Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help with bulldog shipping

Help with bulldog shipping

Old Nov 24th 2012, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help with bulldog shipping

AAAARRRGGHHH!
Anyone taken their Bulldog out with them recently?
Just spoke to Golden Arrow pet shippers and the lady said she didn't think we'd be able to take our British Bulldog as a lot of airlines won't take them due to their breathing problems!!!
Our boy is 4 and has NEVER had a problem with his breathing.
Chris from GA is ringing back on Monday.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 6:14 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with bulldog shipping

Has he spent 24hrs at 8,000ft before?

The shippers will be concerned about the flights and that is what it means, breathing problems that don't show at ground level can easily show up on long flights and cabins and holds are pressurised to approx 8,000ft equivalent.

It isn't the same as just sitting in his basket for 24hrs.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Has he spent 24hrs at 8,000ft before?

The shippers will be concerned about the flights and that is what it means, breathing problems that don't show at ground level can easily show up on long flights and cabins and holds are pressurised to approx 8,000ft equivalent.

It isn't the same as just sitting in his basket for 24hrs.
Surely the same can be said of any dog, lots of old dogs make the trip and despite his breed he is a fit and active dog.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Just did a quick google search and found this on http://www.expats-moving-and-relocat...r-travel.html:

Breed – Pug-nosed animals should never travel in the cargo hold of a plane. These breeds have short nasal passages that leave them especially vulnerable to lack of oxygen and a heat shock. If your dog is a pug-nosed, be sure to discuss the issue with your veterinarian and with the airline. Many airlines will not accept pug-nosed animals for air travel. Here are some examples of pug-nosed dogs: American Staffordshire, English toy spaniel, Dutch Pug, Shih Tzu, Staffordshire bull terrier, Brussels Griffin,Pekinese, Boston terrier, English bulldog, Japanese Pug and Japanese Spaniel.

Maybe it's worth talking to your vet? Good Luck, I hope you find a way around it.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

clairesw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Surely the same can be said of any dog, lots of old dogs make the trip and despite his breed he is a fit and active dog.
A quick google search brings up some worrying stories regarding the number of bulldogs that have not survived flights. I guess no- one knows how a dog will cope with the stress of flying, but the concern is obviously greater for those dog breeds who are prone to particular health problems.

I really do feel for you, we are planning on bringing our two doggies, so I can only imagine how you're feeling now.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I see Staffy is on the list, i brought mine over without a problem no body mentioned breathing problems to me ?

Neil
Old Nov 24th 2012, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh god, we've got some real soul searching to do. I couldn't bear him to suffer. The vet never mentioned anything when he had his rabies jab back in February.
Old Nov 24th 2012, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of

Friends of ours in Napier brought their Bulldog with them 2 years ago and had no problems.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We looked after our friends' pug for six months after his rabies jab while our friends settled back in the UK from NZ.

The pug did fly to the UK but flew via USA as only some airlines will fly them. He arrived fit and healthy and settled well in the UK.

Old Nov 26th 2012, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

After a long chat with Chris from Golden Arrow pet shippers we have made the decision to rehome our beloved dog. We've got plenty of time to find a great home where they understand the demands of a great big (soppy) bulldog. As long as he's got food and cuddles he'll be happy!
We decided we just couldn't run the risk of causing him to suffer. Air NZ are the only airline willing to fly bulldogs and you have to sign a disclaimer.
Not an easy decision but the best for him
Thank you to everyone for their advice and help x

Last edited by j19fmm; Nov 26th 2012 at 7:08 pm. Reason: sp
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:11 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

<hugs> for a painful decision...
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:27 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

yes BIG hugs. We had to leave our dog in the UK. being 11 we felt it was to much for him.
We rehomed through http://www.prodogsdirect.org.uk/. as we had used them previously to get my mum a dog and their checks to the rehoming houses were very thorough and they were extremely helpful and sensitive. I am also still in contact with the lovely couple that adopted our dog.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

A tough decision for you, so more big hugs coming your way
Old Dec 8th 2012, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by j19fmm
After a long chat with Chris from Golden Arrow pet shippers we have made the decision to rehome our beloved dog. We've got plenty of time to find a great home where they understand the demands of a great big (soppy) bulldog. As long as he's got food and cuddles he'll be happy!
We decided we just couldn't run the risk of causing him to suffer. Air NZ are the only airline willing to fly bulldogs and you have to sign a disclaimer.
Not an easy decision but the best for him
Thank you to everyone for their advice and help x
Sorry to hear your decision, I know it was a hard one to make, lots of hugs to you guys
Old Dec 8th 2012, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I see Staffy is on the list, i brought mine over without a problem no body mentioned breathing problems to me ?
Neil
Our dog Bella is a staffie. We used Golden Arrow and breathing problems were not mentioned. If they had I don't think I would have taken the risk. What an awful situation.
Kaz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.