Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help Needed!!!!!!!!

Help Needed!!!!!!!!

Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:08 am
It Was Here This Morning

Want2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really nice
Default Re: Help Needed!!!!!!!!

lardyl,

well we are looking at enough land to put the usual kids junk(trampoline, pool etc) on.
The wages are poor but I am used to living here in Paignton(ave house price for a 3 bed semi) 140,000 GBP average salary 11,000:curse:
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:10 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Want2goNow
Hi Maz,

Have not got the experience in Web Design yet but it covers Java, HTML.
I will be using the Dreamweaver software.
Hopefully pass and then get on the plane.
Hiya

HTML is so simple and I've not had to code any for years now. Have run my own websites (just for personal stuff) from well before I was a database developer, and have recently used Yahoo's SiteBuilder software, which comes free from them - very much like MS FrontPage - when you get a domain from them. Then just create the pages through Drag & Drop and look at the HTML afterwards if you must, but FrontPage will do all of that for you. Really no need to learn it separately.

Any windows admin skills you can get will stand you in good stead, too.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Avid
And, unlike some countries, no restrictions on foreigners buying property.
Oh..... yes.... there are restrictions on foreigners buying property... look on a standard sale & purchase agreement .... OI required/ yes/no ... to prevent "foreigners" buying large tracts of land with overseas currencies that would price locals out of the market!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:22 am
It Was Here This Morning

Want2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really niceWant2goNow is just really nice

Dear cottageinthesky,

Cheers for that but what is an OI
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Dear cottageinthesky,

Cheers for that but what is an OI
Overseas Interest .... those that don't have NZ citizenship.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:27 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Oh..... yes.... there are restrictions on foreigners buying property... look on a standard sale & purchase agreement .... OI required/ yes/no ... to prevent "foreigners" buying large tracts of land with overseas currencies that would price locals out of the market!
Fair enough, but I meant 'property' in the sense of buying a house....

Then again....if you had enough money to buy vast tracts of the country then surely you'd have enough money to..ahem...grease the right palms?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:28 am
It Was Here This Morning

Clears that up slightly.

Wishful thinking if we were granted PR could we buy anything.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:31 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

lardyl,

well we are looking at enough land to put the usual kids junk(trampoline, pool etc) on.
The wages are poor but I am used to living here in Paignton(ave house price for a 3 bed semi) 140,000 GBP average salary 11,000:curse:
yep .... you might find the part of the Hi-Biscus Coast we are on (30km N of Auckland) a bit too close to home - Orewa really is "roads on the sandy" (or whatever the "Labelled With Love" lyric is..........apologies to any Squeeze fans) - a seaside town full of wrinklies !!!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:34 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Clears that up slightly.

your benefits and rights are better with PR - you can buy property but I think (as I mmmmm'ed over earlier) there is a restriction on getting land over a certain acre-age.
When I said 5-15 times multiplier I was not talking about average wages, they are even more pitiful than those of us skilled migrants....believe me there are some really sink-estate like areas in NZ as well - visited a couple of them in the last fortnight for work!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Fair enough, but I meant 'property' in the sense of buying a house....

Then again....if you had enough money to buy vast tracts of the country then surely you'd have enough money to..ahem...grease the right palms?
Sorry for being pedantic ... the likes of you and I would never have a problem .... it's the Shania Twain's of the world - hope that's how you spell her name ... that the OI is protecting the kiwis of this wonderful world ... but don't think that 'greasing palms' works here - far too transparent - probably because of all the expats protecting their 'patch'
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:35 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Clears that up slightly.

Could someone please clear up... if someone gets PR, they are treated like a citizen with regards to home and land ownership?... ta.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:44 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
but don't think that 'greasing palms' works here - far too transparent - probably because of all the expats protecting their 'patch'
Really? I've not been here long but I was guessing that the only way a lot of people could make ends meet was by keeping to a 'cash based economy'.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:44 am
It Was Here This Morning

So in other words you could not move over and just buy for arguments sake a 4 bed detached in Wellington and live like a King(well still have to go out and work etc).
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:47 am
you dewty owld maan!

Really? I've not been here long but I was guessing that the only way a lot of people could make ends meet was by keeping to a 'cash based economy'.
oh yes and the Kiwi favourite of "finders keepers" that seems to apply in certain rural quarters of Rodney District (allegedly.......)
Old Apr 21st 2007, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maz
Could someone please clear up... if someone gets PR, they are treated like a citizen with regards to home and land ownership?... ta.
Sort of... if you have permanent residency you can buy and sell property - if you are not a citizen and want to buy and sell land over a certain value - we're talking zillions $, you would have to get government approval - so, for the 99.9% of us, no problem.

I opted to become a NZ citizen because I felt it showed a commitment to the country - others do so because it confers reciprocal benefits with OZ - unlike some countries, the UK is happy for us to hold dual citizenship - so... nothing to lose in becoming a NZ citizen - in the meantime, if you are a very, very bad bunny... even if you have PR, you can be deported. If you are a citizen.... tough @#$% !!

In the words of someone .... "go for it!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.