Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

help with an enquiry driving permit in nz

help with an enquiry driving permit in nz

Old Nov 8th 2009, 2:15 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light
Default help with an enquiry driving permit in nz

Hi our son is 15 will be 16 when we arrive in nz in Jan. He wants to get a drivers permit when we arrive for his birthday, however, we are wondering can only nz people get permits at a young age or will he be able to get one?

He is gonna be so gutted if he cannot, but better to know know than when we are there, it means we can arrange another b-day pressie for him if he is not able to get one.

Thank you soooo much

Tina&Will.x x
Old Nov 8th 2009, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help with an enquiry driving permit in nz

Hi, if you email the AA centres over here they are the ones who deal with the licenses etc they should be able to answer your question.

Good luck
Old Nov 8th 2009, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Here, try this website http://www.aa.co.nz/MOTORING/Pages/default.aspx
Old Nov 8th 2009, 5:55 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if you have to have been here any length of time on PR before applying.

We've just done that for our daughter's 15 (have been here since 2007).

I think it was around $80 for her learners licence. She has to study the highway code to sit the scratch test to get her learners licence. Then can have lessons to sit test to get restricted licence. All done at local AA office. AA website has sample scratch test to practice on.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 7:56 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
I'm not sure if you have to have been here any length of time on PR before applying.

We've just done that for our daughter's 15 (have been here since 2007).

I think it was around $80 for her learners licence. She has to study the highway code to sit the scratch test to get her learners licence. Then can have lessons to sit test to get restricted licence. All done at local AA office. AA website has sample scratch test to practice on.
cheers guys, have looked on website and have e-mailed them.

Tina. x
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

you can get him one straight away,
our eldest son asked about one when we had been
here for about 3 weeks and they said time in the country
isnt an issue.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
you can get him one straight away,
our eldest son asked about one when we had been
here for about 3 weeks and they said time in the country
isnt an issue.

Yes, I was going to say the above too. Its an age thing, not a nationality or status thing. Thats how I understand it anyway.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:21 am
Banned

jillyfar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willand tina_h
Hi our son is 15 will be 16 when we arrive in nz in Jan. He wants to get a drivers permit when we arrive for his birthday, however, we are wondering can only nz people get permits at a young age or will he be able to get one?

He is gonna be so gutted if he cannot, but better to know know than when we are there, it means we can arrange another b-day pressie for him if he is not able to get one.

Thank you soooo much

Tina&Will.x x
I am shocked that so young that they can get a Driving Licence in New Zealand.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 10th 2009 at 7:00 am. Reason: I'm shocked by the trolling.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:24 am
appreciate life

Originally Posted by Genesis
Yes, I was going to say the above too. Its an age thing, not a nationality or status thing. Thats how I understand it anyway.
cheers colandras and genesis, he will be so happy
It is scary thought mind is'nt it??? however, it is good that it is a long drawn out process, so really speaking they cannot get a full liscence for a while.

Tina. x x x
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Not being offensive, but I can't believe anybody wants their kids to drive at that age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be a cold day in hell before I let my son or daughter on the road over here. The driving in Canterbury is abysmal, filtering is like who dares wins. Blinkers and a lobotomy are a prerequisite. Joke.

Be careful out there.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:44 am
appreciate life

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Not being offensive, but I can't believe anybody wants their kids to drive at that age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be a cold day in hell before I let my son or daughter on the road over here. The driving in Canterbury is abysmal, filtering is like who dares wins. Blinkers and a lobotomy are a prerequisite. Joke.

Be careful out there.
thanks for the heads up mcuddy1, he will be 16 when we get out to nz, and they can learn here in uk at 17. However, i think that the system in nz is quite good as he have got to sit a test b4 he can even sit in a car in nz, dont know how i will feel mind you when he does get in a car, it does make me wonder that they are still only young, dont know wat the roads/drivers are like where we going as never been there going to tauranga.

Tina. x
Old Nov 9th 2009, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

Driving regulations are legislation, so apply to everyone no matter what their residency status.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

My grandson passed his driving test at 16 but it has been said there are restrictions. For 18 months they cannot have anyone in the car who has not got a full licence unless there is someone with them who has. Also they have not to drive after 10 pm. Can you imagine the rows that caused. They can apply to get a full licence after 12 months whereby they have to sit another test.

Just image what it would be like if 16 year olds could drive in the UK
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willand tina_h
thanks for the heads up mcuddy1, he will be 16 when we get out to nz, and they can learn here in uk at 17. However, i think that the system in nz is quite good as he have got to sit a test b4 he can even sit in a car in nz, dont know how i will feel mind you when he does get in a car, it does make me wonder that they are still only young, dont know wat the roads/drivers are like where we going as never been there going to tauranga.

Tina. x
My daughter lives in Papamoa which is in the Tauranga district. As with other places there are busy places. There are also some very funny rules as well one being if you are turning left the car coming towards you has right of way, unless someone behind is going straight through. This is what is meant by having eyes in the back of your head.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
This is what is meant by having eyes in the back of your head.
...or some sort of mirror perhaps??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.