Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

help is needed...dont know who else to ask

help is needed...dont know who else to ask

Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help is needed...dont know who else to ask

Hi Macecki, have you ever been to NZ? Being able to drive there is a must for sure, better think about driving lessons as a priority!
Make sure you really want to end up in NZ long term before you move, unless your young enough to go ping ponging until you decide on your final destination.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Moneypenny a call centre in the Uk relocated some staff to NZ give them a call, cant hurt.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

makecki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Couple of questions you maybe should think about. Because by the tone of your posts, it would appear you need answers to things in a rush.

Do YOU want to move to NZ?
Apart from being homesick, is everything sweet with your relationship?

Because I promise you, moving halfway across the world is not going to work if either answer to the above is no.

excellent question
i DO want to move to new zealand... just scared because i dont want to get there and be stuck. i know i have the in-laws but i dont want to rely on people for more then a couple of months.

in terms of my relationship..... its fantastic... she is an awesome kiwi, (its her birthday today, just saying.) we never argue, we have similar interests.... no problems at all there.(she is even becoming a football/soccer fan).

i guess im asking for a fast answer because ive been asking these questions for months and months and got nowhere.....

thanks for your question tho
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:56 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

If you come over and don't like it then there is nothing saying that you have to stay. you should maybe talk to your girlfriend about the possibility of you not liking it and what would happen then.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mydogbitjesus
Hi Macecki, have you ever been to NZ? Being able to drive there is a must for sure, better think about driving lessons as a priority!
Make sure you really want to end up in NZ long term before you move, unless your young enough to go ping ponging until you decide on your final destination.
ive never been no..... i have friends there (they are joiners living in christchurch, they have trades). so they have different situations.

i wont be moving without doing alot of research. but some questions i have cant really be answered so i thought 'forums' and you guys have been helpful

looks like i have to do them driving lessons again
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:06 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by makecki
hey guys and girls

I'm married to a kiwi and am thinking of moving over there.... however i have a few questions and i would appreciate your input as i cant find answers to them anywhere else

first of all, we rent in the UK.... so have no house to sell to move over there, so my question is.... approx how much money would we need to set our selfs up over there in terms of rent on a place and maybe 1 months worth of living until we both have jobs. we have a place to stay in her parents but i don't want to be there for years hehe.

secondly, what is the job situation over there.... i am a manager in a call centre and it pays well in the UK..... are jobs easy to get in NZ?

we would move to Auckland, but which is the best part to move to for public transport... neither of us drive for the reason we live in the city centre in the UK and we both work in that city, so its not a problem and we have access to buses, trams and trains on our doorstep

if you can answer any of these questions then you will really be doing me a favour....

Thanks

Malecki
Some of these are not straight forward questions to answer, much depends on you.

As others have pointed out, Auckland is not the best place for public transport. Avondale itself is a far way out from the city center, not being able to drive is a handicap and one you should think about addressing.

Looking at the job section on Trademe, there are currently five call center jobs.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Cate...144=2147483647

Remember NZ has population of less than 5 million, with about a million in Auckland, so opportunities are going to be a lesser scale.

That being said, you could turn up and land on your feet. Its a great unknown and that is partly what makes emigrating so exciting/scary.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Some of these are not straight forward questions to answer, much depends on you.

As others have pointed out, Auckland is not the best place for public transport. Avondale itself is a far way out from the city center, not being able to drive is a handicap and one you should think about addressing.

Looking at the job section on Trademe, there are currently five call center jobs.

Remember NZ has population of less than 5 million, with about a million in Auckland, so opportunities are going to be a lesser scale.

That being said, you could turn up and land on your feet. Its a great unknown and that is partly what makes emigrating so exciting/scary.

its terrifying! not scary haha
i will look at the link im a manager at the call centre, i dont want to be going back on the phones (i hate that hehe)
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

ps thanks for the link im going to look at it now
Old Oct 30th 2013, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

trafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond repute

I am a kiwi, my OH is English, and we met each other in NZ while he was working/travelling there. He decided he wanted to return to the UK when I was pregnant with our 3rd child. The reasons he gave at the time were to reconnect with his family, but he later admitted that the real reason was that he felt he would never be able to afford the lifestyle he wanted for the family had he stayed in NZ. He says it's a great place if you have money. But after 16 years back in the UK, he is desperate to return to NZ for the lifestyle. So if you take his experience, he learned that he found it hard to get ahead financially in NZ, but that NZ taught him that financial security/advancement isn't the secret to happiness either. If you read enough on this site, most people will tell you that it can be a struggle financially. NZ is quite expensive, especially Auckland. But many people will also tell you that the lifestyle and experience has been great. I would say that most don't regret the experience, wherever they end up living.

While I don't want to encourage blind risktaking, you are young by the sounds of things. As long as you are flexible, enthusiastic and have a sense of adventure, then what long term harm can it do? Yes, it might be tough financially, but there are no guarantees anywhere. So it is a risk to leave what you know behind but, “You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.” (Andre Gide). I figure that if I try to do things I am not quite ready for, then that's how I grow and experience a fuller life. Risk failure and trouble. Don't worry if you don't feel totally ready. I never do (and I am a born worrier and list maker) but life has taught me that it's the unplanned and unexpected that is sometimes the best bit of any journey (real or metaphorical) and that my "failures" have been as important as my "successes". So if you are interested in having a bit of a challenge, and experience, then go for it. I know I am happier in life taking risks and going forward than I am when planning and plodding. Even though I am petrified. To continue the nautical theme, "a ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships were built for".

Oh, and learn to drive
Old Oct 31st 2013, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help with call centre jobs, sorry. Trademe is a good guide for rental prices

I wouldn't move to NZ without having a driving licence or the intention to get one asap. You don't come here for the inner city buzz and all the good stuff is a drive away unless you want to spend your life on buses. There is good public transport for commuting in/out of the CBD of Auckland but more complex trips quickly become a PITA. For instance, I recently wanted to get from Orewa to Takapuna by 9am on a weekday. Driving, I would leave at around 0820 and get there with time to spare. The latest I could leave home to travel by bus was 6:43 am.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 3:33 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

excellent question
i DO want to move to new zealand... just scared because i dont want to get there and be stuck. i know i have the in-laws but i dont want to rely on people for more then a couple of months.

in terms of my relationship..... its fantastic... she is an awesome kiwi, (its her birthday today, just saying.) we never argue, we have similar interests.... no problems at all there.(she is even becoming a football/soccer fan).

i guess im asking for a fast answer because ive been asking these questions for months and months and got nowhere.....

thanks for your question tho
I can't answer your Auckland questions as I have never lived there, in fact I haven't even visited really, all I know about is the walk between the domestic and international terminals

She sounds perfect but you probably do need to decide what will happen if either of you find NZ is not for you. And yes, that could mean that she is the one to find it's not what it used to be and prefers the UK. You'll never know until you try!
But, sometimes you have to take a risk. I met a kiwi on holiday. Never had any intention of emigrating at all before then. After a few meetups in various parts of the world and two years later, we decided to go for it, I could always return to the UK if NZ if things didn't work out. For work reasons it was easier for me to move rather than him and I could apply as a skilled migrant so no visa issues for me.
Yes, it was scary, a risk and you'll go through a multitude of emotions etc etc but 5 years on, I can say that it was the right decision to make. So embrace it, do lots of research and see where life leads you

Trafford said it much better than me!
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute

I have a really good friend from Glasgow who married a kiwi girl. They travelled between Scotland and NZ before they had kids and seem to be settled in NZ now. He seems ok with that as he has a good job and doesn't seem to miss the UK, so it can be done.
Me on the other hand have given up good jobs in the middle east, the uk and NZ to move to the Netherlands with my long term gf who is Dutch. Once she got 'back home' everything was great for her but s**t for me. Seems like she changed a bit when she got back here with family and friends. Now she won't move, so I'm off (for my own sanity!). Not an easy decision, but one that has to be made.
I think it's a good idea to come to an agreement between yourselves before you give up what you have in the UK if 'I really hate it here' happens.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Linbin has a spectacular aura aboutLinbin has a spectacular aura aboutLinbin has a spectacular aura about

hehe noooo i know you didnt! just when people say call centre, people always think of dead end etc hahaha. i know you didnt mean anything by it i just ment i have worked hard as i am a manager at my company, and we are owned by booking.com. your comment was extremely helpful and i thank you for it

i didnt mean to come across nasty if you thought i was
one option which has worked for a few people I know is to register with employment agencies and pick up some temp work in call centres in the city as these often lead to permanent job offers . A lot of jobs here are obtained with not what you know but who you know so networking is good and you have an excellent leg up with having in laws here already.
Auckland is the most expensive place in NZ to come to but if you have support there probably best option and learn to drive. we live north of Auckland and prefer it but you wont know till you get here. go for it we have been here 2 years and will never go back.
good luck
Old Nov 8th 2013, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

my wife works for the same company but in our accounts (fraud) department.
her family live in Avondale. i have no idea where this is.

I have been looking at the cost of renting in the city centre and to be honest, its kinda similar to what i pay here.
It might be but your wage won't be
Old Nov 9th 2013, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

Hey,

Ill be frank.

Compared to the UK - public transport is poor at best

Auckland is very spread out - Learn to drive quickly or get a bike or enjoy walking endless kms.

Rental properties can be expensive - we paid double what we paid in the UK - at current exchange rates.

Jobs - Don't limit yourself to a Call Centre Manager :-
My Friend considers himself to be a Tyre Fitter - He has been unemployed for over 10 years because he wont stack shelves in Tesco
Nothing is beneath you - you do what you have to do to get by.

On a lighter note:-

Learn what a "Ruck" is you'll need that knowledge here is NZ.
Bear in mind that The Crusaders has nothing to do with religion -
No one has ever heard of the Offside Rule over here.