British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   help needed in Ngaio (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-needed-ngaio-503072/)

Catkin09 Jan 2nd 2008 9:27 pm

help needed in Ngaio

Hi Folks

We've finally arrived in Wely and are looking at houses to rent. We thought Ngaio looked a good place, any advice on good areas or bad areas? What about schools etc?
Look forward to any help
Catkin

simonmarkellis Jan 2nd 2008 9:49 pm

Re: help needed in Ngaio

Originally Posted by Catkin09 (Post 5731129)
Hi Folks

We've finally arrived in Wely and are looking at houses to rent. We thought Ngaio looked a good place, any advice on good areas or bad areas? What about schools etc?
Look forward to any help
Catkin

Can't offer any advice on Ngaio as i don't know the area, but thought i'd just say welcome to Welly!

dreamfish Jan 2nd 2008 10:28 pm

Hi Folks

Look forward to any help
Catkin

Hi there - I am renting in Khandallah currently. I quite like Ngaio, Crofton Downs and Khandallah. Not aware of any rough - all seems good!
Afraid I cannot comment on schools either - so not much help to you really!

When I did the recce in February I stayed in Crofton Downs, and now renting here for couple months.

Train and bus links are great, very regular and reliable. You're 15 mins from Welly and Johnsonville, 20 mins or so to Petone or Porirua. Nice houses, dont think the sections are very big, seem to hold their price (although Khandallah is very pricey).

Sbox Jan 3rd 2008 1:48 am

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 5731359)
Hi there - I am renting in Khandallah currently. I quite like Ngaio, Crofton Downs and Khandallah. Not aware of any rough - all seems good!
Afraid I cannot comment on schools either - so not much help to you really!

When I did the recce in February I stayed in Crofton Downs, and now renting here for couple months.

Train and bus links are great, very regular and reliable. You're 15 mins from Welly and Johnsonville, 20 mins or so to Petone or Porirua. Nice houses, dont think the sections are very big, seem to hold their price (although Khandallah is very pricey).

We initially rented and now own in Ngaio, great place to be close to City for work but with good transport. Been in NZ 2.5 yrs and Highly recommend it.

Maz Jan 3rd 2008 2:27 am

Hi Folks

Look forward to any help
Catkin

I'm out in the Porirua area and am not familiar with that area, sorry! Welcome to beautiful Wellington though. :) :thumbup:

Ted Logan Jan 3rd 2008 8:11 am

Hi Folks

Look forward to any help
Catkin

Ngaio is one of the "forgotten" suburbs of Wellington. I have an Uncle and Auntie that have lived there for 40+ years so something must be nice about it otherwise they would have definately moved by now.

You aren't that far from town unlike the Hutt or Porirua, good little shopping area and a good community. Good public transport in fact I quite like it except you are in the western suburbs on a hill. The problem with this is that this area does seem to attract the overcast bad weather (we are in Miramar and can see this from our house) but during summer as with other parts it can be very nice.

kamburu pat Jan 3rd 2008 9:17 am

Hi Folks

Look forward to any help
Catkin

Hi Catkin,
I`ve been to Ngaio to visit my son and his partner, they like it there and say it`s fairly easy to get into work in town. It is very hilly there but Johnsonville and Khandallah are close by for food shopping. As I was only a visitor I don`t know about schools etc.
Pat.

Catkin09 Jan 4th 2008 3:57 am

Thanks for your help guys

We were supposed to go and look at a house today, but unfortunately, Sam the 7 year has picked up a virus from the planr trip. He's been talking to the big white telephone quite a lot and has a temperature of 39.3. The doctor came out to the hotel and didn't charge us the $190 which I thought was fab:eek: Anyway, lots of paracetamol, plenty of flat lemonade and no food!! He's now feeling better and driving me round the twist!!:wub:

Take care

Catkin

Maz Jan 4th 2008 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Catkin09 (Post 5736934)
Thanks for your help guys

We were supposed to go and look at a house today, but unfortunately, Sam the 7 year has picked up a virus from the planr trip. He's been talking to the big white telephone quite a lot and has a temperature of 39.3. The doctor came out to the hotel and didn't charge us the $190 which I thought was fab:eek: Anyway, lots of paracetamol, plenty of flat lemonade and no food!! He's now feeling better and driving me round the twist!!:wub:

Take care

Catkin

Ooooh bummer! :( :( :( I hope he gets better soon!