Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help with my emigration tick list!

Help with my emigration tick list!

Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with my emigration tick list!

Originally Posted by BEVS
It's here but don't ask me for more. I've yet to figure it out.
Cool will give it a bash tonight
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:45 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here if not already

http://www.broadbaseimmigration.co.u...checklist.html

Dewb
Old Mar 8th 2010, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Dewb09;8403774]Have a look here if not already

hey thats a great find Dewb. seems really useful!
we've saved that to favourites!
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewb09
Have a look here if not already

Dewb
Saves me a job doing a wiki entry then
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by alanmacc
Saves me a job doing a wiki entry then

NNNoooooo.

We need all the wiki entries we can get. Saves posters having to trawl through the internet.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jewelie38
Hi Flowerpot,
Good luck on your big move....looks like you have everything covered. We will be following you shortly but still have the house to sell before we can arrange dates to leave, plus we have three children to organise as well....think i'll have gone mad by this time....lol
Not sure if you haven't already thought of this but ASB (Auckland savings bank) have a branch in London where you can put in funds and transfer free of charge over a certain amount (I think it's £30,000). I think that's what we will use for our money transfers, plus if you want to you can leave it till the rate gets to a reasonable one before it transfers.
Are you packing your own container or having a company pack it for you?
The cheapest quote we have had is for a 20 yard container that we pack ourselves for £1700. You get three hours to load it and any hour that goes over you are charged £35. Luckily my hubby is so well organised that it will be a military operation...hehe xx
Anyways, good luck.....i'm really excited for you.
Hi there... hope u dont mind me asking where is the quote from??
Berni
xxx
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Jewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant future

Hi, the company was eliteshipping.co.uk and the quote was for a 20yard container for £1695 and did not include marine insurance. It was a couple of months ago now so you may want to get a new quote if you decide to use them. x
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi, the company was eliteshipping.co.uk and the quote was for a 20yard container for £1695 and did not include marine insurance. It was a couple of months ago now so you may want to get a new quote if you decide to use them. x
How will it be insured.? Or should I say, with whom?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:28 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Letton Percival for separate marine insurance - way cheaper than using your removal company policy usually.

And don't forget a hire car this end for when you arrive ... I did.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:48 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all - sorry for my delayed reply to all your wonderful posts... I feel as though I haven't had a min to sit down let alone get on the net!

Your posts were EXTREMELY helpful, and the link (thanks Dewb), I have added all the extras to my ever expanding list! Little things like adaptors and notebooks with a/c numbers had slipped my mind and would probably have never entered them!

Got my list now though so its just a matter of ticking things off... if only it were that easy!

Thanks again peeps and if anyone thinks of any other lil things please pass them on...

Oh and by the way...

This time in 13 weeks we'll be flight-bound to LA - whoooooooooooooooooooooop!!!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Before resigning ask if redundancy is a possibilty.....
Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of

I looked into this, as it was so much cheaper - but I wimped out. They give you 3 hours at either end to pack/unpack which was no problem in the UK but was going to be tough in NZ, and they charge overtime for over three hours.

Also you have do do all your own paperwork for customs etc. & that worried me too.

If you are a biggish family and have the physical muscle to do the unpacking, and someone who can concentrate on paperwork no matter what is going on around them, then it would be a great way of saving money.

I paid £3,300 so it was almost twice as much, but on reflection i think it was the best thing for me. ( widowed mother- one teenager still at home) . They sent a lorry with a load of packing stuff. Three men spent the first day packing and four men packed for half of the second day, and then loaded it all by 2pm. They will also be unpacking a lot of it at the other end, which will be a great help.

When I saw how much packing material they got through and thought about how many 'man hours' it took, (they pack REALLY fast!) I was glad that i went that way. I think it was the best option in my situation.

I used letton percival for insurance, it was cheaper than the insurance through the carrier.