Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help me nag my boyfriend!

Help me nag my boyfriend!

Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:59 pm
Master

properdivers is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Help me nag my boyfriend!

I think we should wear flight socks on the flight to NZ....he disagrees and thinks they are for girls and just a money making scheme....please give me some horrible stories preferably bloody and gross as he is very squeamish about operations etc. I need to convince him to wear a pair. I've offered to buy them so he doesn't have to shell out but still no joy! Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future
Default Re: Help me nag my boyfriend!

Originally Posted by properdivers
I think we should wear flight socks on the flight to NZ....he disagrees and thinks they are for girls and just a money making scheme....please give me some horrible stories preferably bloody and gross as he is very squeamish about operations etc. I need to convince him to wear a pair. I've offered to buy them so he doesn't have to shell out but still no joy! Thanks for your help!

No stories I'm afraid, but I was wondering about this myself. I am overweight and have 5 month old baby - both factors making me more at risk I believe. Maybe someone in the know could confirm this.
Also, what about kids - I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old as well.

Hope someone can help us.Good luck persuading the boyfriend.

Kathryn
Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:14 pm
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

It all depends who you are flying with but I have just flown with Singapore Air and they give you flight socks on the flight, I have also flown with BA and they give you flight socks on the flight.

I agree with your boyfriend, my wife wears them but I have never worn then and never intend to unless my feet get cold during the flight then I may put them on as an extra layer, leave the poor guy alone.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Mark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really nice
Smile Re: Help me nag my boyfriend!

He sounds too big and macho for someone like me to try and get the guy nagged.
I'm shaking right now and am going to tuck myself up with my Winnie the Pooh hot water bottle and a port and lemon!! :scared:
Old Nov 15th 2005, 4:04 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

I wear them on short flights just to be safe and so does my wife

I think you should definitely wear them on a long flight to NZ..... you wear them under your normal socks so nobody would even know that he had them on

It's not like wearing suspenders

K9
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Why not simply take an aspirin tablet the day before the flight and the day of the flight. Always take with food and drink plenty of fluids. Walk around the aircraft and do the simple leg exercises. Do not wear anything restrictive around your legs e.g. socks that have a tight band.

This is not medical advice, check out with your Dr about taking aspirin if you have any medical conditions or you are taking any other medication.

As a nurse I can give you several horror stories about people having DVT's/PE's, however NONE of them were related to air travel.
Gill
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't imagine what his problem is. I'd be proud to wear a pair especially with transparent trousers such as these

Stylish !!!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:20 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

You are so funny Sega. Some marital karma for you (if I can)

Phyl
Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:06 pm
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

we all wore flight socks over here and they make your legs feel really light. none of us had any troubles at all when we landed so i advise to wear them. tell ur boyfriend that no one is going to come round and lift up his trousers to inspect his socks. LOL.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:12 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 80s Chick
You are so funny Sega. Some marital karma for you (if I can)

Phyl
Is that code?

MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm Marital Karma :scared:
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:15 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Wear em and do your exercises......stop smoking and drinking, lose 2 stone, lower your collesteral ....

Order of Tony Blair PS is there anything else in your life i can interfere with?
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:17 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Why not simply take an aspirin tablet the day before the flight and the day of the flight. Always take with food and drink plenty of fluids. Walk around the aircraft and do the simple leg exercises. Do not wear anything restrictive around your legs e.g. socks that have a tight band.

This is not medical advice, check out with your Dr about taking aspirin if you have any medical conditions or you are taking any other medication.

As a nurse I can give you several horror stories about people having DVT's/PE's, however NONE of them were related to air travel.
Gill

Have to agree with you re the asprin thing Gill. Having made the flight from US to NZ dozens of times I have always been conscious of DVT, especially having suffered from leg cramps after getting off some flights. Taking the asprin did stop the cramping but also gave me nose bleeds on the flights. In the end I decided to talk to my Doctor about this & he suggested only taking half an asprin before any long flights & along with exercising on the flight & walking around as much as I can this has worked wonderfully for me.

Dont think anyone should take any risks with DVT as its such a serious thing.

Cindy
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:21 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
Can't imagine what his problem is. I'd be proud to wear a pair especially with transparent trousers such as these

Stylish !!!
Tried sending you some K for this delightfully stylish look at inflight fashions Ali but am told I have to spread it around before giving it you again Thanks for the laugh mate, it was much appreciated!! Just loved the idea of the transparent trousers

Cindy
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:31 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Easy. Just mention the words blood flow, willie, blockage, and pain all in one sentence. He'll be wearing them before the tickets are even booked and won't even research it to see if you're telling the truth. If he needs more convincing he can e-mail my husband, whose vasectomy went wrong, causing a thrombosis that put him into intensive care. Ouch!
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:33 pm
Danny

drdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud ofdrdan has much to be proud of

More than 90% of DVTs are related to one or more of the proven risk factors other than flying and despite the overwhelming media interest, the link between DVTs and flying is less than overwhelming, though growing.

DVTs that occur below the knee are less likely to be ones that turn into pulmonary emboli (PE) which are the real killers. This means that for proper protection against serious DVTs, the knee-high stockings are not going to cut it and full-length compression stockings are needed, which are pretty uncomfortable.

Kathryn - being overweight is a risk factor, but not a huge one. Your pregnancy-related risk returns to normal after about 6-8 weeks after delivery.

Personally, when we come over I won't be bothering with stockings but will just do the usual advice which includes calf exercises, regular walks, lots of water and no alcohol. The role of low dose aspirin as prevention is yet to be proven, though it is attractive as it is safe in those who are medically able to take it and unlikely to result in any serious side effects.

Hope that helps,
Danny
(ObGyn)

PS. You might find this useful:
http://www.dh.gov.uk/dvt

Last edited by drdan; Nov 16th 2005 at 7:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.