Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

help - need to compare uk and nz education system

help - need to compare uk and nz education system

Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:11 pm
bts016

bts016 will become famous soon enoughbts016 will become famous soon enough
Default help - need to compare uk and nz education system

My ex husband, though he has signed a consent order allowing me to take the children to NZ, is now threatening to take me to court unless I 'furnish him with the necessary data on the NZ education system ie: compare year 6 and 7 curriculum in the UK with the equivalent in NZ'. I have sent him links to various sites on the NZ system which say that x equates to UK GCSE, y equates to Uk A level etc but thats not what he wants. He wants to see a comparison of curriculum. any ideas where I get this info, he refuses to look for it himself, and at this stage I dont need a costly court case. Gosh I typed all that without one swear word in it!! amazing.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:13 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help - need to compare uk and nz education system

Originally Posted by bts016
My ex husband, though he has signed a consent order allowing me to take the children to NZ, is now threatening to take me to court unless I 'furnish him with the necessary data on the NZ education system ie: compare year 6 and 7 curriculum in the UK with the equivalent in NZ'. I have sent him links to various sites on the NZ system which say that x equates to UK GCSE, y equates to Uk A level etc but thats not what he wants. He wants to see a comparison of curriculum. any ideas where I get this info, he refuses to look for it himself, and at this stage I dont need a costly court case. Gosh I typed all that without one swear word in it!! amazing.
Try HERE

Dunno if it as what your looking for but it the only education link I have
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:16 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Try HERE

Dunno if it as what your looking for but it the only education link I have

Or www.education.govt.nz.

Jack Daws suggestion is quite good for giving you particular names of schools and then google them for curriculum details
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:17 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Or www.education.govt.nz.

Jack Daws suggestion is quite good for giving you particular names of schools and then google them for curriculum details
Hey Im nicking that link

Cheers
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:19 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Hey Im nicking that link

Cheers

You're welcome but it will cost you a malibu and coke!!!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
You're welcome but it will cost you a malibu and coke!!!
Fair one
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you should be going to see a good family law solicitor.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 12:10 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Maybe you should be going to see a good family law solicitor.
Wave him "bye-bye" what a [email protected]*kwit!! Give him nothing - let him pay!!
Old Oct 27th 2006, 7:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Wave him "bye-bye" what a [email protected]*kwit!! Give him nothing - let him pay!!
You scare me :scared:

Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:41 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

It will depend a little on what area you move to. Unless you have a good source of dosh you will have no choice about which school to send your kids to (in fact in the case of Auckland grammar even your money is no guarantee). You will be zoned and whatever school is in your zone is the school your kids go to, like it or lump it. Schools are rated by a decile number (1 is low, 10 is high). It is a sad fact that, although the decile number is calculated according to a set of socioeconomic factors and should not therefore be fully representative of the quality of the education, the low decile schools are not up to much. The advantage they have over the higher decile schools is that the government pumps more money into them to try to raise their decile number. And if the Government is throwing money at the school you would hope the school is spending it on better resources and other improvements.

The five factors that make up the decile are:

Household income - percentage of households with income in the lowest 20% nationally.
Occupation - percentage of employed parents in the lowest skilled occupational groups.
Household crowding - number of people in the household divided by the number of bedrooms.
Educational qualifications - percentage of parents with no tertiary or school qualifications.
Income support - percentage of parents who received a benefit in the previous year.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 12:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mazi
It will depend a little on what area you move to. Unless you have a good source of dosh you will have no choice about which school to send your kids to (in fact in the case of Auckland grammar even your money is no guarantee). You will be zoned and whatever school is in your zone is the school your kids go to, like it or lump it. Schools are rated by a decile number (1 is low, 10 is high). It is a sad fact that, although the decile number is calculated according to a set of socioeconomic factors and should not therefore be fully representative of the quality of the education, the low decile schools are not up to much. The advantage they have over the higher decile schools is that the government pumps more money into them to try to raise their decile number. And if the Government is throwing money at the school you would hope the school is spending it on better resources and other improvements.

The five factors that make up the decile are:

Household income - percentage of households with income in the lowest 20% nationally.
Occupation - percentage of employed parents in the lowest skilled occupational groups.
Household crowding - number of people in the household divided by the number of bedrooms.
Educational qualifications - percentage of parents with no tertiary or school qualifications.
Income support - percentage of parents who received a benefit in the previous year.
Ah, ah so thats what it means. Cheers
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:39 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I can't answer your question, although one (obvious I appreciate) thing to bear in mind is that whilst the broad subject curriculum will most likely be very similar (ie both countries offering History for example), the information learnt will be different.

For example, UK history has a slant towards, you guessed it, British Kings & Queens, the Magna Carta, European countries etc, whereas in New Zealand there will a slant towards NZ Heritage (Maoris), Treaty of Waitangi, US data etc. I have a kiwi husband (he is very intelligent and has fab general knowledge fyi) so know there are such differences.

I just hope your ex-husband's intentions are honourable (does this sound legitimate to you that he has this level of interest in their education? Has he asked such questions about their UK curriculum of you or their current school?) and that this isn't his way of killing your dream. Good luck.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 3:04 am
Banned

Budowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Sorry I can't answer your question, although one (obvious I appreciate) thing to bear in mind is that whilst the broad subject curriculum will most likely be very similar (ie both countries offering History for example), the information learnt will be different.

For example, UK history has a slant towards, you guessed it, British Kings & Queens, the Magna Carta, European countries etc, whereas in New Zealand there will a slant towards NZ Heritage (Maoris), Treaty of Waitangi, US data etc. I have a kiwi husband (he is very intelligent and has fab general knowledge fyi) so know there are such differences.

I just hope your ex-husband's intentions are honourable (does this sound legitimate to you that he has this level of interest in their education? Has he asked such questions about their UK curriculum of you or their current school?) and that this isn't his way of killing your dream. Good luck.

feel sorry for the guy, NZ is a long way to go to see yer kids...
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:03 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budowsky
feel sorry for the guy, NZ is a long way to go to see yer kids...
Yep, totally agree. Very sad. Although of course that is assuming he currently sees them, which perhaps he doesn't. Just never know the personal stuff.