British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Help with Dunedin move (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-dunedin-move-768712/)

WimbledonWomble Aug 18th 2012 10:55 am

Help with Dunedin move

Hi all,
I've been reading all the previous posts about moving to Dunedin (you soubdike a friendly bunch) and have a few questions. (we are moving there in the next few months with work). Our 5 & 7 year old boys are mad about sport and we wanted to know if there are any primary schools that you would recommend. Also my husband cycles everywhere - would living in Brighton be too far out? We fancy somewhere a bit outside the city.
Many thanks. Xxx

barnsleymat Aug 19th 2012 2:44 am

Re: Help with Dunedin move

I've just got back from Brighton as me n my dog Ringo love it down their on the beach, we spend hours just south of Brighton as the coastline is amazing.

We've been here a few months now and like you, a move to somewhere just outside of town looked like the best option. Apparantly almost every Brit that moves here dreams of moving just outside of town and a lot of the times Brighton is the place everyone wants to end up. But what normally happens is they move closer to town as the driving gets on top of them. It's weird as a 20/25 minute drive into town for someone that's lived in Auckland doesn't seem long but down here people get a different attitude towards driving and anything longer than a 10 miles is a waste of your time.

My cousin and his family did similar, they moved to Broad Bay up the Penisular, it's a 25 minute drive into town and after a few years it ground them down and they realised they needed to move closer to town. When your popping to the shops, dropping kids off, meeting mates, going to work etc and it's 25 minutes there and back the hours and hours of driving soon rack up.

That's why we've bought a house in Andersons Bay, it's 5 minutes into town and 10 minutes away from all the peaceful coastline we could ever need.

I know the thought of living out of town down the coast seems the NZ dream but in reality it's not very practical so maybe a move slightly closer to town could save you messing about moving again pretty soon. Even if you live closer to town you'll not be missing out on the peaceful lifestyle, Dunedin isn't a spawling metropolis but it's big enough to not feel too small.

But if you did move to Brighton there's plenty of cyclists use Brighton Road, there was a big cycle race down there yesterday as I passed.

mydogbitjesus Aug 20th 2012 9:11 am

There are a lot of hills in Dunedin so I hope your husband has good knees!
Somewhere down the peninsula could be good, the harbour road is flat and winding and there used to be a lot of cyclists on race bikes using it. Can be a bit mad with the car drivers though, I'm not sure if I'd want to do it too often. Anywhere up to Portobello is probably doable.
In town you might want to look at places along 'the green belt' from Mornington, west across the city to Maori hill/ Highgate (there may be better schools in that area).
There is Northeast valley which is close to town, but doesn't get much sun, if any, in winter. Pine hill can have amazing views across the city if you live on the overlooking side.
If you aren't bothered about being too far out, you could try fairfield, mosgiel, although if you have been living in Wimbledon you will find these places very quiet and maybe a bit boring.
I heard that the Ravensbourne side has a cycle path now? But that side of the harbour doesn't get much sun either until you start getting down to maybe Sawers bay and then Port Chalmers.
St Kilda is flat, but a crap hole, but the St Clair side could be nice, out near the beach and on the hill overlooking.

WimbledonWomble Aug 25th 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks for your responses - I appreciate the time you have taken to help me out. My husband arrives next week and will be on his own for the next 4 months so if anyone fancies taking him out for a beer or a cycle ride it'd be much appreciated....

See you all after Christmas, Meg

dannigirl Aug 25th 2012 8:42 pm

Sorry haven't replied sooner WW. Been waiting till we move to sit down properly and respond. Yay for choosing Dunedin, or maybe it chose you. I am moving back home to Dunedin in Jan after 10 years in the UK.

IMHO Dunedin has loads to offer, great uni town so a bit more diverse as lots of people come to study, great and easy access to lots of beaches, loads of things for kids to do, good schools, close to Central Otago etc.

Regarding your questions - I am not sure you can bike from Brighton to Dunedin unless you use the old road (blackhead or hillhead road i think - not sure) as the main road is part motorway or maybe you go through Green Island? I'm not sure as I don't know that area very well. I also agree with barnsleymat, in that the drive into Dunedin from Brighton might get to you. Depends how often you need to travel to Dunedin and
how much you love/like living in Brighton. By kiwi standards (or Dunedin
standards) it is quite a lengthy commute.

Brighton beach is stunning though. The community is quite small though, there is no pub!! Could be hard but not impossible to integrate into the community.

There are plenty of good schools about. Most schools zone but you will find there is some flexibility from some schools I.e they don't zone at all. Most people choose the school closest to them unless you want a faith school. Probably best you get a feel for the different suburbs, as they can be quite different. Most important thing is to get a house with sun, beware of cheap houses that look really nice - usually a sign of bad position or rough suburb. Areas I would personally avoid would be corstorphine, brockville, kaikorai valley, pine hill, the left hand side of north east valley as you drive from town unless you are high up and get
lots of sun.

Good luck!

dannigirl Aug 25th 2012 8:43 pm

Sorry it's all messy on iPhone

barnsleymat Aug 25th 2012 10:19 pm

Tell him to give me a ring on 02102845956 or drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll meet him for a drink. I'll drag my cousin along, he's been here 6 years and is a wealth of knowledge about Dunners.

barnsleymat Aug 25th 2012 11:08 pm

It's a beautiful morning in Dunedin, I've just done this with a new app.

This is what he can expect:

http://pnr.ma/eStgam

mazandben Sep 3rd 2012 8:13 am

I too love Brighton, it has the best beach in Dunedin and the dog quite often drags me along for a walk
I dont think its too far to live from the city 15 mins tops and is also a nice bike ride in and safer than the penisula road, although just heard today they are building a new bike lane which will be fab:thumbsup:

Chalkygirl Sep 4th 2012 3:55 am

Brighton is definitely not too far out, but probably not the easiest commute by bike. We lived there for two years before relocating to Christchurch and we both worked in Dunners - 20 mins travel time by car. Beach is beautiful, we often had sea lions and penguins on the beach there and it's very dog-friendly. But cold most of the year (as you'd expect that far down south) so if you are buying be very careful about how the house is situated - there is a mean wind that blows off the sea so make sure your garden is sheltered or you will never enjoy a barbie! Make sure the house isnt obscured by hills either - you really need the sun to warm the house up, especially in winter.
The locals are a little, erm, colourful. The families we got on well with moved from Brighton before we did. Big Rock is the local primary school and had a 80/20 boys/girls split when we were there. My daughter hated it - she left after a week and went to Green Island primary school which was much better.
It is an incredible spot on a sunny day with the inlet there - but probably not my first choice with young children. Best for a visiting on a hot Saturday afternoon IMHO.