Reload this Page >

Help needed please re:removals

Help needed please re:removals

Old Nov 16th 2006, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help needed please re:removals

Hello!

I'm new to the site but wondered if you would mind giving me some advice. My husband & I arrive in Auckland in approx 9weeks time. Hooray! Though having a few last minute nerves... is that normal?
We have had a couple of quotes for shipping our gear to NZ but we are not sure who to choose. Our quotes are from PSS & Allied Pickfords. Any personal experience of these companies (warts & all) would be helpful.

Many thanks,
Annie
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:10 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed please re:removals

Go to the shipping quotes post Annie, lots of feedback there.
Good luck Peeps.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Go to the shipping quotes post Annie, lots of feedback there.
Good luck Peeps.
Many thanks for that, will do.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 2:37 am

taffinkent will become famous soon enough

Hi

We used PSS and they were great. No problems at all. They were not the cheapest, but everything arrived in one piece and on time.

Taff
Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:54 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

We used PSS too, they were very good. The guys in the Uk did a great job and when it got to here they Kiwi guys were great too !!! No problems at all and nothing was damaged....
Old Nov 17th 2006, 6:46 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

having a few last minute nerves... is that normal?

Very normal :scared: It's a huge move halfway round the world..... you're bound to have some worries. Thankfully, once you get here you will be so busy organising your new life you won't have time to worry!
I think one of the good things about this site is that we are all Brits moving/already moved to NZ so everyone is in the same boat and know what you are going through. Although very few of us have met, there is a feeling of cameraderie and support through our shared experiences. So hopefully you won't feel too alone with all this.
Have some karma to calm you down
Karen B
Old Nov 17th 2006, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for the replies & the info. We are very grateful & now less ! After long discussion last night & your help we have decided to go with PSS. They had the better quote but it's always good to get recommendations.
Thanks for your words of wisdom Karen, much appreciated. Had a quick read of your blog, very entertaining . I see from that that you are a nurse, how do you find the NZ healthcare system? I'm a midwife (or madwife according to my husband & a few of my colleagues), though I'm not sure I want to stay in midwifery. Haven't got a job yet as I want to have a look at units in Auckland first.
Thanks again one & all
Annie
Old Nov 18th 2006, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Annie,
We used Crown, they were excellent. The added bonus with them is that they use their own company at both ends. Where as PSS contract out in NZ. With Crown there is no passing the buck, we had nothing missing or broken. They sorted out the lot with customs here. They also take your used packaging and boxes, you must remember that getting rid of rubbish isn't as easy as back home. Extra and bulky rubbish you have to take to the tip.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnieNell
Hello!

I'm new to the site but wondered if you would mind giving me some advice. My husband & I arrive in Auckland in approx 9weeks time. Hooray! Though having a few last minute nerves... is that normal?
We have had a couple of quotes for shipping our gear to NZ but we are not sure who to choose. Our quotes are from PSS & Allied Pickfords. Any personal experience of these companies (warts & all) would be helpful.

Many thanks,
Annie
I just wanted to say good luck with the move and hope you like NZ. We used Hadley & Ottaway from Norwich (they ought to give me some commission the amount of times I recommend them on here!!).... they were excellent. They used The Moving Company here at this end and they were good too.... strapping good looking men and they come back whenever you like to take away any packing rubbish. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:23 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

strapping good looking men and they come back whenever you like to take away any packing rubbish.

I have some rubbish that needs taking out......do you think they might come and do that for me if I ask nicely
(need a smiley for DROOOOOL)
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
strapping good looking men and they come back whenever you like to take away any packing rubbish.

I have some rubbish that needs taking out......do you think they might come and do that for me if I ask nicely
(need a smiley for DROOOOOL)

That reminds me of when we moved house the other month... we only moved literally round the corner but with me having a bun in the oven and OH with 2 hernias we decided not to do it ourselves. We hired Auckland Carriers and jeez were they strong!! This one guy carried a 3 seater settee by himself on one shoulder down from the living area (first floor).... down onto the decking... down some steep wooden stairs to the back garden, then round the garden to the front of the house and up into the truck.... we made sure the lads got a good tip!! They worked bl00dy hard!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
Annie,
We used Crown, they were excellent. The added bonus with them is that they use their own company at both ends. Where as PSS contract out in NZ. With Crown there is no passing the buck, we had nothing missing or broken. They sorted out the lot with customs here. They also take your used packaging and boxes, you must remember that getting rid of rubbish isn't as easy as back home. Extra and bulky rubbish you have to take to the tip.

we used crown too , & would recommend them. They also offered to take our boxes away , but we have kept them for our next move (when we get our own house)!!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good luck!

We used PSS and they were jolly good, just keep ample supplies of tea and bikkies.

NZ Vans did the other end and they also were jolly good.

Good luck!
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by poppets
we used crown too , & would recommend them. They also offered to take our boxes away , but we have kept them for our next move (when we get our own house)!!
Good idea.... we did that too. We kept lots of the large packing boxes, just took the tape off and kept them in the garage.... we kept them for when we moved to our house.... still have them but dont plan to move for a little while now.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Pastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of lightPastor Flaps is a glorious beacon of light

Just to add to the mix, we used John Mason's and The Moving Company in NZ.
As always I will be honest about the experiance.
John Mason's in UK were excellent, got a really good price after a bit of negotiation. Lads who packed were very good.
The moving company in NZ were ok, but communication poor. I sent emails which were not responded to, however the goods arrived early and with no problems, so maybe I was expecting too much and they didnt reply as they had no news, but I believe its always better to say that in a reply.

Our trailer tent has just arrived in a shared container and we do have problems, so will wait to see how that is sorted. Basically Maff inspected it at the dock and the awning and other bits are covered in Oil and a couple of bits broken. Called Moving company who said phone john mason. Phoned John Mason, who had already forgotton who we were, not interested and passed us onto the insurance company to sort, which is fine as thats what we need to do, however it would have been nice if they had asked how we were. It felt like, they had our money, done there bit so were not interested.

So my tip would be, ask whoever you choose how they deal with problems once you get here. Will be interesting what there response is.

Good luck, dont forget to pack a big box of Can Do Attitude, and you will be fine.

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.