British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Help, hints, tips - Gaining a job offer in New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-hints-tips-gaining-job-offer-new-zealand-896632/)

NihilisticPom May 11th 2017 7:10 am

Help, hints, tips - Gaining a job offer in New Zealand

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are looking at NZ immigration. We've just had a really bad experience with Australia (we chose there because we wanted to be near family), and an employer left us in a really bad situation. We still really want to be near family, and my husband loves NZ (he's been there many times).

He's been applying for job after job, but we've had no luck. He's a career civil servant. He does policy & planning, research, stats, business planning, etc. If he had a job offer, he would be able to meet the 160 points, but we're struggling to get anywhere with it. I'm a pharmacy dispenser, which might be covered under the immediate skills shortage list, but my qualifications were in-house, and before the NVQs were mandatory in the UK.

Things are really bad at the moment, and we would appreciate any tips or advice that anyone could offer.

MrsFychan May 11th 2017 8:44 am

re: Help, hints, tips - Gaining a job offer in New Zealand

Hi and welcome to BE,

What is his actual job title? Have you looked on the skills list and found it?

NihilisticPom May 11th 2017 8:55 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12250251)
Hi and welcome to BE,

What is his actual job title? Have you looked on the skills list and found it?

He could fit in more than one profession on the list of skilled occupations, but his last job was sponsored under policy and planning manager. It's on the list of skilled occupations, but not on any of the shortage lists.

MrsFychan May 11th 2017 10:02 am

you need to fit in to what the requirements covered on the skills criteria are.
A job offer doesn't mean Immigration will grant you a visa. MrF was already working for the Company he got his job offer through to get the magic points to get a visa, he was working on a temp work visa. Immigration were totally aware he had already taken up the job, but they still sent the job offer back to the employer 3 times before it fitted what was required on the criteria to get the visa and he still had to provide evidence he fitted the criteria.

NihilisticPom May 11th 2017 11:22 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12250308)
you need to fit in to what the requirements covered on the skills criteria are.
A job offer doesn't mean Immigration will grant you a visa. MrF was already working for the Company he got his job offer through to get the magic points to get a visa, he was working on a temp work visa. Immigration were totally aware he had already taken up the job, but they still sent the job offer back to the employer 3 times before it fitted what was required on the criteria to get the visa and he still had to provide evidence he fitted the criteria.

Definitely. We had to do that with Aus too. Still, finding someone to offer him a job would be more hope than we currently have at the moment.

BEVS May 12th 2017 3:02 am

Hi there and welcome to our wee NZ forum.

Originally Posted by NihilisticPom (Post 12250214)
......He's been applying for job after job, but we've had no luck. He's a career civil servant. He does policy & planning, research, stats, business planning, etc. If he had a job offer, he would be able to meet the 160 points, but we're struggling to get anywhere with it.

As you may know this type of occupation is not on the shortage lists at the moment however if he could find a job offer with an NZIS accredited employer then they would be free to offer him a position despite the occupation not being on any shortage list.

If he has an Oz style CV , he may well need to tailor that to an NZ CV.

I'm a pharmacy dispenser, which might be covered under the immediate skills shortage list, but my qualifications were in-house, and before the NVQs were mandatory in the UK.
Yes . This occupation is on the immediate shortage list so any employer can offer a position to someone from overseas.
If you are able to show your inhouse quals then those could be assessed. Work experience though can substitute for quals BUT you need to be able to prove this.

Often employers don't realise that it is a job offer first before a visa so one needs to help them understand that. Also, it helps that the prospective employer knows you are prepared to arrive to start a.s.a.p. That it would be straight to a temp work visa .

Of course boots on ground , networking and cold calling can all turn up trumps.

I believe all councils are on the accredited employers list.

Anyone else know who needs policy/planners etc. Health Boards? Also on the accredited employers lists.

BEVS May 12th 2017 3:08 am

Re: Help, hints, tips - Gaining a job offer in New Zealand

Looking at Nz Careers, it states there is a shortage of Pharmacy Technician workers .
( Community Pharmacy Technician : Dispensary Technician : Hospital Pharmacy Technician)
That matches the shortage listing.

You may have more chance in this direction.

Again I would suggest tailoring your CV to NZ.

Sparkleydiva May 12th 2017 6:07 am

I would add that although your husband has policy, planning etc experience, as none of if it NZ focused this may prove problematic, as the NZ focus is seen as necessary. This applies across many professions

janiejones May 12th 2017 10:38 am

Not a Policy person, but I have knowledge of the public sector. Beyond is one of the agencies that supply staff to the public sector in Wellington, along with JacksonStone & Partners, so maybe start with them.