Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help with my emigration tick list!

Help with my emigration tick list!

Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:25 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with my emigration tick list!

Hey all - trying to make sure I have thought of everything I need to do/sort before we leave for Auckland on 17th June...

Sooo, this is my list so far:
  1. Sold house! (in mother-in-laws)
  2. Booked flights!
  3. Sort travel insurance
  4. Book hotels for LA and Vegas
  5. Book car hire
  6. Removals quote (going to accept John Mason quote next week)
  7. Shipping of cat quote (still deciding which to use)
  8. Obtain doc/dental records
  9. Handed in notice finish work 4th June
  10. Sorted belongings - have ebay/charity/taking with us piles
  11. Sell ebay belongings!
  12. Sort paperwork
  13. Open NZ bank a/c
  14. Ring direct debit companies and inform of leaving date
  15. Cancel direct debits!
This is where we are up to now, have I missed any vital things I need to do? I have heard people talking of an IRD number? I have no clue what this is

Very excited but also a wee bit stressed trying to make sure we have everything sorted!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Flower Pot; Mar 7th 2010 at 1:34 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:13 pm
RIP Jackson - 10/07/12

azakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really niceazakeen1980 is just really nice
Default Re: Help with my emigration tick list!

As far as i am aware IRD is related to your tax. Like inland revenue. I think you have to register once you are in NZ. I am sure somone else can correct me if im wrong but hope this helps a little.

Aaron & Lins
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Jewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant future

Hi Flowerpot,
Good luck on your big move....looks like you have everything covered. We will be following you shortly but still have the house to sell before we can arrange dates to leave, plus we have three children to organise as well....think i'll have gone mad by this time....lol
Not sure if you haven't already thought of this but ASB (Auckland savings bank) have a branch in London where you can put in funds and transfer free of charge over a certain amount (I think it's £30,000). I think that's what we will use for our money transfers, plus if you want to you can leave it till the rate gets to a reasonable one before it transfers.
Are you packing your own container or having a company pack it for you?
The cheapest quote we have had is for a 20 yard container that we pack ourselves for £1700. You get three hours to load it and any hour that goes over you are charged £35. Luckily my hubby is so well organised that it will be a military operation...hehe xx
Anyways, good luck.....i'm really excited for you.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:41 pm
Banned

Craftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant future

Hi Flower pot

This is the web site address for the NZ IRD:

http://www.ird.govt.nz/how-to/irdnumbers/

You will find all the information you require for registering with the Tax Department here. Application can be made when you arrive or start work, your new employer should be able to help you there. You will need a few documents to support the application, it's all listed on this web page. Hope this helps?

You can always email the IRD if there is still any doubt, they aren't that scary!! Anyway have a look at the form it's on line....

Cheers
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:47 pm
Banned

Craftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant future

BTW it is The Inland revenue Department (IRD) Kiwi's have a habit of shortening most long words
Old Mar 7th 2010, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Get copies of your vehicle no claims bonus, if you have any

collect some documentation to prove your last UK address (might be needed for credit rent etc)

start a note book: one page per big task

make sure cat has proof of microchip number and that your vet can do all the required tests within the time period

try to get out of your mobile phone contract and go onto pay as you go: we had terrible difficulty and we are BOTH still paying UK bills

I took a filing system type suitcase as hand luggage: all our lives were in there but it made sense to have it with us throughout the journey.

Enjoy
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:44 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

If either of you will be working in the UK in the tax year 2010/2011 then you will probably be due a tax refund so make sure you do that - every little helps! You need to fill out a form and send it back to the IR with your P45, all very simple. You can do it before you leave, once you have stopped work of course.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:51 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jewelie38
The cheapest quote we have had is for a 20 yard container that we pack ourselves for £1700.
Do you mind sharing who that is with? (Guess it will be a 20ft container though )
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:08 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

• I think you forgot about post forwarding - maybe you have already done this to your Mums house from your old house.
  • Don't forget to take copies of all your paperwork and put them somewhere seperate from the orginals.
  • Get references from your previous employer (Kiwi's are very big into referees)
  • Get some Kiwi Dollars - enough for a few days as it will take the Kiwi Bank that long to get your cards (I don't think they'll send them to the UK...could be wrong)
  • Buy a few multiway adaptors (easier to change one plug than 4) and buy some travel adaptors
  • Think about housing when you arrive in NZ. If you are going to rent then think about where the cat will stay. A lot of rentals certainly short term ones wont accept pets, so you may have to arrange a cattery till you get sorted

• Removals insurance - probably with your moving quote
  • Fill in the P85 - leaving the UK Tax form
  • I think someone else mentioned it but I had a notebook with ALL the contact numbers, names, addresses, account numbers, password (written in code)
  • Take photos of your stuff before packing (eaiser to prove damage or loss)

Last edited by Wooly_Cow; Mar 7th 2010 at 8:15 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Hey all - trying to make sure I have thought of everything I need to do/sort before we leave for Auckland on 17th June...

2. Booked flights!
  3. Sort travel insurance
  5. Book car hire
  12. Sort paperwork
  13. Open NZ bank a/c
This is where we are up to now, have I missed any vital things I need to do? I have heard people talking of an IRD number? I have no clue what this is

Very excited but also a wee bit stressed trying to make sure we have everything sorted!

Thanks in advance

On a side note, we used John Mason and their service was excellent.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

You've forgotten... Bring presents for friends
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flower Pot

2. Booked flights!
  3. Sort travel insurance
  5. Book car hire
  12. Sort paperwork
  13. Open NZ bank a/c

Thanks in advance
Sort out council tax, gas and electricity cut off dates. we got chased after 2 years for gas, electricity and council tax coz they got their records mixed up

Inform child benefit (if you have kids)
Old Mar 8th 2010, 12:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Great list for the BE wiki..... anyone?
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Great list for the BE wiki..... anyone?
id do it if i knew what the wiki list was
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by alanmacc
id do it if i knew what the wiki list was
It's here but don't ask me for more. I've yet to figure it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.