British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Help moving to NZ!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-moving-nz-421779/)

mistran Jan 26th 2007 8:36 pm

Help moving to NZ!!

:confused: :blink: :D
I'm moving over to Auckland in October with my family, got loads to organise looking for help in choosing:
  • Removals firm
  • Money changer
  • A place to rent - On the North Shore
  • NZ Finacial advisor (independent)
  • A place where i can buy some good sofas at a reasonable price

We've reasearched most of the usual players in the removals and money changing game ie PSS, White & Company, Allied Pickford, Moneycorp, Halo, HIFX. They're all pretty much the same in their respective fields but would like to hear from peoples experiences and opinions before handing over any cash.

karonious Jan 26th 2007 8:45 pm

Re: Help moving to NZ!!

Originally Posted by mistran (Post 4329811)
I'm moving over to Auckland in October with my family, got loads to organise looking for help in choosing:
  • Removals firm
  • Money changer

We've reasearched most of the usual players in the removals and money changing game ie PSS, White & Company, Allied Pickford, Moneycorp, Halo, HIFX. They're all pretty much the same in their respective fields but would like to hear from peoples experiences and opinions before handing over any cash.

Hi there and welcome!
check the really useful thread - lot about removals on there.
Sofas - Big Save, Harvey Norman should have a reasonable range.

poppets Jan 26th 2007 8:59 pm

• Removals firm
  • Money changer

we used crown for removals, would highly recommend, Hifix for transferring money, also very good & helpful. our mortgage advisior was from Mike pero http://www.mikepero.co.nz/
we haven't brought any sofas but we have got a lovely guest bed from harvey norman who were very helpful also

donnaf Jan 26th 2007 9:18 pm

The only piece of info I can give is that we were using monycorp and 2 days before we left they informed us that as we had been moving around so much (our house sold, we moved into rented accomodation which then was sold, so we moved into Dan's mums) they wouldn't help us - this was after nearly 4 months of initially contacting thm. HFIX sorted everything out in a few days and were more than helpful.
You will find loads of people will give you great advice - good luck

mistran Jan 26th 2007 9:24 pm

Great feedback, just the sort of stuff i'm looking for. Sounds like this Harvey Norman is the placeto go for furniture.

Littletoe Jan 27th 2007 7:44 am

• Removals firm
  • Money changer

My husband's a financial advisor, you can PM me and I'm sure he'll be able to help. Currently he's independent but works with offshore funds, when we get to NZ next month he'll probably work through a bank or financial services company, but I'm sure he can give you some sound advice or point you in the right direction.

Have you tried realnz.co.nz? We used to live in Torbay on the North Shore, I loved it. There is also harcourts as a letting agency. I think agencies are better as opposed to private rentals.