Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help - House Offer, Do I Accept?

Help - House Offer, Do I Accept?

Old Jul 11th 2005, 1:00 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help - House Offer, Do I Accept?

Originally Posted by Biddy
I do know that you can go to NZ get a job offer and then apply.
So you can go, get a job offer that's skilled employment, apply for a work permit, and then apply for your PR that way? Suppose it's better as well if both of you get jobs?
Old Jul 11th 2005, 1:21 pm
Kiwi livin' and lovin' it

Location: Was England. Then Germany.Tried Spain. NZ now and NOT moving!
the turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant future

Going by Biddy's info then you should be fine - if the PR looks to be taking too long then you could consider the temp work visa which is quicker to go through.

We would have gone for the work visa if we didn't have to sell our house first - we could have been there months ago by now!

Andrea
Old Jul 11th 2005, 1:25 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the turner family
Going by Biddy's info then you should be fine - if the PR looks to be taking too long then you could consider the temp work visa which is quicker to go through.

We would have gone for the work visa if we didn't have to sell our house first - we could have been there months ago by now!

Andrea
Mmm, definitely worth considering. Anyone any idea how this works? Do you go on a visitor's visa, then go for jobs, get one and get a work permit, then apply for PR?
Old Jul 11th 2005, 2:30 pm
Account Closed

Kurtons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Mmm, definitely worth considering. Anyone any idea how this works? Do you go on a visitor's visa, then go for jobs, get one and get a work permit, then apply for PR?
My reples related to the original posting of should I accept the house offer so sorry if ive taken it back a bit but anyway posted on saturday that we had a viewing now have a definate offer no chain and not much belowthe asking price of course weve accepted it and now are concentrating on our reccky to Wellington mid August .Also fingers crossed for you tommorow Biddy sending some our new found luck to you all
Old Jul 11th 2005, 3:24 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

We've had an offer on our house (hoorah), £5k below what we wanted (boo), from a buyer who's not in a chain, very straightforward (and nice people as well). This offer takes us down to our very base level for moving to NZ, the £5K was our 'emergency money'.

Now, our EOI was selected on 23/6, but we're not on any of the shortages list which makes me think we're not going to be as high a priority as the other people being assessed who are on the shortages list. We can therefore wait a little while before getting another offer, so we're really in a condundrum, having never (a) sold a house before, or (b) decided to up sticks and move to the other side of the world.

By not accepting their offer we could end up having the ok to go to NZ but have no buyer then have the stress of selling quickly and being taken for a ride.

If we accept this offer it's likely to mean that we have to move out before we know for definite about NZ, this causes us rental problems. But then again, the buyer is credible, loves the house, is keen to move, and won't haggle over the price after the survey.

What should we do?

All advice very gratefully received.
If it was me Jan, I would be taking the offer!!

Selling your house prior to emigration is one of the biggest jobs on the list - if you can tick it off already then I would go for it if I was you!!!

We are putting ours on the market shortly and if I got a buyer who was chain free I'd snap them up quick smart I can tell you!!
Old Jul 11th 2005, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

nessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nice

We've had an offer on our house (hoorah), £5k below what we wanted (boo), from a buyer who's not in a chain, very straightforward (and nice people as well). This offer takes us down to our very base level for moving to NZ, the £5K was our 'emergency money'.

Now, our EOI was selected on 23/6, but we're not on any of the shortages list which makes me think we're not going to be as high a priority as the other people being assessed who are on the shortages list. We can therefore wait a little while before getting another offer, so we're really in a condundrum, having never (a) sold a house before, or (b) decided to up sticks and move to the other side of the world.

By not accepting their offer we could end up having the ok to go to NZ but have no buyer then have the stress of selling quickly and being taken for a ride.

If we accept this offer it's likely to mean that we have to move out before we know for definite about NZ, this causes us rental problems. But then again, the buyer is credible, loves the house, is keen to move, and won't haggle over the price after the survey.

What should we do?

All advice very gratefully received.
In my opinion, I would accept. We turned down an offer £10k less than we were asking after our house had been o the market 2 weeks. It has taken 14 weeks to get another offer and, you guessed it, it's £10k less than we were originally asking!

At least there are only two houses in the chain as our buyers have a first time, cash buyer.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 12:11 pm

UPDATE - before we had chance to chew over the offer (the estate agents knew we wanted a day to think about it) my husband rang them and told them to try to get the buyer higher but that, off the record, we'd take the offer if we had to rather than lose the sale.

The estate agent came up trumps this morning (bunch of flowers to her!) and the offer has now gone to the asking price, subject to survey! Whoo hoo! How chuffed, and hungover, are we?

Thanks to everyone for their advice, and lots of valuable comments. Last night we'd already decided to say we'd take the reduced offer, but seeing as they are now happy to pay the asking price ....

They'd already put in two other offers so it seems they really want it. So who knows - could be in NZ in 12 weeks. We're going to look further into arriving and working temporarily whilst the PR application goes through and if that's possible we're going straight from the house sale. If not, we'll look at renting somewhere in the interim.

Can't believe it, it's one more step to NZ ......

Last edited by bookemjano; Jul 12th 2005 at 1:18 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:39 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic news - good for you. In a few hours I'll be able to tell you whether our house / shop sale is going ahead or not.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:57 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

UPDATE - before we had chance to chew over the offer (the estate agents knew we wanted a day to think about it) my husband rang them and told them to try to get the buyer higher but that, off the record, we'd take the offer if we had to rather than lose the sale.

The estate agent came up trumps this morning (bunch of flowers to her!) and the offer has now gone to the asking price, subject to survey! Whoo hoo! How chuffed, and hungover, are we?

Thanks to everyone for their advice, and lots of valuable comments. Last night we'd already decided to say we'd take the reduced offer, but seeing as they are now happy to pay the asking price ....

They'd already put in two other offers so it seems they really want it. So who knows - could be in NZ in 12 weeks. We're going to look further into arriving and working temporarily whilst the PR application goes through and if that's possible we're going straight from the house sale. If not, we'll look at renting somewhere in the interim.

Can't believe it, it's one more step to NZ ......
Jan that is absolutely superb news - thrilled to bits for you -
have a drink on me tonight - if your hangover has gone by then!!

Old Jul 12th 2005, 2:00 pm
Don't let me get me....

Fantastic news - good for you. In a few hours I'll be able to tell you whether our house / shop sale is going ahead or not.
Biddy - I've got my fingers crossed for you mate...hope it all works out...
Old Jul 12th 2005, 2:14 pm

Good luck - you deserve for the deal to go ahead! Make sure you keep us updated.

(Had a couple of drinks the other night and thought 'doesn't Biddy look like Paul Whitehouse'. Took another drink for me to realise what I'd done! I blame it on the stress of migration.)
Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:22 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Congratulations Jan, well done! It is difficult to know when to put your house up for sale. We haven't yet, but have had it valued Was told I need to 'de-clutter' and paint out my mediterranean kitchen Oh well, I suppose magnolia it is then.

Fingers crossed for you too Biddy!
Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sparkle2nite
Congratulations Jan, well done! It is difficult to know when to put your house up for sale. We haven't yet, but have had it valued Was told I need to 'de-clutter' and paint out my mediterranean kitchen Oh well, I suppose magnolia it is then.

Fingers crossed for you too Biddy!
When our house went up for sale the estate agents said that some people may be put off by the colours - we had a grey/blue living room, an aqua bathroom and a orangey/yellow kitchen, we didn't change anything, to see what happened. Nearly everyone who visited said they loved the colours because they were fed up seeing houses in creams and whites. The person who's made the offer said it was what sold it to them, because it's a very sunny house and the colours went well. Estate agents - pah!
Old Jul 12th 2005, 5:17 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

When our house went up for sale the estate agents said that some people may be put off by the colours - we had a grey/blue living room, an aqua bathroom and a orangey/yellow kitchen, we didn't change anything, to see what happened. Nearly everyone who visited said they loved the colours because they were fed up seeing houses in creams and whites. The person who's made the offer said it was what sold it to them, because it's a very sunny house and the colours went well. Estate agents - pah!
Woo Hoo, can you get a refund on paint I think our colours are lovely. They are not mad and wacky but colourful and tasteful. All my friends like it and I agree it is sunny and makes me feel happy! We have tiles in the kitchen which are red/green/lemon and orange and the walls are painted orange and it's lovely! I might leave it all alone and see what happens (not that I'm a lazy bitch of course)

The estate agent even told us to put away all our 8 year old daughters dance trophies as people don't like to see them. If people can't see past a few trophies that Grace is soooooo proud of then they must have no imagination at all? He even told us that one client he had refused a house because she didn't like their sofa...........how crazy is that, it wasn't even included!!!!
Old Jul 12th 2005, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Jan - it all starts to feel really real when everything falls into place - fingers crossed for a smooth sale for you.

Hay Biddy - any news yet - everything crossed for you - I seem to remember that you've been a bit close to this point before so hope it happens (if it hasn't already)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.