British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Help with Moving Teens (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-moving-teens-670714/)

stemarpet May 20th 2010 9:45 pm

Help with Moving Teens

Hi, wonder if anyone can help me with this one. We have a 13 year old son who is not sure about the move to New Zealand. Obviously we would like to reassure him. Anybody got any ideas?. Are there any sites that my son could visit to chat with others of his own age in this position. Be very grateful. Many thanks :fingerscrossed:

Dewb09 May 22nd 2010 9:37 pm

Re: UK to NZ JUly 2010

Originally Posted by stemarpet (Post 8579483)
Hi, wonder if anyone can help me with this one. We have a 13 year old son who is not sure about the move to New Zealand. Obviously we would like to reassure him. Anybody got any ideas?. Are there any sites that my son could visit to chat with others of his own age in this position. Be very grateful. Many thanks :fingerscrossed:

Think you may need to move this to the main forum or immy ? might get more of a response there. Try asking one of the mods to waive their magic fairy wands to move it for you.

Not sure if they can only move threads and not post replies though :unsure:

Good luck
Dewb

Jewelie38 May 26th 2010 9:38 am

Originally Posted by stemarpet (Post 8579483)

Hi, if it's any help we are also emigrating to North Auckland in September time with our 14 yr old daughter, 11 yr old son and 2yr old daughter. Our main worry is with our eldest daughter who is not liking the idea of us going now. I have approached the school in the area that we are hoping to settle in and prepared them that we would like to get the children settled into school asap so that new friendships can help build their confidence. I'm sure as soon as things begin to settle in NZ with u and ur son starts his new school that he will probably settle even more quickly than yourself.
Where abouts in Auckland are u moving to? :D
Julie x

Chrisbower May 26th 2010 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Jewelie38 (Post 8590768)
Hi, if it's any help we are also emigrating to North Auckland in September time with our 14 yr old daughter, 11 yr old son and 2yr old daughter. Our main worry is with our eldest daughter who is not liking the idea of us going now. I have approached the school in the area that we are hoping to settle in and prepared them that we would like to get the children settled into school asap so that new friendships can help build their confidence. I'm sure as soon as things begin to settle in NZ with u and ur son starts his new school that he will probably settle even more quickly than yourself.
Where abouts in Auckland are u moving to? :D
Julie x

I dont mean to sound rude but can a moderator move this conversation to another thread somewhere as its starting to go off topic to why the thread was started?

Am Loolah Jun 2nd 2010 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Chrisbower (Post 8590845)
I dont mean to sound rude but can a moderator move this conversation to another thread somewhere as its starting to go off topic to why the thread was started?

Moved to your own thread now peeps!:thumbup:

Foxesecho Jun 2nd 2010 11:27 am

Re: Help with Moving Teens

Hi Jewlie

Where about you moving to?

rason Jun 3rd 2010 2:00 pm

I think it probably depends what your Sons into now. But seeing all the kids round here they are all little surfer dudes, skateboarding, surfing, sailing etc if hes out doorsey it would be great and if he isnt probably soon will be and loving it.

I havent got Kids yet but there is no way im bringing kids up in the UK now ive seen this, I think its the best move you could make for your children

Jewelie38 Jun 3rd 2010 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Foxesecho (Post 8605819)
Hi Jewlie

Where about you moving to?

We are moving hopefully to the Whangaporoa area. :thumbsup:

Ulster Jun 7th 2010 7:31 am

I moved when i was 16. I loved every minute of it. Moving from Belfast, Northern Ireland it was obviosuly going to be a culture shock and moving on from friends.

Havent thought about going back at all in the last two years, now 18. You should tell them of the endless opportunities you will get here.

- Easy to get into university.. NCEA Level 3 was a joke but now i am in University and doing a good degree.

- Lifestyle is the business. Surfing in Lyall Bay, kite boarding, cycling the bays.

- Driving age is low, might be a bonus? Driving a motorbike at 16, my mates in NI were jealous.

- Job Opportunities - There are an awful lot more opportunities here, more so than the UK. Your dollarz don't go as far but then again UK is going through a rough patch.

My sister was 15, she has regrets but going straight into school is the way forward so you instantly make friends. Also your sons accent will be a hit with the boys. Everyone loves a northern irish accent :) I think thats the only thing ive got going for me but the lasses love it ;)