British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   help with child care qualifications (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/help-child-care-qualifications-509327/)

tonyhelen Jan 26th 2008 8:47 pm

help with child care qualifications

Hi can anyone help me i have a city and Guilds in family and community care that i took in 1985 this has enabled me to work in private day nurseries and also as a sole charge nanny. I'm currently self employed as a childminder do they have childminders in NZ? We are hoping to emigrate to Auckland does anyone know what my qualifications would be equivalent to in NZ.

Here comes the sun Jan 26th 2008 9:55 pm

Re: help with child care qualifications

My sister is a UK registered childminder, she works for an agency in NZ she could pay to convert her qualifications but the agency told her they would list her as a UK qualified childminder to get round this. She has had plenty of work and it doesnt affect her wage.

www.porsenz.com this is a childcare agency for nannies, childminders etc.

www.babysitters4u.co.nz this is a site which covers most of NZ, you can advertise vacancies although they seem to call childminders babysitters in some parts - worth a look.

tonyhelen Jan 27th 2008 8:59 am

thanks for that good to know there is work out there.

Am Loolah Jan 27th 2008 9:04 am

Originally Posted by tonyhelen (Post 5844386)
thanks for that good to know there is work out there.

They have a problem here in NZ now having introduced new legislation (came into effect 1st jan) whereby 50% of all childcare staff in nurseries need to hold a teacher training qualification - but as is always the way with childcare - wages are so low the nurseries are struggling to finance the staff.:unsure: Now looks like they may have to have a rethink on it or address some kind of funding from the Government.

When we had a nursery in London, 50% of our staff had to be Qualified - but not be teachers ... C&G, NNEB, PGCE were all recognised.

We are looking into going back in to nurseries here and are just beginning the research, so if I can find out more I'll let you know. Although there may also be council differences as there were in London to a certain extent.

tonyhelen Jan 27th 2008 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 5844403)
They have a problem here in NZ now having introduced new legislation (came into effect 1st jan) whereby 50% of all childcare staff in nurseries need to hold a teacher training qualification - but as is always the way with childcare - wages are so low the nurseries are struggling to finance the staff.:unsure: Now looks like they may have to have a rethink on it or address some kind of funding from the Government.

When we had a nursery in London, 50% of our staff had to be Qualified - but not be teachers ... C&G, NNEB, PGCE were all recognised.

We are looking into going back in to nurseries here and are just beginning the research, so if I can find out more I'll let you know. Although there may also be council differences as there were in London to a certain extent.

Thank you for that info i want to work in child care if we ever get to move as i have worked in this field most of my working life i am now 40

Am Loolah Jan 27th 2008 9:33 am

Originally Posted by tonyhelen (Post 5844484)
Thank you for that info i want to work in child care if we ever get to move as i have worked in this field most of my working life i am now 40

I have C&G in Childcare 0-7 years and this enabled me to be the proprietor of my own nursery in London - it wouldn't enable me to be here - not that I'd want to! You'd be best to enquire via the websites you've been given.

I have a colleague whose partner works for Kiddicorp here, a chain of nurseries, I can find out from her if it's any use - but we are in the Bay of Plenty, it may be different for different companies nationwide?

Dreamer Jan 27th 2008 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun (Post 5843035)
My sister is a UK registered childminder, she works for an agency in NZ she could pay to convert her qualifications but the agency told her they would list her as a UK qualified childminder to get round this. She has had plenty of work and it doesnt affect her wage.

www.porsenz.com this is a childcare agency for nannies, childminders etc.

www.babysitters4u.co.nz this is a site which covers most of NZ, you can advertise vacancies although they seem to call childminders babysitters in some parts - worth a look.

That sounds promising! Its alot less complicated than OZ sounds. Im a UK registered childminder too :)

tonyhelen Jan 27th 2008 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 5844490)
I have C&G in Childcare 0-7 years and this enabled me to be the proprietor of my own nursery in London - it wouldn't enable me to be here - not that I'd want to! You'd be best to enquire via the websites you've been given.

I have a colleague whose partner works for Kiddicorp here, a chain of nurseries, I can find out from her if it's any use - but we are in the Bay of Plenty, it may be different for different companies nationwide?

Thats great if you could find out we plan to move to Auckland but are really wiling to go anywhwere we can get work

P2L Jan 27th 2008 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 5844403)

Speaking to a Kiwi lady yesterday who is a regional mananger for ABC Learning on SI, she was saying that the nurseries won't finance the training because from 2010 80% of staff will have to be qualified, so those embarking on training at the moment will not be qualified in time for the cut off :huh: