Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

help - condensation

help - condensation

Old May 20th 2012, 7:10 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help - condensation

Originally Posted by concretepump
sorry simonsi as in all gas fires you need ventilation, if you use a gas fire it will dry out the room without any extra water , like having a bowl of water we used the same in tauranga and had no problems with condensation,
and we do the same in uk
The laws of physic and chemistry dont agree.

Burning gas creates CO2 and Water, simple as that, you then need to get rid of the water, it isnt magically attracted to your bowl, that also evaporates into the air in the house.

Agreed you get more condensation (and more risk) if you dont ventilate properly but you cant get around the fact that an open gas flame (inc a gas hob), is putting moisture into the air in the house, so if you have a condensation issue its going to make it worse.

This is one of the reasons portable gas heaters are expensive to run, you need to use so much ventilation to get back to square one you dont have much heat left in the room.
Old May 20th 2012, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Deley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what is HRV????

Regards
Old May 20th 2012, 7:57 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deley
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what is HRV????

Regards
Google is your friend

http://www.hrv.co.nz/

Home ventilation
Old May 20th 2012, 7:59 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

think we might just put up with the weepy windows, open them as soon as up and wipe down as much as possible. Really don't want to be spending out lots of money on something that we might not need in another 6 weeks.
Old May 20th 2012, 8:19 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Unless physics has changed (er, no)! you can neither create nor destroy matter you simply change it's state. So when you burn a kilo of hydrocarbon (gas) you will change it's state via combustion into water. Our atmosphere is absorbent and can absorb warm water vapour, thus increasing it's humidity, and it can retain that humidity until either the air temperature decreases or it comes into contact with cooler surfaces which then causes it to release it's moisture content in the form of condensation.

OK lesson over, Simple answer - don't use gas heaters
Old May 21st 2012, 12:21 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
Simple answer - don't use gas heaters
Old May 21st 2012, 1:21 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
And when you get your own house, get a HRV fitted, we have just had one installed , and no more crying windows, eben though we got double glazing the aluminium still sweats and slightly misty windows, but HRV is awesome, house is dryer and warmer througout.
nice idea but how much does it cost???
Old May 21st 2012, 4:37 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
nice idea but how much does it cost???
Warning Will Robinson, Warning!

Have a look at my previous posts on HRV and the like. For everyone that works there are as many that don't, (and that excludes the running costs).

Beware and approach with caution
Old May 21st 2012, 7:00 am
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, we're International House Sitters! :)
Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute

Our previous rental property had 5 bedrooms and one large open plan room that contained the kitchen plus dining and sitting areas, and had exposed ceiling wooden beams. In the colder months we woke up to windows covered top to bottom in condensation in every single room, and we found mould growing on the wooden beams, and on the back of every piece of wooden furniture. Any clothes that didn't get used and washed regularly smelt musty. Yuk! I had to use my asthma inhaler in the house on a few occasions, when I usually only need it for emergencies (I can have a strong reaction to some cats).

The owners had the ceiling cleaned and treated professionally and a DVS ventilation system installed throughout the house. Goodbye condensation, goodbye mould and there goes the inhaler back in the drawer. When we buy a house, we will be very tempted to put some money aside to have the same thing done that's for sure.

Our new rental property only has a noisy heat pump downstairs and about 3 weeks ago we started getting condensation. So we bought a dehumidifier which is doing a great job. At the moment we have to empty it every couple of days, so I suspect it'll be daily in the winter - it's unbelievable the amount of water it collects!

So I'd also recommend investing in a dehumidifier like others have pointed out.

I also make sure the house is ventilated for a couple of hours in the morning, but that's just me liking fresh air in the house rather than have anything to do anything with getting rid of condensation, though apparently it helps too
Old May 21st 2012, 7:29 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

you should still invest in a dehumidifier - even with the double glazing, hrv, heat pump, etc etc - they are still a friend in any nz home.... at worst you can put it in the garage and dry your washing next to it when the weather outside isn't condusive... much cheaper than the tumble dryer.
Old May 21st 2012, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Get yourself a proper dehumidifier, you'll not regret it even in your own place.

Is it a portable gas heater, if so they are the worst thing for creating condensation.
Totally agree, Mistubishi Oasis is the best one IMO. I found the condensation so awful that I had the house double glazed..that got rid of it, but the dehumidifiers are the cheaper option..they will provide an ambient heat source too.
Old May 22nd 2012, 4:53 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Warning Will Robinson, Warning!

Have a look at my previous posts on HRV and the like. For everyone that works there are as many that don't, (and that excludes the running costs).

Beware and approach with caution
i wouldnt get one to heat a house, but if you want to increase the air circulation (the number of times the air in your house is replaced by fresh) and even out the temperature of your rooms, they seem to work well IMHO.

Like most other things relating to having a comfortable home, alot will depend on how well insulated your house is.
Old May 22nd 2012, 5:05 am
Who loves you, baby?

I'd never say don't get a HRV, but I would say get one from someone who actually knows about ventilation, and most HRV or any similar type system, salespeople haven't a clue on ventilation. (and are on commission).

I've been to several homes with poorly installed systems which do bugger all, except cost the owner money and anyone with just a basics in air dynamics could see that from the outset.
Old May 22nd 2012, 8:57 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

I'd never say don't get a HRV, but I would say get one from someone who actually knows about ventilation, and most HRV or any similar type system, salespeople haven't a clue on ventilation. (and are on commission).

I've been to several homes with poorly installed systems which do bugger all, except cost the owner money and anyone with just a basics in air dynamics could see that from the outset.
point taken
Old May 22nd 2012, 9:59 am
Just Joined

adotie is an unknown quantity at this point

help please! This has sparked some debate in our house! Hubby has been told by friends at work that if we have a heatpump we shouldn't need a de-humidifier, and now thinks we haven't been using it properly - cycling through the 'heat' and 'dry' settings respectively, rather than leaving it set to 'dry' for hours. The windows are streaming and everything is starting to feel damp. I actually saw steam coming out of our printer from the damp paper in it!! Should we be getting a dehumidifier as well? Or should the heatpump (properly used - what is 'properly'?) be doing the job?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.