British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Help, i need to know about Wellington suburbs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-i-need-know-about-wellington-suburbs-396356/)

Emms Sep 13th 2006 8:49 pm

Help, i need to know about Wellington suburbs

Hi,
I am new and I can tell already that there are loads of experts out there that may be able to help me.

I have two job opportuniteis in midwifery, one at Hutt hospital in Lower Hutt and the other at Wellington hospital.

I am desperately searching the net for info about suburbs to visit with a view to renting/buying a property. I am only going to be able to make one quick visit before we come over for good so I have to kind of get it right.

We want somewhere in a good location for both hospitals, not too suburban, good local primary schools, some facilites but not essentail as long as there are some in near driving distance, and most of all somewhere where properties are in bush setting with large plots of say 1000m and ofcourse great views.

i am dreaming or what?

if you can give me a little list of suburbs that may fit the bill, i will have a starting point to research from.

any info would be great

many many thanks

Emma :)

poppets Sep 13th 2006 11:54 pm

Re: Help, i need to know about Wellington suburbs

Originally Posted by Emms
Hi,
I am new and I can tell already that there are loads of experts out there that may be able to help me.

I have two job opportuniteis in midwifery, one at Hutt hospital in Lower Hutt and the other at Wellington hospital.

I am desperately searching the net for info about suburbs to visit with a view to renting/buying a property. I am only going to be able to make one quick visit before we come over for good so I have to kind of get it right.

We want somewhere in a good location for both hospitals, not too suburban, good local primary schools, some facilites but not essentail as long as there are some in near driving distance, and most of all somewhere where properties are in bush setting with large plots of say 1000m and ofcourse great views.

i am dreaming or what?

if you can give me a little list of suburbs that may fit the bill, i will have a starting point to research from.

any info would be great

many many thanks

hi emma
this link may help
http://www.propertystuff.co.nz/ property & suburb profiles, the data there comes from 2000 census data supplied by Statistics New Zealand.
also try sending pm's to the following, Kaz hen (lived in lower hutt), cottageinthesky (realestate), dannyf (will be working at welly hosp) i'm sure that others can help too, but they've just slipped my mind at mo

try this for schools
http://www.tki.org.nz/e/schools/index.php
click on the school name to get the decile rating 1 is low 10 is high 'The Ministry of Education uses a decile rating system for school funding purposes.
Each decile contains approximately 10% of schools. Schools in decile one have the highest proportion of students from low socio-economic backgrounds. Schools in decile ten have the lowest proportions of these students' , also for schools, addresses, web sites etc

enrolement zones for schools try http://www.schoolzones.co.nz

good luck

danny.f Sep 14th 2006 1:14 am

Good evening Emma. We too are moving to Wellington,hopefully by Xmas,but more likely Jan. We both have jobs on Paed wards in Wellington Hospital,starting Feb. We've been looking at South Wellington,Kilbirnie,Newtown,Berhampore,Mt Victoria,or Lower Hutt itself bout 20 mins North is lovely,as is Kandallah. PM Cottageinthesky,she will give you a better idea what's advisable,she has a lot to do with property etc. Danny. :)

newkiwi Sep 14th 2006 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Emms
Hi,

i am dreaming or what?

any info would be great

many many thanks

Hi emma
Thats a varied wishlist...:)
if you are looking for more of a lifestyle out of the city type setting you can consider Waikanae, which is lovely with great beaches and very nice. however, it is out quite a distance, about 45 mins drive, but with a good rail link into the City.

closer to the City the properties are maybe smaller, or more suburban. However, there are very nice places in brooklyn, mt cook, vogeltown, maybe not 1000m but certainly you get great views. Karori is also nice.
The other option is around the bays, lyall bay, island bay etc.
or join peter jackson of Lord of the Rings fame and look at Seatoun.

There really is a place for every taste, depending on how far you want to commute, what budget you have, r u planning on using Public Transport to get to work etc.

I havent even talked about the Hutt yet.

The two hospitals are in quite different parts of the city, but Wellingotn is not that big, so you should be relatively close to either is you pick somewhere in Lower Hutt or Wellington City. Properties in lower Hutt are cheaper, but have more of a suburban feel.

Sorry i seem to have talked a lot without saying anything, maybe i should become a politician.

Give us some more questions :)

have fun looking for you place in the sun (and wind and rain and earthquakes occasionally) ;)

Boopy Sep 14th 2006 9:12 am

I work at Welly Hospital, parking there is quite bad. From 1st Nov it goes up from $2 per day to $8 per day, and most will have to park outside the grounds with quite a walk. There's talk of staff safety at night and security having to walk you to your car.
Many nurses leave Welly hospital to work at Hutt.
Hope this helps.

babybella Sep 14th 2006 12:02 pm

[QUOTE=Emms]Hi,

Woburn, or central Hutt, Avalon, all nice areas and very close to Hutt Hosp.
Look at www.nzopen2view.com
Eastern Hutt very good primary, Hutt Intermediate then Hutt Valley high. All good and zoned.
KAZ

Emms Sep 14th 2006 7:44 pm

Hi everyone,
wow thanks for all your help, (quick or what)
you have given me plenty to go at and i feel i am going to be busy sifting thro it all for a while,
will get back to you in a bit with more questions no doubt

thanks again
its so exciting :)
Emma