British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   help is needed...dont know who else to ask (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-needed-dont-know-who-else-ask-813712/)

makecki Oct 30th 2013 6:02 pm

help is needed...dont know who else to ask

hey guys and girls

I'm married to a kiwi and am thinking of moving over there.... however i have a few questions and i would appreciate your input as i cant find answers to them anywhere else

first of all, we rent in the UK.... so have no house to sell to move over there, so my question is.... approx how much money would we need to set our selfs up over there in terms of rent on a place and maybe 1 months worth of living until we both have jobs. we have a place to stay in her parents but i don't want to be there for years hehe.

secondly, what is the job situation over there.... i am a manager in a call centre and it pays well in the UK..... are jobs easy to get in NZ?

we would move to Auckland, but which is the best part to move to for public transport... neither of us drive for the reason we live in the city centre in the UK and we both work in that city, so its not a problem and we have access to buses, trams and trains on our doorstep

if you can answer any of these questions then you will really be doing me a favour....

Thanks

Malecki

makecki Oct 30th 2013 6:19 pm

Re: help is needed...dont know who else to ask

25 views n no help :(
i have posted this on about 4 forums now (kinda last resort this).... its either no-one knows the answer
or i have waffled on and people cant be bothered reading....

basically my wife hates the UK and i don't know where to go for advise

Catchafire Oct 30th 2013 6:35 pm

Patience grasshopper. Everyone is waking up and getting their day setup. You will get replies soon enough.

makecki Oct 30th 2013 6:41 pm

i know :(
just at my wits end hahaha

pippalonghorn Oct 30th 2013 6:42 pm

:D Good morning. We had to pay $1,480 bond upfront and then a months rent is also $1'480. Our flat is not furnished so if you want furnished then the rent may be more. We are just outside of Auckland. If it's unfurnished you will need furniture so it depended on your taste really. Lots of second hand shops here. I would probably recommend you bring about $10,000.

Can't help with the public transport as ours is rubbish. Can't help with job either I'm afraid. :)

Spacecake799 Oct 30th 2013 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by makecki (Post 10969373)
hey guys and girls

I'm married to a kiwi and am thinking of moving over there.... however i have a few questions and i would appreciate your input as i cant find answers to them anywhere else

first of all, we rent in the UK.... so have no house to sell to move over there, so my question is.... approx how much money would we need to set our selfs up over there in terms of rent on a place and maybe 1 months worth of living until we both have jobs. we have a place to stay in her parents but i don't want to be there for years hehe.

secondly, what is the job situation over there.... i am a manager in a call centre and it pays well in the UK..... are jobs easy to get in NZ?

we would move to Auckland, but which is the best part to move to for public transport... neither of us drive for the reason we live in the city centre in the UK and we both work in that city, so its not a problem and we have access to buses, trams and trains on our doorstep

if you can answer any of these questions then you will really be doing me a favour....

Thanks

Malecki

Off the top of my head at least $10000, it soon goes.
You can live in Auckland city, its pretty boring and naf there though.
Can you do anything other than call centre work. Job situation is as bad as everywhere unless you have a particular skill. What does your partner do?
If you have good stable jobs in the UK think very carefully about why you may want to give them up,
Good Luck

makecki Oct 30th 2013 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 10969431)
Off the top of my head at least $10000, it soon goes.
You can live in Auckland city, its pretty boring and naf there though.
Can you do anything other than call centre work. Job situation is as bad as everywhere unless you have a particular skill. What does your partner do?
If you have good stable jobs in the UK think very carefully about why you may want to give them up,
Good Luck

My wife is an Aucklander.
she is getting homesick now. she has been away for about 4 years or so and misses her family friends and 'the lifestyle' (which i will ask about in a later post, therefore im looking into it. in terms of skills, no i have progressed in the called centre business im afraid, its not a skill as such but ive worked hard to get where i am.

A Rush And A Push Oct 30th 2013 7:12 pm

I live in Auckland and like it a lot but
a) it can be quite hard to get around without a car
B) central Auckland is expensive to rent/buy

Where in Auckland do your wife's family live? And what job does your wife do?

makecki Oct 30th 2013 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push (Post 10969460)
I live in Auckland and like it a lot but
a) it can be quite hard to get around without a car
B) central Auckland is expensive to rent/buy

Where in Auckland do your wife's family live? And what job does your wife do?

my wife works for the same company but in our accounts (fraud) department.
her family live in Avondale. i have no idea where this is.

I have been looking at the cost of renting in the city centre and to be honest, its kinda similar to what i pay here.

MrsFychan Oct 30th 2013 7:15 pm

you will be luckier than some with having support over here when you come.

trademe and seek will give you job adverts

trade me and open2view will give you house prices and rental costs.
don't forget you pay tax on every cent you earn here, there no NHS and cost of living is high especially in Auckland with not mcuh choice of shopping food, electrical or clothes wise

I'm not going to give you an opinion of whether you should come that's up to you, make sure you do your research but I would say a months wage is not going to be enough as all professional advice states at least 3mths so $10000 stated by Spacecake would be my suggested minimum

Spacecake799 Oct 30th 2013 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by makecki (Post 10969446)
My wife is an Aucklander.
she is getting homesick now. she has been away for about 4 years or so and misses her family friends and 'the lifestyle' (which i will ask about in a later post, therefore im looking into it. in terms of skills, no i have progressed in the called centre business im afraid, its not a skill as such but ive worked hard to get where i am.

Sorry I didn't mean it to sound like you didn't work hard. It was just an opinion on that type of job. I really don't know of any call centres but I guess there must be some. I know Noel Leeming has a call centre on the North Shore, incoming calls.
I would think your wife will find it easier to get a job in accounts.
$10000 really was just a guess. The more you have the easier it will be.
Good luck

makecki Oct 30th 2013 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10969465)
you will be luckier than some with having support over here when you come.

trademe and seek will give you job adverts

trade me and open2view will give you house prices and rental costs.
don't forget you pay tax on every cent you earn here, there no NHS and cost of living is high especially in Auckland with not mcuh choice of shopping food, electrical or clothes wise

I'm not going to give you an opinion of whether you should come that's up to you, make sure you do your research but I would say a months wage is not going to be enough as all professional advice states at least 3mths so $10000 stated by Spacecake would be my suggested minimum

my main call centre knowledge is in car rental.... so i will ask the companies that you guys have over there i.e ezi rent if they have any jobs going, or search for managerial jobs in the call centre industry....

i know its the the greatest career in the world but it pays the bills easily over here.

makecki Oct 30th 2013 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 10969525)
Sorry I didn't mean it to sound like you didn't work hard. It was just an opinion on that type of job. I really don't know of any call centres but I guess there must be some. I know Noel Leeming has a call centre on the North Shore, incoming calls.
I would think your wife will find it easier to get a job in accounts.
$10000 really was just a guess. The more you have the easier it will be.
Good luck

hehe noooo i know you didnt! just when people say call centre, people always think of dead end etc hahaha. i know you didnt mean anything by it :) i just ment i have worked hard as i am a manager at my company, and we are owned by booking.com. your comment was extremely helpful and i thank you for it :)

i didnt mean to come across nasty if you thought i was :(

A Rush And A Push Oct 30th 2013 8:35 pm

Ok, Avondale is on a train line which not many places in Auckland are, it's about 15 min train and 20 min bus from the city centre. It's about 10 km west of the city centre. It's "up and coming" if house prices are anything to go by but it's not where I would choose to live long-term.

Wherever you end up, you could struggle without a car - you may be able to get to work and back by public transport but IMO the nicest bits of Auckland - beaches, regional parks etc - are often hard to reach by public transport. Same if you want to get out of Auckland for a weekend.

There is an NHS equivalent, a public health system - you pay for drs visits and prescriptions but hospital treatments are free. I've had two kids here and had what I felt was excellent medical care, all at no cost (ok, may not be relevant to you personally, just using it as an example). Some people have private health insurance, many don't.

Catchafire Oct 30th 2013 8:37 pm

Couple of questions you maybe should think about. Because by the tone of your posts, it would appear you need answers to things in a rush.

Do YOU want to move to NZ?
Apart from being homesick, is everything sweet with your relationship?

Because I promise you, moving halfway across the world is not going to work if either answer to the above is no.