but sense a risk of being sucked into an existing mud-slinging contest. Not too inviting I must add.

The bottom line is clear that there is a problem in New Zealand with hoons (not sure if I can get used to that word).

What disappoints is, nobody has actually mentioned that anything is being done about it. I mean a real solution, not changing the driving age from 15 to 16 so they can see over the dashboard

Further than the disappointing it paints a picture that there is possibly an outlook when issues are raised by genuinely concerned folk that the issue is dealt with by pretending there is not an issue.

Viewing New Zealand as our potential “home” these are the questions we will be putting up on the board to make our decisions and ultimately problems need solutions otherwise we are all just becoming politicians and end up arguing whilst the real problems just get bigger.

Posting another question on a separate topic regarding some of the houses we looked at for rent in Auckland.

Thank you for your responses.

Tanya
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:07 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I think the frustration is that nothing really substantial is being done to rein in the anti-social gits out on the highways and byways of New Zealand. The government (National or Labour, take your pick) is reluctant to do anything to really address the problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.