Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Help- British electrician needs advice re: registration

Help- British electrician needs advice re: registration

Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

ryan mustchin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help- British electrician needs advice re: registration

Please can any electricians or people in the know give any advice re registering as an electricain in NZ. want to apply for residency as we have 140 points but do not want a job offer until arriving in Auckland so we can check out the areas etc but not sure how to go about it. any advice greatly appretiated.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Off2NZ will become famous soon enoughOff2NZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help- British electrician needs advice re: registration

Originally Posted by ryan mustchin
Please can any electricians or people in the know give any advice re registering as an electricain in NZ. want to apply for residency as we have 140 points but do not want a job offer until arriving in Auckland so we can check out the areas etc but not sure how to go about it. any advice greatly appretiated.
Hi Ryan

My hubby is an electrician and we've been here for just over 2 months. What you need to do first of all is send your C&G qualifications, deed of apprenticeship and full details of your work experience to the EWRB here in NZ. They will assess this paperwork and write back to you with their decision on what you need to do. If you have sufficient qualifications then you may be exempt from the electrician's theory exam and practical assessment stages. To be eligible to apply for the provisional licence you must undertake certain safety training requirements. There is a chap who visits London a couple of times a year and I would suggest you contact him (Nick Chandler pm me and I'll give you his details) as he runs the H&S courses in London - I know that he was there in May this year so not sure when he's planning on going again. The other alternative (which I don't think will apply to you if you want PR first) is to do the course over here (must admit a lot cheaper). So this may be an option if you were planning on a visit before you get residency or if you happen to get a job offer. That's the route we took: job offer, 6 month work visa to allow hubby to get his provisional licence over here and then (hopefully in a month or so now) PR.

Once you've passed the H&S requirement then you can apply to the EWRB for a provisional licence - this is the stage that my hubby is at now.

I hope that the above has helped but don't hesitate to ask anything else and we'll see what we can do to help!

G
Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

ryan mustchin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help- British electrician needs advice re: registration

Thanks very much for your reply.
We are thinking of using a consultant to gain PR would you advise this from your experience? How difficult is this to sort out ourselves? I have heard of Nick Chandler but could not find his email address for furthur info.
Consultancy companys cost an arm and a leg and its difficult knowing which to trust, especially after hearing some of the stories on chat rooms.

Hope to hear from you soon, thanks again for the helpful info.

Ryan

My hubby is an electrician and we've been here for just over 2 months. What you need to do first of all is send your C&G qualifications, deed of apprenticeship and full details of your work experience to the EWRB here in NZ. They will assess this paperwork and write back to you with their decision on what you need to do. If you have sufficient qualifications then you may be exempt from the electrician's theory exam and practical assessment stages. To be eligible to apply for the provisional licence you must undertake certain safety training requirements. There is a chap who visits London a couple of times a year and I would suggest you contact him (Nick Chandler pm me and I'll give you his details) as he runs the H&S courses in London - I know that he was there in May this year so not sure when he's planning on going again. The other alternative (which I don't think will apply to you if you want PR first) is to do the course over here (must admit a lot cheaper). So this may be an option if you were planning on a visit before you get residency or if you happen to get a job offer. That's the route we took: job offer, 6 month work visa to allow hubby to get his provisional licence over here and then (hopefully in a month or so now) PR.

Once you've passed the H&S requirement then you can apply to the EWRB for a provisional licence - this is the stage that my hubby is at now.

I hope that the above has helped but don't hesitate to ask anything else and we'll see what we can do to help!

G[/QUOTE]