British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Help Needed!!!!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-needed-443807/)

Want2goNow Apr 21st 2007 6:32 am

Help Needed!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,

My family and I are totally focused on moving to NZ, but we have read so many books on different ways on getting in.
To make things a bit easier here is where we stand @ the moment.

1: I start a night school studying website design(are web designers needed in NZ).

2:We will have quite a bit of money saved by the time my course finishes(3 months).

3:I have seen on various websites that you can only buy a certain size of house for the first 2 years.:confused:

4:Are there any deadly snakes or spiders in NZ.::eek:

Thanks in advance.

Paul:thumbsup:

Avid Apr 21st 2007 7:11 am

Re: Help Needed!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Want2goNow (Post 4676014)

No snakes (or scorpions) in New Zealand but 2 or 3 spiders that are technically poisonous (only one of them is definitely poisonous...I think) though nobody actually ever seems to die from the poison.

If you are really scared of spiders then there is the chance of dieing from fright, as they do have some big ones over here.......but if, like me, you refuse to leave your apartment in the city centre then you shouldn't see any....

Maz Apr 21st 2007 7:13 am

Hi everyone,

My family and I are totally focused on moving to NZ, but we have read so many books on different ways on getting in.

1: I start a night school studying website design(are web designers needed in NZ).

I'm in IT. IT is on the absolute and long-term skills shortages list. I got a ton of points for having 8+ years' experience when I submitted our Expression of Interest last month. Make sure you are proficient in Java and .NET is an up-and-coming skill, too. ;)

2:We will have quite a bit of money saved by the time my course finishes(3 months).

Good on ya! Moving country / continent is never cheap.

3:I have seen on various websites that you can only buy a certain size of house for the first 2 years.:confused:

Never heard that myself, but the expats here could tell you more, esp cottageinthesky.

Thanks in advance.

There are NO snakes in NZ woo hoo! Can't remember about poisonous spiders, though. I think they're fairly innocuous, but someone else will know for sure.

Best of luck to you and yours!

Avid Apr 21st 2007 7:18 am

I hope it's a lot because, as others will tell you, this country is a money pit:cry_smile:

Want2goNow Apr 21st 2007 7:36 am

Hi Maz,

Have not got the experience in Web Design yet but it covers Java, HTML.
I will be using the Dreamweaver software.
Hopefully pass and then get on the plane.

Want2goNow Apr 21st 2007 7:38 am

Hi Avid,

Thanks for the reply,what about property in Auckland (4 Beds) bit of land.

Megabucks or on par with the UK.

phil01 Apr 21st 2007 7:38 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Haven't seen any big spiders and the poisonous one is quite small and not deadly like a bee sting but very rarely seen as they live in dead wood.

No restrictions on buying houses or the size of house, if you have the money you can get whatever you want.

phil01 Apr 21st 2007 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Want2goNow (Post 4676169)
Hi Avid,

Property prices check out www.realenz.co.nz

Want2goNow Apr 21st 2007 7:46 am

Hi phil01,

Have checked out that site, blown away by the different styles of houses and also how cheap they are compared to this rip off country:curse:

Avid Apr 21st 2007 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Want2goNow (Post 4676169)
Hi Avid,

I can only speak for Wellington....buying a house can be a lot cheaper than the UK but the houses seem to only come in two types. Glass and concrete apartments that are actually quite expensive or....sheds. Sheds without heating.....

But it's all local and charming except for the fact that the mortgage rate is a lot higher than the UK.

It's the general cost of living plus the low wages that makes it a money pit for many people. But, as always, it's easy to generalise.

lardyl Apr 21st 2007 7:52 am

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 4676173)
Haven't seen any big spiders and the poisonous one is quite small and not deadly like a bee sting but very rarely seen as they live in dead wood.

No restrictions on buying houses or the size of house, if you have the money you can get whatever you want.

the poor old Whitetail (from Oz) has a reputation for causing nasty reactions to the venomous bite - some say this is totally overblown (inc a doctor the missus saw with a nasty bite) but other people I know have witnessed rather nasty swellings around spider bites attributed to the whitetail. I've caught one of the critters myself in our last rental but never been bit.
There is an indigenous spider that lives near the sea and is pretty darn rare - almost dying out - but how nasty those bites are I do not know.
Whitetails are a bit like UK hunting spiders you get in some houses in that they make no webs and live on other spiders. They come into the house when the weather gets less favourable (ie colder) and like to hide away in your clothes if you leave them on the floor, best to be a tidy neurotic dude if you want to avoid them and suspect some are around........;)

Avid Apr 21st 2007 7:54 am

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 4676173)

And, unlike some countries, no restrictions on foreigners buying property.

lardyl Apr 21st 2007 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 4676210)
I can only speak for Wellington....buying a house can be a lot cheaper than the UK but the houses seem to only come in two types. Glass and concrete apartments that are actually quite expensive or....sheds. Sheds without heating.....

But it's all local and charming except for the fact that the mortgage rate is a lot higher than the UK.

It's the general cost of living plus the low wages that makes it a money pit for many people. But, as always, it's easy to generalise.

Indeed, and in Auckland you should expect to pay something like 5 to 15 times your annual gross salary for a decent place. If you want 4 beds somewhere nice with land (lifestyle living) this could easily set you back over $1m......
It ain't cheap in these parts, especially as you will be paid peanuts - dont presume you'll earn the same number of dollars as you got pounds either - we both do but only just!!!

lardyl Apr 21st 2007 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 4676225)
And, unlike some countries, no restrictions on foreigners buying property.

mmmm.....but how about land???

lardyl Apr 21st 2007 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Want2goNow (Post 4676198)
Hi phil01,

Have checked out that site, blown away by the different styles of houses and also how cheap they are compared to this rip off country:curse:

maybe some are cheap but some should be compared with mobile homes, as that's essentially what they are.................
others are damn fine buildings in very nice areas................
BTW, the real estate agent here is "king" and that can't be a good thing!!!! :p