Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help Needed Moving To NZ for Work

Help Needed Moving To NZ for Work

Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:37 am
Just Joined

tequilla11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help Needed Moving To NZ for Work

Hi my husband, myself and my 11 year old are moving to New Zealand for work in July to work on the Avondale Tunnel Project, it will be for approx 2 years. I need help finding really good areas to rent a house, in an area that is good for schooling and commuting to the jobsite in Avondale.
I would prefer a quite family expat area, in an area where there is a lot do do for my son who is a keen footballer.
Can anyone please help... its quiet a daunting task to move my family around the world for 2 years.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:39 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Needed Moving To NZ for Work

Originally Posted by tequilla11
Hi my husband, myself and my 11 year old are moving to New Zealand for work in July to work on the Avondale Tunnel Project, it will be for approx 2 years. I need help finding really good areas to rent a house, in an area that is good for schooling and commuting to the jobsite in Avondale.
I would prefer a quite family expat area, in an area where there is a lot do do for my son who is a keen footballer.
Can anyone please help... its quiet a daunting task to move my family around the world for 2 years.
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I can't answer your questions I'm afraid but I'm sure there'll be some answers along soon.

Enjoy B.E.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Many Thanks I hope so, this is so daunting especially as we will get there and have to start work within a few weeks of landing having never been to NZ before.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 10:46 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tequilla11
Many Thanks I hope so, this is so daunting especially as we will get there and have to start work within a few weeks of landing having never been to NZ before.
Just bear in mind it's nearly 1.00 am there (I'm in Oz) so our members might just be in bed!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 12:27 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, good luck with it all. www.trademe.co.nz is a useful website to search for homes to rent or buy in the Avondale area. So is Zoopla. If you need things to get you by whilst waiting for your container to come then Warehouse sells things similar to all the non food items of Tesco. If you need to rent anything i.e. white goods, furniture, electrical items then Mr.Rental are good.

Briscoes is like Robert Dyas but has bed sheets and towels where the gardening and d.i.y stuff would be.

If the Waterview Tunnel starts at Mount Roskill and goes to Pt. Chevalier (known as Point Chev locally). Those could be your starting points. Mt Roskill is an ok suburb of Auckland. Locals say it's over run with Asian/Chinese immigrants. Try and rent on the north shore of Auckland as crossing the Auckland Harbour bridge each day is gridlock in the rush hour. Probably why they're building the Waterview Tunnel !

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jan 15th 2013 at 12:37 am.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 5:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you I would look at Green Bay, Blockhouse Bay or Titirangi.

I don't honestly think Avon-delay (as we call it in an attempt to posh it up a bit ) or Mt Roskill would be the sort of place you (nor many expats) would want to live.

ETA In case anyone takes offence, please see Auckland suburb guide:

http://www.auckland-suburb-guide.co.nz/

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jan 16th 2013 at 5:25 am.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

chris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nice

The 3 suburbs that Bo-Jangles has suggested would be the ones that I would, also. Quite nice areas with many houses with a view out to the Manukau harbour.

My son played football (soccer here) for the first 4 years we were here and Blockhouse Bay, as I recall, had a pretty decent team. You shouldn't have a problem finding a football team for him in most Aucklands suburbs as it's getting more and more popular all of the time. It used to be all league, rugby and cricket, but us immigrants have changed all that.

You will probably find a smattering of expats everywhere although I would suggest that you integrate as much as you can with the locals and the many other nationalities over here. Don't just surround yourself with other English people would be my advice (although it's great to have some that have the same sense of humour and you can connect with straight away).

Good luck with the move. It's a major, major thing that you are undertaking. Personally speaking, it's been well worth all of the upheaval, cost etc, etc.

Chris
Old Jan 18th 2013, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if the OP has left the building but interesting article and video 'infomercial' about the Waterview project in the Herald today

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/transport/...ectid=10859860
Old Jan 18th 2013, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your help I will read and take a look at all this as soon as I have time :-)