Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

help with itinary please

help with itinary please

Old Nov 12th 2006, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all
Default Re: help with itinary please

Originally Posted by caitlin206
I can't really take a train from Auk to welly cos we have hired a camper van from Auck and we would then have no transport in welly.

I am beginning to feel really foolish but I had hoped it was possible to spend some time in both auckland and welly...

what about this....
land auckland 28th
stay 29th and 30th then head down to welly stopping at thru hamilton and stopping over at new plymouth.
then have 2nd 3rd and 4th in welly before heading back staying at napier on 5th rotorua and tauranga on 6th and 7th and back to auckland for 8th and 9th (leave on 9th evening for UK - so no will not be there for 19th)

is that still bonkers?
Sounds much better from a safety point of view - if you're coming off that long flight from the UK - especially if you've never done it before and don't know how your body/time clock will adjust. There was a tragedy when The British Lions were touring - some young Brit supporters did just that, got off the plane in Auckland, straight into a campervan - think the driver might have fallen asleep - they hit a car and someone died - the driver ended up in court facing a jail sentence.

If Auckland/Wellington/Palmerston North are your priorities in terms of work, I would concentrate on them, so perhaps...

arrive 5.45am on the 28th - collect camper and spend rest of day out of city on beach, slobbing out - resist temptation to go to sleep during day - you might end up going to bed by 7.00 or 8.00pm but that is far preferable to succumbing to sleep during the day.

Do your Auckland recce 29th and 30th. It usually takes me around 9 hours to drive in a car, let alone a camper from Auckland to Wellington. So spend night of 30th in Auckland then potter to Hamilton on morning of 1st, then onto Taupo - spend night of 1st lakeside in Taupo/Rotorua

Morning of 2nd potter to Palmerston North. Leave Palmerston morning of 4th and potter down Kapiti Coast to Wellington.

Stay in Wellington 5th and 6th - see how you feel - you would still have 7th and 8th and part of 9th to decide what else you want to do - and by that time you will know your capabilities in terms of camper driving!
Old Nov 12th 2006, 6:42 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
A bit slow here. Could you explain this please?
The risk from earthquake and subsequent tidal surge. A long time resident once explained to me as "The Funnel".

Apart from that I would still recommend the place - If I was to return to NZ it would be Christchurch or Wellington - Auckland doesnt have anything to offer apart from Ex girlfriends and outstanding speeding fines
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

caitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nicecaitlin206 is just really nice

Originally Posted by thebears
Na Dont do that

What you need to appreciate it is the travel in itself is different from the UK and Europe.

Part of the attraction for folks is spending more time outdoors and a slower pace of life. Due to your time constraints you are already putting pressure on yourselves.

The campervan is a great way to see NZ and I can see your intentions to gain both transport and accomodation.

Why not just limit your driving down as far as Taupo/Bay of Plenty and enjoy the parts that you do see (once you see the back of a tractor/truck its the same all over the world).

Auckland can be a disappointment as it is just a sprawling suburbia. Wellington has more culture but is a risky place to live (not from the people).

Please go visit and ask any questions you want - the only silly questions are the ones you ask after the event.

Kiwi
Sound advice Kiwi - have decided now only to do Auckland down to bay of plenty and leave the rest of the country open to discovery once we live there (presuming the man from del monte - he say yes!)
thanks
Old Nov 12th 2006, 1:12 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
The risk from earthquake and subsequent tidal surge. A long time resident once explained to me as "The Funnel".

Apart from that I would still recommend the place - If I was to return to NZ it would be Christchurch or Wellington - Auckland doesnt have anything to offer apart from Ex girlfriends and outstanding speeding fines
Excellent, thanks for the explanation!