British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Help I need advice. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-i-need-advice-524359/)

blackburn lass Mar 25th 2008 5:21 pm

Help I need advice.

Hi,
My husband and I are, like many people do, really considering moving to New Zealand. The main reason being that we have recently come out of our own pub business and feel that we need to go somewhere different. We have chosen New Zealand because we have a friend who is a Kiwi, he visited us for over 2 years and we found out loads about the island and quite like the sound of it. We have a 11 year old daughter who isn't too keen but her main concern is leaving her friends, I have tried to explain the benefits to her but it's not working. But that is not my main concern, I'm not sure of the best way to go about applying, should we just go, stay with our friend (he has offered) let my husband get a job and apply to stay once there. Or do we apply beforehand, if so what will give us our best chance, my husband has no needed skills apart from owning a business, I work in education as a qualified teaching assisitant.

We are pretty convinced that we want to go, it's just scary not knowing if we would be able to stay.

Can our friend sponsor us to stay or is that just for family?

We would be going to the north island, a place called Marton at first but when we've looked we quite like the area of Wanganui. Anyone any advice on this area.

All suggestions welcome.:unsure:

Stef_Paul Mar 25th 2008 5:57 pm

Re: Help I need advice.

I can give you a small amount of advice when it comes to area. We have spent 2 days in Wanganui this Easter weekend (so I suppose only 2 days isn't enough to qualify as being too knowledgable but hey, it's better than nothing!) Marton is a VERY small place and I'm not sure if your 11 year old would find it ideal. Wanganui would be a better option but avoid the areas Castlecliff and Gonville as they are...how can I put it...not the nicest of places and the house prices reflect this. St Johns Hill is a gorgeous area!

I would advise doing what me and my husband did when choosing between Wanganui and Timaru...check out the local newspapers online and it does give you an idea on which place would be best. Look at the local school options, employment options etc etc etc...

I don't really know what to say to you about jobs etc...the only thing I will say is don't just come over on a holiday visa without looking at what you can get with NZ immigration as you don't want to be dissapointed when you get here. We had an easy ride as my husband had a job offer, although it took me 2 months to get an office job in Timaru.

Good luck:thumbup:

newkiwi Mar 25th 2008 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by blackburn lass (Post 6109707)
Hi,
My husband and I are, like many people do, really considering moving to New Zealand. The main reason being that we have recently come out of our own pub business and feel that we need to go somewhere different. We have chosen New Zealand because we have a friend who is a Kiwi, he visited us for over 2 years and we found out loads about the island and quite like the sound of it. We have a 11 year old daughter who isn't too keen but her main concern is leaving her friends, I have tried to explain the benefits to her but it's not working. But that is not my main concern, I'm not sure of the best way to go about applying, should we just go, stay with our friend (he has offered) let my husband get a job and apply to stay once there. Or do we apply beforehand, if so what will give us our best chance, my husband has no needed skills apart from owning a business, I work in education as a qualified teaching assisitant.

We are pretty convinced that we want to go, it's just scary not knowing if we would be able to stay.

Can our friend sponsor us to stay or is that just for family?

We would be going to the north island, a place called Marton at first but when we've looked we quite like the area of Wanganui. Anyone any advice on this area.

All suggestions welcome.:unsure:

Hi
As far as any sponsorship goes, only family members who meet certain criteria can do that, so thats not an option for you. Look into whether you can qualify as a skilled migrant with your qualifications as a teaching assistant, or if you can get an employer to sponsor you for a work permit.
There is nothing stopping you going to NZ as a visitor, try to get work and then having your prospective emplyer apply for a work permit once you have an offer of employment. Thats risky though, but not impossible. I would say many employers are not keen on taking on anybody without a workpermit, bit of a chiken and egg situation really. Maybe do some research and find out what the likihood is of you getting work as teaching etc is in short supply in Nz.
I dont know Marton or Wanganui, id say somewhere bigger would be likely to have more job opportunities though...

forgot to say....try getting to some of the NZ expos armed with CVs, you may get some contacts there....

good luck

UKNZAUS Mar 25th 2008 7:02 pm

Hey whereabouts are you from in Blackburn? We came from the Infirmary end (the nicer part on Pritchard St :lol: ) We too came as visitors last year and now have our Permanent Residency, my husband was in IT though. Also we have a 10 year old who was just like your daughter and wouldn't move back for all the money in the world now! He'd like to visit but not for long he says...

blackburn lass Mar 25th 2008 7:12 pm

Thanks I will let my daughter know that.

We live in Rishton...the posher part of Blackburn.

What made you move?

Do you think working as a teaching assistant will help to get employment?

UKNZAUS Mar 25th 2008 7:42 pm

I lived in Hermitage Street before moving back to Blackburn too in 2004. We lived there for 4 years. My son attended Rishton Methodist School and I worked part-time in the Workmen's Club.

I'll PM you ;)

blackburn lass Mar 25th 2008 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 6110337)
I lived in Hermitage Street before moving back to Blackburn too in 2004. We lived there for 4 years. My son attended Rishton Methodist School and I worked part-time in the Workmen's Club.

I'll PM you ;)

my god you always meet someone from Rishton.
My daughters goes to St charles, what is his name she may know him?
We had the Rishton Arms Pub (station) on Station rd until Feb

It's a small world!

UKNZAUS Mar 25th 2008 9:51 pm

I do know your Father in Law - how weird is that lol How's he doing?

snoo Feb 19th 2009 9:17 am

I know this thread was started last year...but, as a fellow Blackburner (and NOT proud!) I was wondering if you made the move?
We started off 3 years ago thinking of moving to NZ....anyway LONG story short....we are about to move to Oz in the next few months having gained our Perm Res visas!
Lisa,x

blackburn lass Feb 19th 2009 9:23 am

I have stared a new thread "We've made a decision". Have a look. Send me a PM and maybe we could chat.:thumbsup: