Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

help me out? clarification? where to start ?

help me out? clarification? where to start ?

Old Apr 15th 2006, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default help me out? clarification? where to start ?

i did the points test for NZ with my dads details, and providing he gets a job offer, he´ll have 140 points, enought to submit a EOI, right? does that cover my mum as well?

as i am over 18 and no longer a dependant, i would have to apply on my own, correct?

can i apply for a working holiday of two years, and change it when i am there if i get a good job?

can you take pets, we have dogs and cats?

where is the banned items list i cant find it.

electrical goods - whats the voltage in NZ ?

where can i find out more information about the different parts of NZ, we are favouring the south island at the moment, due to what we see on tv, house prices etc.

is there a ferry between north and south islan, and would any items bought in north island be able to be exported to south island without problems ?? a car for example?)

i have a million questions.. i´m sorry to ask so many at once,,, there are more to ask as well
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help me out? clarification? where to start ?

Hey - fear not about all the questions - people here are always happy to help where they can - so here's my help:

i did the points test for NZ with my dads details, and providing he gets a job offer, he´ll have 140 points, enought to submit a EOI, right? does that cover my mum as well? your dad would be principal applicant and then includes your mum as a partner and can get some points for her based on her english ability and any relevant qualifications

as i am over 18 and no longer a dependant, i would have to apply on my own, correct? a child is a valid dependant as long as they are under 21 and can show that they are significantly financially reliant on the parents - so unless you have a job and live on your own, you could go under your dad's application - otherwise you will have to apply seperately

can i apply for a working holiday of two years, and change it when i am there if i get a good job? i believe so

can you take pets, we have dogs and cats? yes - can get a bit expensive though - search on here for previous threads on pet transport, theres plenty of them

where is the banned items list i cant find it. I'm sure its on the NZIS site - or search for the MAF site and it's there - will post the link if i can find it

electrical goods - whats the voltage in NZ ? all UK electrical equipment will work over here - just bring adapters (cheaper in UK) - apart from TV's cos the transmission frequencies are different

where can i find out more information about the different parts of NZ, we are favouring the south island at the moment, due to what we see on tv, house prices etc. we're in christchurch and loving it - but thats detail for another post

is there a ferry between north and south islan, and would any items bought in north island be able to be exported to south island without problems ?? a car for example?) yes there is a ferry so moving things between the two islands is no problem

Last edited by Joshlin; Apr 15th 2006 at 8:58 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joshlin
your dad would be principal applicant and then includes your mum as a partner and can get some points for her based on her english ability and any relevant qualificationsyea, she was included on my dads... hmmmm

a child is a valid dependant as long as they are under 21 and can show that they are significantly financially reliant on the parents - so unless you have a job and live on your own, you could go under your dad's application - otherwise you will have to apply seperatelyi´m 24 so would have to apply seperatly i think? isn´t there a special scheme of 18-30 year olds?

i believe soahhh good that might well be my way in then.

yes - can get a bit expensive though - search on here for previous threads on pet transport, theres plenty of them2000 for a dog?? christ we´ve got 2 dogs (we´d bring 1), and we´ve got 7 cats !!! at 2000 a pop i think they wont be coming!!!!

I'm sure its on the NZIS site - or search for the MAF site and it's there - will post the link if i can find itnzis site? whats that ? immigration service?

all UK electrical equipment will work over here - just bring adapters (cheaper in UK) - apart from TV's cos the transmission frequencies are differentohhh good good so dvd/tv/pc/fridge etc will all work. what plugs do you have over there (stupid question, but if we do come i can do all that before i get there and save time )

we're in christchurch and loving it - but thats detail for another postok.. i´ll start another thread about that then !

yes there is a ferry so moving things between the two islands is no problem
ahhh.. thats ok then

all in all a good set of questions, thanks for the rapid response joshlin!!!

is it a good idea to bring all the house contents from europe to NZ ? or is it easier to bring personal items and then buy new over there ?

would we have to re- take our driving tests?

me being 24, would i be able to drive? i think i saw somewhere that you can get your licence at 15?

i got a insurance quote (for mum on a NZ$3500 car) from a link from trade me, and it was NZ$ 101 a year! does that sound right? thats very cheap!

is there a "step by step" guide to moving to NZ anywhere? ..is this right?

1. take test. 2. if 100+, submit EOI form. 3. if EOI accepted, submit emigration application (whats that called?). 4.if sucessful, sell house and book flights. is it that easy ? i´ve been reading back thru the threads here.. does anyone ever get turned down ? it seems that the process is really quick??? theres been threads on here stating a week turnaround EOI to aeroplanes!???

thanks again so many questions.. hehehee!!!
Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
ahhh.. thats ok then

all in all a good set of questions, thanks for the rapid response joshlin!!!

is it a good idea to bring all the house contents from europe to NZ ? or is it easier to bring personal items and then buy new over there ?

me being 24, would i be able to drive? i think i saw somewhere that you can get your licence at 15?

i got a insurance quote (for mum on a NZ$3500 car) from a link from trade me, and it was NZ$ 101 a year! does that sound right? thats very cheap!

is there a "step by step" guide to moving to NZ anywhere? ..is this right?

1. take test. 2. if 100+, submit EOI form. 3. if EOI accepted, submit emigration application (whats that called?). 4.if sucessful, sell house and book flights. is it that easy ? i´ve been reading back thru the threads here.. does anyone ever get turned down ? it seems that the process is really quick??? theres been threads on here stating a week turnaround EOI to aeroplanes!???

thanks again so many questions.. hehehee!!!

Hi

Living and Working In New Zealand is a good guide that we have bought, it has practical advice about being in NZ but not much about emmigration process. The best place for that info is online.

We Expressed our interest back in March with 140+ points we were selected at the next panel (they sit every 2 weeks) it then took about 4 weeks for them to formerly invite us to apply.

During that time we both got ourselves jobs, this significantly speeds up the ITA process when you return it.

You have to submit medicals with ITA. All the panel doctors appointments were about 2 weeks, so we went for first one we could (last Tuesday) it will take between 10-days and 2 weeks to receive medicals back.

Also during this you should send for police certificate because thye can take up to 40 days to be returned to you.

You have 4 months within which to return your ITA with all evidence in cluded in it. Without a job offer, the visa decision will be up to 4 months (According to London office statistics) with a job off this is speeded up.

We will be returning our ITA pack as soon as medical reports are back, so we will see how long a decision takes.

Hope this is helpful, others may have different experiences.

Nick and Charlie
Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
ahhh.. thats ok then

I would suggest you bring as much as you can when you ship your belongings over - it won't add that much to your shipping cost (around 2000-4000 depending on quantity) and replacements will cost quite a lot without the same amount of choice as you're used to. Most rental accomodation is unfurnished so you will need to find somewhere furnished for the first 6-8 weeks until your container arrives.

I wouldn't bring a car though as you can get a second hand one pretty cheap. You will be able to drive on your UK licence for a year after you first arrive. To get a NZ licence you just need to do a multiple choice theory test of 35 questions - pretty standard stuff.

Good luck
Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

is it a good idea to bring all the house contents from europe to NZ ? or is it easier to bring personal items and then buy new over there ? bring as much as you can - it gets pretty expensive to buy it all again, we shipped all our belongings in a 20ft container - cost us £3600 with PSS and that included them doing all the packing, door to door service, customs etc etc

would we have to re- take our driving tests? assuming you did your driving test in the UK you only need to do a multi choice theory test - pretty easy - you've got to get at least 32 out of 35 right

me being 24, would i be able to drive? i think i saw somewhere that you can get your licence at 15? no probs there - as you say they get their licences at 15 here - madness!!

i got a insurance quote (for mum on a NZ$3500 car) from a link from trade me, and it was NZ$ 101 a year! does that sound right? thats very cheap!insurance is optional and pretty cheap so I would guess that is about right - I wold suggest that a $3500 car is not up to much though!!

Good luck with it all
Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Joshlin
insurance is optional and pretty cheap so I would guess that is about right - I wold suggest that a $3500 car is not up to much though!!
insurance is optional ??

the NZ$3500 car was a landrover discovery - so not a bad car for her. i was looking thru trade me and ebay NZ and i saw LOADS of cars under NZ$1000 ... thats where i would start